Profile for L. Smith > Reviews

Content by L. Smith

L. Smith "JBUTTON4CHAMP" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Motorcycle Club (PS4)
Motorcycle Club (PS4)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible...in every sense of the word!, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Motorcycle Club (PS4) (Video Game)
Complete waste of time and money. Essentially it's an arcade game with perks similar to the likes of Crash Team Racing...but nowhere near as good. The handling and camera angles are terrible and soo frustrating that I (like others) found myself giving up after 5 minutes. Unfortunately there is just nothing positive to say about it! £30 down the drain.

Grid 2 - Race Day Edition (PS3)
Grid 2 - Race Day Edition (PS3)
Offered by SamuelUKMedia

2.0 out of 5 stars Miles behind Grid 1...what went wrong??, 7 Sept. 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Logically you would expect a video game sequel to be better than the first, or even slightly better in areas...but unfortunately Grid 2 fails on pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong, as a standalone racer its not too bad, but as a sequel to the excellent Grid, its miles behind in terms of the overall racing experience.

Pros:

1) Graphics are improved (as you would be expect as the original Grid was released 6 years ago!)
2) The WSR storyline is a neat addition - nice to see Toby Moody taking an interest!
3) Good use of soundtrack to create tense races.

Cons (and there's a lot of em!)

1) The handling isn't as good as it could be - it feels like a cheap arcade game. If you don't like drifting round every corner...you will not like Grid 2.

2) Probably the BIGGEST flaw is the absence of the cockpit camera. As this is 2013, 99% of people would expect such as thing as standard but not in this case. The camera views are very limited.

3) The flashback option has been dulled down, where you can no longer use any editing options during a replay, which is a pity.

4) The tracks are incredibly boring. You play the same fictitious circuits again and again so there's very little sense of progression.

5) There are one or two new game modes within career such as the overtake challenges, such this doesn't offer anything particularly unique. Where are the Le Man endurance races?? Gone. Instead an "Endurance race" now involves driving round a random track for 6 minutes!

6) Online is useless. Okay most racing games online do attract dirty drivers but the online races are so disastrous that it becomes unplayable. It becomes more frustrating than pleasurable.

7) No team mates. This was an excellent addition to Grid, where you could choose a team mate, and you work together to ultimately build your team using the money paid out by sponsors.

8) The customization isn't that great..in fact its no improvement at all. Very limited livery options.

Overall its not a great game. As said previously, if you are looking for a racing game that provides you with a bit of amusement then I would recommend it, but if you are expecting it to outperform RD Grid, then I feel you will be disappointed.

Monoprice Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphone - Silver
Monoprice Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphone - Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars The price says it all! Cheap but not so cheerful!, 27 Mar. 2013
I love my music and therefore tend to get through headphones pretty quickly. I usually buy Sony headphones though I have found, like many other manufacturers, the quality gets worse yet the price increases. For music, these headphones are not ideal, as they will most likely suit the occasional listen to videos online for example. For the price, they do the job but they are by no means amazing (slightly exaggerated in other reviews in my opinion)....but thats if they work! Mine arrived faulty. The left earpiece wouldnt work at all! Okay for a fiver you cant expect a great deal and you obviously cannot compare to the likes of Sony, Panasonic etc, but to receive a product that doesn't function at all is ridiculous. With regards to sound quality, the fact it states they are 'Enhanced Bass' is ridiculous. I tried these headphones (using the one earpiece!) on several devices and the treble was soo high that there was literally no bass at all. I found them to give me a headache after a few minutes and inevitably sent them back to the manufacturer.

On the plus side, Monoprice refunded be promptly but as for this product I would certainly steer clear!

Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PS3)
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PS3)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt live up to the promise!, 23 Sept. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
In all honestly this game isnt all that bad. As stated by other reviewers the graphics and soundtrack is very good, the tracks look atmospheric, and the head turning camera is a nice feature for realism. However...the handling of the cars and the AI is diabolical. Its strange, as this game doesnt aim to be a simulation or an arcade racer...its almost a cross between the two. I think the majority of people will find it more frustrating than fun when any car you drive fails to hit the apex of any corner or even stay on the track for that matter! To add insult to injury, the AI are very inconsistent and will often barge you off the track (which is actually encouraged as you are awarded points!) or have an unfair advantage in terms of speed. I cant even imgaine what the online play has to offer!

Overall this games fails at trying to be something it isnt! I imagine the developers were experimenting with the NFS franchise to try and offer something different to destructive, simulation or arcade-like gameplay. The problem is it doesnt excel in any of these areas!

Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player
Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic player in every way....but why the poor remote??, 28 July 2010
I spent a long time trying to decide which Toshiba player to get. I always used my PS3 to play DVD's but it wouldnt upscale nor would it play region 1 DVD's. After a long time researching, it came down to this model (SD3010) or the SD390. The impressive reviews tempted me to buy the 3010.

Upon purchase, I was relieved to discover that it was only 33cm wide, and fitted beautifully in my desk compartment.

The first thing I thought when I received the player, was how light and small the player was. Its pretty amazing how this player is half the depth of my previous DVD player and £40 cheaper. The quality is pretty good but the remote is poorly designed. The buttons are very hard, therefore they are unresponsive at times. The other downside is that the player is not multiregion ready, although it can be hacked (like mine was) to enable it to play all region DVD's.

Pros:

> Small, lightweight design, that is very attractive.

> Very quiet - it does make a noise when loading or when you are navigating through menu's but this is to be expected.

> It upscales - this doesnt apply to every DVD though.

> Good build quality - doesnt seem flimsy like most players on the market

> Multiregion compatibility - just use the hack for the SD 390 model, as I think it applies to every Toshiba SD model player.

> Very simple to set up - no need to mess about with all usual rubbish.

> Cheap and cheerful - very reasonable price tag

Cons:

> Terrible remote control - unfortunatly this player has to have the worst remote control Ive ever seen. The buttons are very hard, so they dont always respond first time. They also could have been A LOT bigger! Simple design flaw. The remote does the job though but I hate using it.

> You cant see how many minutes/hours are left on a DVD whilst its playing. Its a strange feature not to display for such a modern DVD player. Other reviewers for the SD 390 model, have also mentioned that the display takes up half the screen when it is shown. This is exaggerated slightly and it does not cause any problems.

> Not multiregional until a hack is used - this was one of the main reasons I bought this player! However it is now.

Overall this player is certainly worth considering. In my opinion it is far superior to any of the other players Ive seen, such as the Samsung H1080, especially as its at such a bargain price.

UPDATE 27/3/13

Having only had this player for just over 2 years now, it is showing signs of giving up, which is quite surprising. It sometimes freezes when you pause, which is to be expected, but then it doesnt play! However I have since found that stop the DVD and restarting it solves this problem, but it is a problem that shouldn't be there and disrupts your viewing. My hope is that it last a few more years but it looks like the build quality is not as high as I anticipated!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2012 12:11 AM BST

Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included
Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles better than an Ipod!! A perfect player!, 28 Jun. 2010
I owned an Ipod back in 2004 and couldnt stand them. After a few months I got tired of encountering problems with a supposedly high quality player. I later figured that you are buying into the Apple brand as apposed to a high quality product, so I decided to look for an alternative.

Since then, Ive always owned Sony Walkmans and I have had no problems at all. The quality is fantastic, and features everything you could possibly need on a player. However, I still needed a player suitable for the gym that was small and light. Unfortunately the walkman didnt fit the bill, so I began researching other players. I then came across this player and after reading the reviews, I figured this would a perfect gym friendly player. Considering the Sansa brand is not as well known as Sony, I didnt expect anything amazing when I placed an order.

When the player arrived, I was very surprised as to how small the player was. I was particularly fussy about having a screen so I can select music easily. For me, the player is perfect in every way.

Pros:

> Fantastic sound quality! It blows most other players out the window, particualrly the Ipod Shuffle.

> Surprisingly very good quality! The buttons are easy to use and very responsive. They also light up, as does the screen, so its that much easier to use when its dark.

> Very long battery life! Almost as good as my Sony Walkman.

> Very reasonable price tag

> Clear and bright display

> Great range of features! A much more advanced equaliser than most players, an FM radio, voice recorder and more!

> Theres an on/off button. I know this sounds ridiculous, but most players do not have an on/off button that actually turns the player off. For example, on the Sony Walkman you have to hold down the 'home' button to put it on standby. Whilst on standby, its still using power. Also, if a button is pressed accidently, the player will not turn on, which the Sony Walkman will do.

Cons:

> There arent any! The only feature that could've been better is the FM radio. Its often difficult to scan for stations.

Overall, this is a fantastic player. However I will still be keeping my Walkman purely because its 16GB, has video and a bigger screen. However for the price thi player is brilliant (I paid £20!)

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
Offered by crazyukdropship

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible! Blows COD straight out the water!, 17 April 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I first played this game, I absolutely loved it! The visuals are incredible. You feel soo involved. Personally this blows COD out of the water. Very few glitches as well. The only thing I dont like with BF BC2 is that the running is very slow, although it is more realistic.

As for the gameplay, its very immersive. It can be difficult at times, unlike COD, but thats what makes the game challenging. A lot of the levels in this game rely on teamwork, compared to COD.

All in all, this game is brilliant. Its a pity not many people realise actually how good this is. Its certainly up there with Call Of Duty.

Deja Vu [DVD]
Deja Vu [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Soo much patential, poor execution!, 15 April 2010
This review is from: Deja Vu [DVD] (DVD)
This film is certainly not worth a 1 star rating nor is it worth a 5 star. Its an average thriller to be honest that felt incomplete towards the end. Denzel did not perform to the standard expected from such as great actor.

On the other hand, the plot looked very intriguing. A piece of technology that allows people to see the past and change it, sounded quite interesting despite being a little too farfetched. Personally, I feel there was far too much dialogue and not enough action.

Overall a pretty average thriller, without many thrills! However I do give credit to the director Tony Scott (some fantastic camera shots!)

There are also lots of other films starring Denzel that are a lot better in terms of performance (such as John Q and American Gangster)

Bottom - Live 2003 - Weapons Grade Y-Fronts Tour [DVD] [1993]
Bottom - Live 2003 - Weapons Grade Y-Fronts Tour [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Rik Mayall
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing!, 17 Mar. 2010
I am a huge fan of the Bottom series and really looked forward to watching the live shows. I loved the TV series. I have enjoyed all of their live shows so far...until I watched this one.

Out of all their live shows, this is certainly their worst. Although they work soo well together as a duo, I felt this live show just didnt flow. There was no decent plot, unlike the other shows and the acting was nowhere near as good.

One of the main reasons I didnt like this show particularly, was because of the amount of swearing it has in it. I dont mind it now and again, such as during mistakes, but this had too much of the F word in it. I felt as though a lot of it was used to waste time, such as the song at the end of the show.

The show overall is very confusing and doesnt flow as well as any other show they've done.

Overall an average buy, but if you love Bottom, I recommend any of the other shows except this one.

Hospital Tycoon (PC CD)
Hospital Tycoon (PC CD)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

1.0 out of 5 stars THE most annoying and frustrating game you will ever play!, 12 Feb. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This game is trully awful. It feels like no thought or effort has gone into it at all. It may be cheap, but its for a reason!

Pros:

I don't actually think there are any!

Cons:

· Incredibly slow loading times! I've never had a game that's taken sooo long to load.

· The receptionist who guides you through the game is as annoying as ever! She just repeats this gibberish all the time. I had to turn the sound off!

· Very glitchy gameplay

Overall, not a good buy. If your looking for a hospital simulation, then Theme Hospital is still on top in my opinion. Don't waste your money on this mess!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3