Profile for Jason C > Reviews

Populous (Nintendo DS)
Offered by PNA247

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT REMAKE OF A CLASSIC GAME, 12 Feb. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After playing and being a big fan of the original game (I have played it on the Amiga and the Sega Master System), I was somewhat apprehensive about this game plus the other reviewers don't seem to like it that much. I shouldn't have worried. This is perhaps the most addictive DS game I have ever played. Yes the tutorial is long but worthwhile, and you spend too much time looking at the bottom screen rather than looking at the graphics on the top screen but this is a great version which expands and improves on the original. Most DS remakes of classic games I have been disappointed with (Sim City for instance was awful) but they have really done this game justice and updated it just enough to get brand new players interested. Excellent!

MARILLION / SOMEWHERE ELSE
MARILLION / SOMEWHERE ELSE
Offered by Townsend Records

2.0 out of 5 stars I hate to say it but... it's not very good!, 13 July 2007
I have been a Marillion fan since 1985 and have become even more of a fan over the last 7 years or so. Their last 2 albums - Anoraknophobia and Marbles were both fantastic efforts so naturally I waited for the arrival of album 14 with a certain degree of excitement.

After it arrived I played it and was severely underwelmed. It seemed there were maybe 3 or possibly 4 good tracks on the album. Oh well I thought, maybe its a grower as so many of their albums are. It took me years to like Brave and now I rank it as one of their best. But after repeated listens I'm afraid It isn't growing on me at all.

The tracks Somewhere Else, A Voice From the Past, The Wound are all great but the rest seems like a band going through the motions. I hate to write a bad review of these guys because I love their music and after seeing them on the Somewhere Else tour twice I still think they are the best band in the world. This just isn't the best album in the world. It's probably their worst since Radiation. Sorry Guys!

MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE
MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but why only 1 disc???, 25 Oct. 2005
This is more or less the soundtrack to the the Marbles On The Road DVD recorded at London's Astoria Club in 2004, where they performed the entire 1 disc version of the Marbles album with the excellent track Estonia thrown in for good measure. The performance from H and co. is as always excellent but it would have been so much better if we had a double cd which included the rest of the show (including the between song banter which has been edited out here!), as people who were there would know this is only about half of it. But listening to this still reminds me of a cold, windy night in Newport queing to see my favourite band for the first time! Marbles is one of Marillion's all time great albums and is right up there with Afraid of Sunlight, Brave and Anoraknophobia in its genius. I don't really know who this release is aimed at, anyone who has the 1 disc version of Marbles would be more or less buying the same album again, the avid Marillion fan would already have the dvd. Perhaps its for the the type of Marillion fan who just buys anything with their name on the front cover. (ie me!!). Don't be put off though - this is a band at the top of their game performing one of their best albums live.

Doctor Who - Pyramids Of Mars [1975] [DVD] [1963]
Doctor Who - Pyramids Of Mars [1975] [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER TOM BAKER CLASSIC COMES TO DVD, 13 Feb. 2004
Pyramids of Mars at last comes to dvd. This is one of the best Tom Baker stories, definately in the top 5 up there with Talons Of Weng Chaing and City of Death. There is little to fault with this story. Tom Baker is at the top of his game - giving a brilliantly alien perfomance as the doctor. And of course that speech containing "I'm not a human being - I walk in eternity" is fantastic. No other Doctor apart from Tom could deliver it so perfectly. Elizabeth Sladen as Sarah is also excellent as usual. The story is what you expect from the classic era of Dr Who - egyptian mythology, robot mummies, gothic mansions, its all here! All this and Michael Sheard aswell!
Needless to say the dvd will come with the sort of features you expect from the bbc Dr Who range which have on the whole been excellent. (Hopefully a Tom Baker Commentry!!)

Steve Coogan in ... Coogan's Run [DVD]
Steve Coogan in ... Coogan's Run [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent series, 12 Nov. 2003
Coogans Run is a fantastic series which had me laughing out loud when it was broadcast. The best episode of the 6 here is Dearth of a Salesman. Gareth Cheeseman is perhaps the funniest character Steve Coogan has ever played. You can tell that a lot of Alan Patridge's later characteristics were based on him (When this was broadcast Alan Partidge had still only been seen as a chat show host!). Fantastic!