Profile for JW > Reviews

Elf Jumper unisex, Size XL, black
Offered by Principatus

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, Good Quality, Good Jumper, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Elf Christmas Jumper
I bought this for a party where the dress code was Christmas Jumpers and I didn't regret paying more than I planned. Its great quality jumper, it fitted well and the cut made it hang properly. The pattern is as funny as it looks and I think ill buy a elf hat for next year as ill definitely be keeping this for several Christmases yet to come, long may it reign as king of the jumpers :-)

Monitor Audio I-DECK 100 Wired Active
Monitor Audio I-DECK 100 Wired Active
Offered by Audio Impact Torino

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Perfectly Formed, 17 Jan. 2013
I bought this as a present and whilst setting it up I was instantly tempted to buy another for myself. The sound quality is impressive, the set-up is simple, the controls intuitive, the design attractive, and the variety of positioning useful. The build quality is also noticeably better than some of its competition particularly at this price point.

The one I bought is being used a replacement for a kitchen radio combined with and iphone 4 running a variety of apps such as BBC iplayer, BBC iplayer Radio, and the native iphone music app previously known itunes. It fills the room with sound well and although not a replacement for a full stereo for most users it would cope admirably if pressed into this role and its certainly a good fit for a teenagers bedroom, a family kitchen or a smaller living room. The sweet spot varies according to the set up position and the type of room its placed in but its not fussy or difficult and is basically just, position first then plug in a play.

If you have and iphone and you want a decent dock, especially at the discounted price you cant go far wrong with one of these.

BHL Luminarc Glass Quadro Fridge Jug 1.0 Litre, White Lid
BHL Luminarc Glass Quadro Fridge Jug 1.0 Litre, White Lid
Offered by Astra Discount

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 4 July 2012
I first saw this type of Fridge Jug design when I was a little kid at a friends house and even then I was struck coolness of its Art Deco inspired form. When one day I found need of my own fridge jug I went searching and, much to my satisfaction, found it. I personally use mine to store freshly squeezed orange juice so I don't have to mess about every day and the 1 litre version is big enough for enough juice for me a for week, although I do water down with ice cubes.

Simply put its a classic beautiful design, its well made, easy to clean, efficient in terms of space it takes up in your fridge and frankly timeless, every fridge deserves one.

Peers Hardy Coin Jar Uk Version
Peers Hardy Coin Jar Uk Version
Offered by san direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, fun & Educational, 22 April 2012
This is my second Money Box / Saving jar / Cash Counter I have bought, the first being cheap looking in comparison despite being more expensive not to mention the reliability issues of the spring loaded coin trap which is particularly something you should consider when buying a device of this type. That said its still working, just, which is probably why its not on sale anymore.

This device on the other hand feels well built, the action is robust, the controls simple and intuitive and its big enough for kids and big kids alike to store their change. Its also quite funky looking in a chunky sort of way whilst not being too big for easy storage or too small to fill up too quickly.

This jar is an ideal present for anyone, or to yourself, if your looking to easily tidy up spare change and keep track of its value.

Delia's Complete How To Cook: Both a guide for beginners and a tried & tested recipe collection for life
by Delia Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic!, 7 April 2012
`Delias's Complete How to Cook' guide by BBC Books is one of those must have cookery texts that suit's the beginner and accomplished cooks alike.

It is a book of two halves, the "How to Cook" element and the Recipe collection but in my opinion 90% of the value in this book lies in the former. This bias is probably personal, having grown up with Delia Smith explaining basic techniques to me on a regular basis through the TV. I have always felt that this is what Delia does best and even if you think you know, this book, frequently, gently and politely shows you a better way. The Section on eggs alone was worth the price of the book and as a result I changed how I cook poached and scrambled eggs completely. Given that this is just one section amongst many you can easily appreciate how much value this book potentially holds to any reader, regardless of skill level or experience.

The Second part of the book is the recipe collection which, in my opinion, is more filler than killer unlike the excellent `How To' section. I am not suggesting that you will be disappointed with the Recipes, far from it, however Delia has been writing Recipes for decades and sometimes I feel her recipes, in the need to be different from the last batch , occasionally end up too fussy and drift too far from that simple perfection that Delia does so well.

In conclusion this book is an excellent purchase or gift for any cook, beginner or accomplished. It's well structured, excellently illustrated and a delight to dip into. The proof of course is in the pudding and of all the dozens of cookery books I own this is often the first I turn to and overall the most well used of them all.

In short this book is one of my choices for one of the Gospels of a metaphoric cooking Bible and it is a `must have' for any kitchen shelf.

Cuisinart ICE40BCU Ice Cream Maker Duo
Cuisinart ICE40BCU Ice Cream Maker Duo

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible, Robust and Simple, 5 April 2012
I bought the Cuisinart ICE40BCU Ice Cream Maker Duo after spending what seemed like an age reading reviews and after examining every model I could get my paws on. I quickly decided on the frozen bowl method that this product uses over the significantly more expensive and IMHO less flexible compressor equipped method and from their it was just a matter of choosing which make and model I wanted.

My initial concerns about buying this model were largely related to the size of the unit and amount of ice-cream it would make in one go which more than likely far exceeded my needs. However the reality of the two bowl design actually means that you have two smaller bowls rather than one big one, so you can make less simply by using just one bowl.

Furthermore you can also make two different flavours at the same time using half your recipe base with your chosen flavours for one bowl and the rest in the other bowl with each bowl producing a rough equivalent of tub of normal ice cream you can get from the shops as typified by the recipes in Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book.

The major drawback with the frozen bowl method is that once you make a batch you need to wait for your bowl to freeze again which can take up to 24 hours. However with a two bowl device like this one you can always have at least one bowl in the freezer thus your always able to produce ice cream on demand.

The Cuisinart ICE40BCU Ice Cream Maker Duo seems sturdily built and particularly the bowls turn rather around the paddles rather than vice versa which seems a more robust design. The two small bowls are also much easier to squeeze into a freezer draw than the larger one bowl designs which is worth bearing in mind and often overlooked. It can be quite noisy when churning but this is hardly an issue for the amount of time you will be using it given that it runs for very little time until its churned. None of the ice-cream makers I have played with seem easy to clean but this isn't at least proportionally particularly difficult.

In conclusion its well built, flexible and simple to use piece of equipment that will enable you to make better ice-cream than you can buy at a reasonable price.

CORE Battery for Petzl Headlamps by Petzl
CORE Battery for Petzl Headlamps by Petzl

5.0 out of 5 stars cheaper, greener, easier, lighter and simpler, 5 April 2012
The Petzl Core rechargeable battery whether bought as part of a package Petzl Tikka XP Core or as an addition to a head torch you already own such as Tikka XP 2 is an excellent choice for those people seeking a more reliable and flexible solution to powering your petzl head torch.

You can set your power profiles according to your activity need and change it as easily as plugging it in to your laptop and letting the configuration utility fire up and auto detect it. Charging it couldn't be easier given the ubiquitous global presence of USB and the battery really does seem to last as long as you choose it to. Finally if you do ever run out of power on the move then a PowerTraveller PowerMonkey-Explorer Portable Charger - Yellow will sort you out or failing that in emergencies just remove the Core battery pack and drop in your chosen shop bought batteries.

My major concern, given I use it as head torch would be that the battery pack would be too heavy and although it is a little heavier than the batteries its in no way a problem and if anything the overall weight of my pack has dropped due to the capacity of the Core and the fact I don't need spares any more. Furthermore i think that this battery pack will pay for itself in battery savings in as little as at most a dozen charges or less depending on the type of batteries you were buying.

In my opinion it's a cheaper, greener, easier, lighter and a simpler solution than carrying packs of batteries around and must for any prospective or current Petzl user regardless of the specific purpose you have in mind for it.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fun!, 18 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The Game is set in the Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Universe and as such draws upon well over 2 decades worth of continuous background development. That said knowledge of that universe is neither required nor any practical advantage. That said however if you have had, even a passing, introduction to the universe at some point you will appreciate some of the little touches as well as the overall look and feel of the game. Its the first time that I have played a game where the full, supposed might of a Space Marine / Astartes has been realised.

The Linear Game Play to me feels much like a Hybrid of Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360) for its perspective and ranged combat, minus the cover hugging, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Xbox 360) for its hand to hand elements. This isn't really a surprise as Gears of War always felt to me to be inspired by the Warhammer 40K Universe and conversely I always felt elements of Warhammer 40k were inspired by the Star Wars Universe. If you like either of those games or both then you will like this game. What it does that neither the others have done thus far is combine them fluidly into one.

For fans of ranged combat, there's a variety of `Canon' weapons with which you can engage the enemy in frantic fire fights complete with special weapons, exotic weapons, a couple of sniper options, pistols and heavy weapons although the basic bolter is hard to beat for gory death inducing fun. For lovers of melee there's and equal selection of `Canon' weapons with accompanying abilities, not to complex combos and plenty of gore. I particular like the execution / finishing moves feature which apart from dispatching enemies quicker gives you some health back when your low.

There's also a `Fury' you fill up that when activated gives, for a limited time, some significantly increased melee ability, health recharging and a `bullet time' like ranged firing skill which makes everyone go all slow mo as you blow them away. This feels like the force meter in Force Unleashed II and is as much fun as it is utility.

I could say more but that would be unnecessary to a Game Play review and would most likely contain spoilers.

This game is ok on Normal and Challenging on Hard, as it should be, unlike some others. Its got 50 Achievements and although I did 23 of them on one play through its going to take a some effort to get more although you wont be loosing months to one part of one level like on some games.

I am not the biggest Multiplayer Fan out there and I usually stick to FPS if I do but its good fun and that really is the point but maybe you should look to another review for a fuller brief on the Multiplayer aspect.

Overall I liked this game a lot, I got several gaming sessions for my money on the first play through and that was just on Normal Difficulty, hard will give you much more playing time. Its not quite as epic as Gears of War nor quite as intrinsic as The Force Unleashed but it has that same GREAT cinematic feel, with decent voice acting, script and characters. I would guess that this game engine, with all its glorious giga death gore will spawn many a sequel and ill be buying all of them. Now just got to get a few more achievements before I trade in and Play Gears of War 3.

If I were you, I'd buy it but then again I did :-)

Caledor (The Time of Legends)
Caledor (The Time of Legends)
by Gav Thorpe

5.0 out of 5 stars The Conclusion of the Sundering Trilogy, 7 July 2011
This is the third book in the Sundering trilogy from the Black Library Time of Legends series and continues the telling the story of the separation of the eleven people into the Dark Elves and High Elves during an apocalyptic civil war within the realm of Ulthuan and set in the Warhammer Fantasy World.

This book is told from the point of view of Caledor and like the second book Shadow King (Time of Legends: The Sundering)and the first book Malekith (Time of Legends) there is overlap between the three accounts, explaining events detailed in the other books, where relevant, but from the point of view of this books protagonist.

The book effectively brings the story to its climatic and apocalyptic conclusion. Its maintains a decent pace throughout although the central character of Caledor is somewhat, understandably limited to a passenger in the story as opposed to being it's fulcrum as in the other two books. Without offering spoilers the book does feel less personal and more of historic account than the other two but perhaps this was unavoidable and as long as this is considered the book is no less interesting or enjoyable and is a fine conclusion to an epic tale.

The author Gav Thorpe always seems to have one one eye on keeping his Black Library (Warmammer / Warhammer 40,000 uiverse) books interesting and imaginative whilst keeping it more tightly accurate to established canon of these fictional universes than some of his contempoaries. He is, for my money, as fan of books set in these Universes one of the best Black Library authors in their current stable.

Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
by Ben R. Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun yet Useful and Reliable Recipe Book, 4 Jun. 2011
I bought this book to go with a Cuisinart ICE40BCU Ice Cream Maker Duo which I also just purchased although I imagine others ice cream makers will also do. The book, like the ice cream maker, is aimed at the amateur home chef / cook / ice cream fancier with no experience of ice cream making required or advised.

The book quickly, effectively and entertainingly walks you through the basics of making ice cream and also supplies you with recipes for many different flavours. Also included are recipes for the various ingredients like their brownies that are a staple of Ben & Jerry's style ice cream as well as toppings like hot chocolate fudge sauce.

The main strength of the book though is the 3 basic ice cream base recipes that you can use to make your own flavours outside the recipes provided which effectively turns your kitchen into your own ice cream lab. To that end they also supply a few well earned tips and tricks to make your experiments easier such as alcohol lowers the freezing temperature so don't use too much or freeze your bowls to a lower temp which was useful for making rum and raisin.

The proof of course is in the eating and at the first try I was turning out lovely ice cream, better than I could buy, at a fraction of the cost and of course without any of the preservatives, additives and colourings in some other ice cream makes which is an issue for some kids and adults. Whether you like it soft, almost Mr Whippy style straight from the ice cream maker (which takes about 30 - to 40 minutes) or more frozen like Ben & Jerry's (add a further two hours in freezer) you can easily make it.

Rarely have I been this pleased with a recipe book especially at this price and apart from at the cinema I think nothing else but home made will be good enough now. My favourite bit was when we did a taste test between Ben's Chocolate ice cream recipe and Jerry's ice cream recipe, both different both great.