Profile for C. M. Collier > Reviews

Content by C. M. Collier

C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zyliss Potato Masher
Zyliss Potato Masher
Offered by George and Freddie
Price: 5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Then It Smashed Them All to Bits!, 29 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this potato masher absolutely fantastic;mashed my potatoes in no time,much easier to clean than my old one,and really well made.
I have no hesitation in heartily recommending it to mash lovers everywhere.

Deep Blue Sea
Deep Blue Sea
by Tasmina Perry
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Read!, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Deep Blue Sea (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're looking for a really good book to stuff in your suitcase,look no further.Deep Blue Sea has mysterious deaths,romantic locations,romantic liaisons,tension,suspense;what more could you want?Actually my favourite bit is about the cafe that becomes Dot's Bakery,but you'll have to find out about that for yourself.
Really enjoyed this;get it and get packing today!

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
by Robin Sloan
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A Code to be Cracked AND the Key to Immortality,All in One., 28 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Absolutely fantastic;the best book I've read this year! Some of the best bits are Matropolis,a miniature city that Clay's friend Mat builds in their living room,using wire mesh,tinfoil and macaroni,amongst other things,and which has a tiny remote controlled airship which can dock at the top of the small Empire State Building.If that's not amazing,what is?
I also loved the Con-U storage facility,where the shelves are constantly moving,obviously a nod to Harry Potter.
Brilliant story,can't believe it's his first;can't wait for the next one!

Iams Dry Cat Food Senior and Mature Chicken 2.55 kg (Pack of 3)
Iams Dry Cat Food Senior and Mature Chicken 2.55 kg (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What it Says on the Pack!, 23 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have one mature cat and two others who are younger;they all enjoy this dry cat food and wolf it down,though to be honest there is not much they don't wolf down.This flavour is Chicken,(I have often wondered what would happen if cat food came in flavours that cats really enjoyed,like Rat,Bird,Spider,Fly and Bit of Rubbish Dragged from Binbag;would their popularity decrease in relation to their availability?)
Anyway,the cats really like it and are very healthy;it is not the cheapest out there but getting this 3 pack from Amazon is probably the best way to do it.

Antarctica: A Biography
Antarctica: A Biography
by David Day
Price: 25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Repeat the Scurrilous Lies about Captain Scott?, 22 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say I totally agree with previous reviewer Ms Stillman-Lowe and can only give this book 3 stars.David Day has merely lifted a portion of Roland Huntford's 1979 book, Scott and Amundsen,without bothering to check the facts.We now know from Ranulph Fiennes' book Captain Scott and Susan Solomon's The Coldest March that Scott was not a bumbling incompetent,but a victim of freak weather conditions and seduced by the idea of the new-fangled motor vehicles that promised so much.
Also,like others I was extremely disappointed by the small amount of black and white photos.When I buy a book about Antarctica I want to see the timeless beauty of the continent and am not satisfied with 8 pages of bits and bobs,including a poster of Shackleton's lectures and a stamp featuring Admiral Byrd's expedition.
Oh,and as many have observed,the maps are a joke.So, while I quite enjoyed parts of the book,I really can't wholeheartedly recommend it.

Disney Junior Jake and the Never Land Pirates Magical Story with Lenticular Front Cover (Disney Magical Story)
by Disney
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Cover!, 22 Jun 2013
It's hard to see in the picture,but the middle bit on the cover,with Jake and Captain Hook is actually in 3D,which makes it more exciting.The story is good too;Hook steals Cubby's harmonica and Jake and the crew have to try and get it back in time for the party.
Perfect for Jake fans;not too much text on each page,lots of big bright pictures,great size for small hands;Yo-ho,way to go!

The Examined Life
The Examined Life
by Stephen Grosz
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars I Found it Extremely Interesting!, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Examined Life (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was amazed by the insight of Stephen Grosz,particularly in the section called,"Closure".He points out that Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's stages of grief were originally intended to only apply to people suffering from a terminal illness,but that later she and others started to use these stages with regard to those grieving any loss.
I myself have heard these now referred to as "Rules"and have seen articles where we are advised to apply them to any loss at all,even something as small as losing a pen,arguing that we must grieve fully to obtain "Closure".I accepted this at the time,but Grosz points out that the situations of the terminally ill and those who are just grieving are completely different.We will never receive Closure in the way a dying person does;we will keep on living and be continually faced with loss of some kind,and to beat ourselves up because we have lost something and not achieved complete Closure is to grieve twice,putting unnecessary pressure on ourselves.
I had not realised this before I listened to the audiobook,and I really appreciate the insight I have gained,not just on this one subject but on much more,thanks to Stephen Grosz.

Season of the Witch
Season of the Witch
by Arni Thorarinsson
Price: 7.64

5.0 out of 5 stars I Thoroughly Enjoyed It!, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Season of the Witch (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am really getting into Icelandic fiction;I've always been fascinated by the place,although I've never been there.I found this book very interesting;I had had no idea about the problems with immigration and the clash of cultures.
This is a really good murder mystery;I managed to work out some of the clues,but I had no idea hoe everything fitted together till the end,and I must mention Polly!Can't wait for the next book to find out more about Polly the lorikeet,the real star of the show.Can't give too much away,but just wait till the end and you'll see what I mean!

This Is How It Ends
This Is How It Ends
by Kathleen MacMahon
Price: 10.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadness Warning!, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: This Is How It Ends (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If books had a Sadness Rating much like food on a menu has little flames or chilli peppers next to them so you know what to expect,this book surely deserves the full amount, whatever that may be. I can't recommend it as holiday reading;in fact why would you want to read something so sad,unless you were collecting tears for some reason?
This book is called This is How it Ends,and there were various clues that told me it was not going to end well at all,but even so I was shocked at how badly(and quickly)things went downhill. It's kind of sad that I wasn't too bothered by what happened to the main characters,but something which I can't reveal just came out of left field and completely threw me.
If you want to be shocked and saddened,this is definitely the book for you.If not,don't bother.

Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play
Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play
by Lucy Beresford
Price: 11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive and Helpful!, 12 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I personally found this book very helpful;I initially thought it would help me in my relationships with others,but the very first chapter is called Ourselves,which makes a lot of sense,and that was the one that changed me most.
I was treated very badly as a child,and never allowed to cry or even look sad,so I found the idea of developing compassion for myself,as a vital life skill,quite amazing! I love the way she says,"If we harangued someone in Sainsbury's the way we mentally harangue ourselves,we'd be escorted off the premises."
Lucy points out that,when we're hurting or angry or frustrated,we need to acknowledge this,which I realise will probably be incredibly obvious to most people,but not to me.
She has a Top Tip for managing emotions;try sitting patiently with these feelings to learn that,over time,they lose their intensity.I have never allowed myself to do this,but I have really tried to follow her advice and found it does work.
I am very impressed with this book and would definitely recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20