Profile for C. M. Collier > Reviews

Content by C. M. Collier

C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Actovite Life Probiotics 50 Billion CFU - Top Quality Product - One Months Supply - UK Manufactured with strict GMP Regulations - Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Bit Disappointed, 22 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been taking these for a while now,and have noticed no good effects;if anything my bloating seems worse;but I haven't had any bad effects either.I got these free to try from Amazon Vine so I think I'll finish the bottle,then that's it.
Apparently they help brain function and help fight fatigue,but I really don't feel any different.I'm a bit disappointed,they sounded good.

Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Goji Berries 250 g
Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Goji Berries 250 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Packaging,Tasty Berries,Reasonable Price, 19 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really love the simple,no-frills but elegant packaging on these Goji berries,and the pack is resealable too,which I like .The berries are tasty;tangy and chewy,and the Amazon price is extremely reasonable,I feel,considering you get a big bag and they are organic,which often pushes up the price.
I would definitely recommend them.

Silent Women: Pioneers Of Cinema
Silent Women: Pioneers Of Cinema
by Melody Bridges

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Have All These Women's Stories Been Suppressed for So Long?, 13 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book to be a bit of a mixed bag.I'm a big silent film fan,so I jumped at the chance to find out more about the roles women played at the start of the industry.In the Introduction the editors explain that the term "silent"does not just refer to silent films,but to the way women's work behind the scenes has been so completely swept under the carpet for so long. I thought I knew a few women film directors,but I was really surprised at how many have totally passed me by; apparently not by accident!
Each chapter is by a different writer;some appealed to me a lot more than others.Karen Day on Nell Shipman,of whose existence I had previously been unaware,is amazing.I have to say I was so impressed by the account of her exploits in front of and behind the camera I immediately purchased a Nell Shipman mouse mat from Amazon(I was looking for her autobiography,but the photo of her is so appealing,and the mouse mat is much cheaper.)
I was quite disappointed not to learn more about Ethyle Batley,who directed at least 65 British films between 1912 and 1916.She is mentioned briefly in the Foreword,but alas that is all we hear about her.
I found some of the other chapters a bit dry,(no mouse mat opportunities!) but I was absolutely appalled to read in the final chapter how women directors in the US have been deliberately shut out.Apparently women come under the category "Diversity",which means that if studios hire male ethnic minorities,they can get away with hiring no women at all.However,things are changing,Kathryn Bigelow has won the Best Director Oscar,and the book ends on a positive note.
After reading this I realise that this has been no mere oversight; women's contributions to the world of Cinema have not just been forgotten; they have been deliberately suppressed.Thankfully Silent Women is here to try and redress the balance.

The End of the World Running Club
The End of the World Running Club
by Adrian J Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Grabs You and Doesn't Let Go, 11 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow! This book just makes you realise how quickly things can be turned upside-down,(literally,in this case) and makes you wonder how you would cope in a similar situation.The book starts with Ed and Beth and their two children,Alice and Arthur,living in Edinburgh;Ed's overweight and not the best father,but they're doing OK.Within a week,there is a gigantic strike of asteroids or meteoroids;we never find out exactly what,and the family survives by hiding in the cellar.When they finally get out everything has changed;most people are dead,the roads are torn up,buildings demolished.When Ed becomes separated from his family,he has to try to get down to Cornwall to be reunited with them,and he only has three weeks.
What follows is a totally gripping,amazing feat of human endurance;and one Ed has not trained for.He's badly unfit,but with the help of new friends he's determined to try.On the way he has some incredible experiences,and my heart was in my mouth much of the time!I finished it in two days,hoping against hope that Ed could achieve the impossible.
This says on the cover"The only thriller you need to read this year" and I wouldn't quite go that far,but it certainly is a cracking read and I would definitely recommend it.

Why Did You Lie?
Why Did You Lie?
by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed Me and Would Not Let Me Go, 8 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Why Did You Lie? (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book just grabbed me and would not let me go.I read it over two days,and for the life of me I could not work out the connection between the groups of people till near the end.It starts with a rescue helicopter radioing a message about a missing man on a craggy rock in the sea.As the pilot gets nearer he spots the man,but then sees another body at the foot of the cliff.Shortly afterwards sees yet another body by the small lighthouse on the crag;this one has a woman with a knife kneeling over it.That's the Prologue,and if that doesn't have you hooked you must be made of stone.
This is a brilliant Icelandic thriller;I'm a big fan of Nordic Noir so was delighted to get an advance copy.I must mention the handy Pronunciation Guide at the beginning;I like to know how to say the names of people and places.
It's a fantastic read;I really,really enjoyed it,and have ordered several more by the same author.

The Fire Child
The Fire Child
by S. K. Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca Meets Poldark, 7 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Fire Child (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked this novel much more than the previous one The Ice Twins,which I found frankly ridiculous.This one's much better,but does remind me a lot of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca.They are both set in Cornwall, and have a lowly born heroine meeting and falling in love with a rich older man who's first wife died in mysterious circumstances.This story is entwined with the history of mining in Cornwall,which is how David's family made it's fortune,and there are fascinating photos,dating from the 1890's,of mining life to illustrate the book.
The book starts with Rachel,her new husband David,and David's son Jamie,living the perfect life at Carnhallow,a "great and beautiful house"in West Cornwall.Everything seems idyllic,but then Jamie starts acting strangely,claiming that his mother is still alive,and Rachel's suspicions are aroused.We gradually find out a lot more about the past,including Rachel's past;there are a lot of secrets.
This is a book that features mining,digging deep to discover treasures,and that's exactly what we get;we go deeper and deeper and finally discover the truth.This is an exciting,compelling book and I would definitely recommend it.

The Wonderful Adventure of Nils Holgersson (Penguin Hardback Classics)
The Wonderful Adventure of Nils Holgersson (Penguin Hardback Classics)
by Selma Lagerlöf

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating ang Instructive, 3 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely loved this enchanting story about Nils,a 14-year old boy,lazy and unkind to animals,who is transformed into a little gnome who can understand what animals say.When a flock of wild geese fly over his farm,a young gander wants to fly with them,and the now-gnome climbs on his back and away they go.The gnome,now called Thumbkin,has many adventures with the geese and sees much of the land.On the way he learns to be kind and helpful;this is a tale with a moral.but it's never preachy,always entertaining.
I was dying to find out what happened at the end,but this story ends very abruptly.Apparently,it's Part 1 of 2,,but I can't find the second one in this series yet;maybe it's not out yet.
Anyway,I would definitely recommend this story for children or grown-ups;it's fascinating AND instructive,with beautiful illustrations.

Rodial Dragon's Blood Discovery Kit
Rodial Dragon's Blood Discovery Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars I Tried the Best;Will I Have to Put Up With the Rest?, 29 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really loved this Discovery Kit,but was shocked to find the full sized items are so expensive!In this kit you get Cleansing Water,100ml.I was amazed to see how much makeup came off on the pad,and I don't even wear much makeup! For some time I've been bothered with blocked pores,little bits of dead skin I could scratch off.Well,after using this just once they all seemed to disappear;my skin looks cleaner and feels softer.
You also get Hyaluronic Tonic 50ml.You close your eyes and spray it on;I found this a bit hit and miss at first,but soon got the hang of it.It's supposed to give your skin a healthy glow and I really noticed the difference.Plus it smells really nice.
Sculpting Gel 9ml.This smells gorgeous and really seemed to make make face slightly more defined.
Hyaluronic Moisturiser 10ml.I have a patch of dry skin behind my ear that resists all moisturising creams,but from the first application of this cream the whole dry patch just vanished and felt like normal skin.
I loved all these and felt they really made a difference;however I will have to look out for special offers.I am spoiled now;I have tried the best ;will I have to put up with the rest?

Daisy in Chains
Daisy in Chains
by Sharon Bolton

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Big Sharon Bolton Fan, 25 May 2016
This review is from: Daisy in Chains (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Sharon Bolton,and I really enjoyed this latest book.I started off thinking Hamish Wolfe must be guilty,then I thought he must be innocent...I read the whole thing in one go and found it really exciting,although I gradually figured out the mystery about Daisy before the end.That didn't detract from my enjoyment though;this is a great read and I would definitely recommend it.

Post-it Notes - Neon Rainbow Yellow, Green, Purple, Pink, Orange - 12 Pads Per Pack - 100 Sheets Per Pad - 76 mm x 76 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Use With or Without Dispenser, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I run my life with Post-it notes,so was happy to try these;the first thing I noticed was the bright groovy colours,gave me a lift just looking at them.The second thing I saw was that they pop up like a concertina,so the next one's always ready.It says they are refills for a dispenser so I've ordered one,but you can use them perfectly well with or without;I just think a dispenser will look more efficient and be less likely to get lost.I'm very happy with my Post-its and can definitely recommend them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20