Profile for Ben Bowley > Reviews

Content by Ben Bowley

Ben Bowley "Ben Bowley" (Somerset, UK)

Asleep In The Bread Aisle
Asleep In The Bread Aisle
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 7.46

5.0 out of 5 stars He can definitely 'Spit', 13 May 2009
I got this album the other day and haven't listened to anything else since. I first heard `I love college' on Jo Whiley's show and like many others questioned whether this was Eminem's latest offering. But as the track progressed it came obvious this was not Eminem's work. Yes they have a very similar voice and both producing in the same genre, but for me these artists aren't as similar as first impressions would seem. I guess this issue has been heavily addressed through his early career, which has led to one of my favorite tracks `As I Em'. Instead of hiding the links between him and Eminem he decides to address the issue in superior style through this track! This is one of many outstanding tracks through this album, I can hear definite influence from Jay Z and can hear aspects of Lupe Fiasco in his work. Asher can certainly write some amazing lyrics and he can definitely `spit'.

The album has some great tracks throughout, very strong opening and it has a nice progression through the record. I was slightly disappointed with the ending. After giving it a few listens I just can't get into Y.O.U the last track. It was such a let down compared to the rest of the album, I didn't enjoy the sample and his lyrics sound a little flat. Luckily the rest of the album is amazing and doesn't pull it down too much!

The production is brilliant, some awesome beats; the vocals sound spot on, with some great over dubs and vocal doubles, featuring some exciting artists and great vocalists. I love the instrumentation on this album; a lot of the tracks have a very acoustic feel to them, he uses guitar a lot in the album, you can also hear piano on a few of the tracks and the bass feels very natural.

If you like hip-hop I'd recommend checking out this album, I also think this would be a great album for some who is just getting into hip-hop. Check it out!

Friends Like These
Friends Like These
by Danny Wallace
Price: 10.63

5.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again!, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
This is a great book by a great author. Danny Wallace has delivered yet again another outstanding book. Danny sets out on another `boy project', this time to find some friends he hasn't seen in a while! The book documents Danny's journey, showing his communications with his old friends and pictures of their meetings. Danny undergoes another incredible journey through this book, just like in his previous work, and takes you along for the trip. This book is hilarious and on many occasions I felt stupid laughing out loud in a public place. The book is such a great read and takes you on a real emotional journey, every page is a pleasure to read. I strongly recommend this book and his previous books. You will not be disappointed!

Tropic Thunder - Single Disc [DVD]
Tropic Thunder - Single Disc [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a shame!, 7 May 2009
This had everything it needed to be absolutely awesome... but it wasn't. I loved the idea of the film, actors getting mixed up in real life in a comical way, but it just wasn't comical in any way. Maybe I am being a bit harsh, I did have the occasional chuckle, but this was far from being comedy genius. The film opened with `mock trailers' to introduce the stars, although a nice idea, again this just wasn't funny. It's a shame, the film had a star-studded cast, a great idea and what looked like a massive budget, but for me the comedy wasn't there. Worth a watch when it makes it to TV or if a friend will lend it to you, but not worth a buy in my opinion.

Pineapple Express [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Pineapple Express [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Dvd ~ Judd Apatow
Offered by streetsahead
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars James Franco's greatest performance, 7 May 2009
Unfortunately I missed this one at the cinema and only picked it up a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure what to expect before watching this film, weather it was going to be another distinctly average American comedy or an absolute gem, which I believe it is. The plot, simple, a man, his drug dealer and a murder... the script pure genius! The true comedy lies in the actors, Seth Rogan playing Dale and James Franco playing Saul. You can feel the chemistry between the pair, making the whole journey so much more enjoyable and exciting. For me this is James Franco's best performance, I literally could not stop laughing him. His portrayal of Saul the pot dealer, who just wants friendship, is outstanding. His mannerism and throwaway comments really make this film. The tension and frustration inflicted on Dale caused by Saul's pure stupidity makes for some very entertaining viewing. If you want to laugh watch this film!

Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008]

For Emma Forever Ago
For Emma Forever Ago
Price: 7.57

5.0 out of 5 stars So simplistic and beautiful, 7 May 2009
This review is from: For Emma Forever Ago (Audio CD)
After hearing 'Skinny Love' a few times on the radio and checking out a couple other tracks on the Internet I decided it was time to buy this album. I was not disappointed! This album is a gorgeous bit of work, so simplistic in places but with great depth in the tracks. You can hear the care that was taken in the recording and mastering of this album, although I do find this album to be quieter than others. I can see why people may find this album 'samey' but for me this is not the case. I find his voice a pleasure to listen to especially when double tracked or in unison with a second voice. So many of the tracks build into a beautiful composition, it's hard to pick a favorite! I think the detail that has gone into the making of this album shines through and makes it an album to listen to again and again. Highly recommended you will not be disappointed.