Profile for Geo > Reviews

Content by Geo

Geo "Lipsocutor" (Brighton, UK)

Blakroc
Blakroc
Price: 8.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected yet brilliant detour..., 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Blakroc (Audio CD)
There's no way when I first saw The Black Keys perform to a small, half-empty room above a pub in Brighton shortly after the 2003 release of their second album 'thickfreakness', that I would ever have predicted this latest artistic detour. Anyone who's followed their career and seen them live will know what a force of nature they are on stage, but until very recently the music stayed pretty firmly rooted in the blues. Maybe it was a result of working with Brian 'Danger Mouse' Burton on the 'Attack & Release' album that turned them on to Hip Hop or perhaps they were privately into it anyway, whatever - they've now teamed up with a cracking line-up of authentic Rap aristocrats and produced this gem of an album.

At just under thirty-eight minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome but that means there's not a dull moment here. The slightly old-school rap stylings and Auerbach's finely-judged guitar playing mesh brilliantly and avoid the tiresome cliches that usually abound on other rock-rap crossover projects. There's a sense that these blues boys have a genuine feel for hip-hop and all concerned sound to be having a ball. I might be showing my ignorance of recent developments in hip-hop here but I hadn't heard the rapper NOE before and his similarity to Jay-Z is absolutely remarkable. Another revelation for me is the contribution of vocalist Nicole Wray, who I'm ashamed to say is another artist I was previously unfamiliar with and who brings an extra touch of class to every track that she features on. Also listen out for the excellent Q-Tip on 'Hope You're Happy' which makes me want to punch the air every time I hear it.

This album has single-handedly revived my flagging interest in hip-hop and I would unhesitatingly recommend it to any fan of the Black Keys, Wu-Tang Clan or old-school rap generally. Wonderful stuff!

Stylus Pen For iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4 4S iPod Touch iPad 2 3
Stylus Pen For iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4 4S iPod Touch iPad 2 3
Offered by FoneM8store
Price: 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 15 Dec 2009
I bought this to use with iPod Touch drawing & painting Apps, thinking it would be more intuitive and accurate than using my finger. Nice theory but the fact is that this stylus requires too much pressure and the angle of the tip seems to be absolutely crucial for it to work. In practice, the experience is simply too hit-and-miss and quickly becomes frustrating. It was consigned to a drawer within half-an-hour of unpacking and has remained there ever since. Stick to your fingers and save yourself the time and money.