Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Rocket 88: Classic Singles
Rocket 88: Classic Singles

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting, if slightly-patronising read., 18 Sept. 2013
This brought back a lot of memories for me, reminding me of songs I'd completely forgotten and also prompting me to dig out stuff from before I was born. It's nice and quick and for 0p I can't really see why you shouldn't pick it up if you like music.

The only downside is the slightly patronising tone at times. I guess the book is written for teenagers but even then I'd think it might be a bit heavy handed.

Essential Motown Classics - The Top 30 Best Ever Motown Hits Of All Time !
Essential Motown Classics - The Top 30 Best Ever Motown Hits Of All Time !

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what you might think, but good overall, 22 July 2013
This is a strange compilation. All the MP3s come with the artist set as Mowtown Masters, which means it's a bit of a pain to go through and tag them correctly.

But more bizarre, the version of Reach Out (I'll Be There) isn't the Four Tops' original but the Gloria Gaynor cover from 1975. Not sure if this was just a mixup. I'm also unsure whether Papa Was a Rolling Stone is the Temptations or a cover, given its short length. It sounds like another different version to me.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS AUDIO BOOK: It is in some utterly ridiculous format you can't play, 26 Aug. 2012
I don't know what this book is like. My mother requested the audio version specifically and it seems it's only available on download. However, I assumed this would be find and I could burn a copy for her to CD.

Apparently not. Audible give you the book in some utterly repellent non-standard format and then require that you install iTunes in order to burn it. I have a Windows computer so, naturally, I don't use iTunes because it runs incredibly poorly and is completely over-engineered for this task.

Why it is that I can download albums in un-encrypted MP3 format but not books, I shall never know. Certainly I would never buy from Audible again.

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2 10.1-inch Netbook (Atom N280 1.66GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 1024 X 600 LED, Windows XP Home, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little Netbook, 27 April 2010
I have a Lenovo W500 at work so this was one of the reasons for buying this little machine. One big difference between it and the powerful W500 is how amazingly bright and clear the display is on the S10-2. It is glossy but I'm used to that, though a matt finish would probably have been preferable, but it's very easy to read.

The camera works fine for Skype calls, though I find an external microphone is preferable to stop feedback.

The QuickStart OS is almost never used because the machine has to be turned off to boot into that and I just leave my hibernating. I use it for creating websites in Ruby and PHP using Aptana IDE and use GIMP for graphic work. Apart from the occasional drive read moment when it's in the ultra low-power mode, it's incredibly quick and responsive and even with a 6-cell battery, the power pack is so light that you'd barely notice you're carrying it around.

Battery life seems really good.

Only real negative I could say is the arrow keys are just a BIT too small and fiddly and above the left and right keys are the page up and page down keys which I hit accidentally.

One reviewer says theirs didn't come with a full XP licence. This wasn't my experience but the Windows 2007 supplied only has a trial licence, but this isn't a big deal to me. There's always Open Office but the payment for an upgrade isn't too much anyway.

Display Port to DVI (Female) Adapter Cable ~ Premium Quality ~ 10.8 Gpbs ~ Digital Video Interface ~ Short Cable Prevents Damage to the Port
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., 27 April 2010
Got this so I could finally connect my Lenovo W500 to my external monitor via DVI. The connector is robust and sturdy and connects fine and I now have a very crisp second display. A great purchase.

FLASH SUPERSTORE SONY ERICSSON W995 LCD SCREEN PROTECTOR AND SILICONE SKIN COVER/CASE PROTECTIVE RUBBER BLACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but with small downsides to the design, 22 July 2009
I'm not sure there's a good option for protecting a slider phone. Anyway, this is a good package: you get a screen protector that is indeed scratchproof as promised and then you get a silicone rubber casing.

The casing is easy enough to put on the phone and as implied in the description it is strong enough to protect it from being knocked and dropped while also allowing all buttons to be pressed easily.

However, the thickness also makes the phone a little bulkier (not a problem personally) and makes it very hard to notice the vibration alert, again something you might have to expect from this sort of protective case.

The main issue is that you can't charge it or use the handsfree/computer cable without removing the case: the plug can fit in through the slot but the rubber is too springy to let it stay in and springs it back out.

Personally I'd rather have it on my phone than off it so I'll probably use a Stanley knife to widen the hole for the charger.

Red Dwarf : Complete BBC Series 7 [2005] [DVD]
Red Dwarf : Complete BBC Series 7 [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 star series probably upped to 3 by extras, 25 Oct. 2005
It was very very sad to finally see Red Dwarf VII. So many things were wrong including (as mentioned) the loss of Rob Grant on the writing team.
Clearly he had kept Doug Naylor in check all this time as regards overuse of slapstick. Watching the later parts of series I-VI there is slapstick in there but it's carefully controlled and never gets out of hand.
Like Episode I and II are Star Wars, so Red Dwarf VII (and a large degree VIII) is to Red Dwarf: there are moments that are good but they're surrounded with terrible writing, bad editing decisions and cringeworthy moments.
Possibly the one thing that might save this is if they've removed the laughter track. The audience was live but they had been recorded (presumably after several glasses of champagne) while watching a playback of the show. The thing is the old show worked so well because you had a bunch of stand-ups in front of an audience - just watch the smeg ups on each disc to see this. Most of the early series' worst moments were the off-set recordings where the cast couldn't play to the audience.
However, shortly after the series had aired, the BBC released a three-episode tape called Red Dwarf VII Extended, where the three extended episodes found on this edition resided. Interestingly at least one sequence was the funniest in that episode, but more importantly, presumably because no audience had seen them, they were presented ex-laughter track, and the result was quite impressive. Without the manic OTT laughter of morons you were able to find the humour subtle.
Certainly this one will be rental only for me if I bother trying to see it at all.

British Isles: A Natural History [DVD] [2004]
British Isles: A Natural History [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Alan Titchmarsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Big on visuals, short on content, 18 July 2005
This is no Simon Schama. It starts off well and Titchmarsh is an engaging host, but soon we are left wondering when we'll stop watching flash visuals and actually be told something.
The first episode is, as stated, little more than a taster for the rest of the series, resulting in quite a bit of reused footage and narration. However, this continues through the series, with the ice age melt being covered at least twice, allowing for two separate uses of Titchmarsh running rapids in a dinghy. Similarly we get much use of his trip in a jet and the same sorts of comments made over and over and so it all feels badly edited.
Thee are also some moderately amusing 'asides' such as the whiskey drinking, being made up as a neaderthal and the science of eating scones with jam and clotted cream. These are fun but they take up much more time than they need to (quite a lot in the case of the neaderthal) while telling you absolutely nothing. Finally we are treated to a lot of special effects, all which has the air of having been off-cuts from the BBC's various 'Walking with...' series, used to give some gloss.
There is informatino here to be sure, but little that you didn't already learn in school. This is really a program for pre-teens that others can happily watch but get very little out of.

The Difference Between Me And You Is That Im Not On Fire
The Difference Between Me And You Is That Im Not On Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly below 'Do Dallas' but still best UK album 2004, 28 Nov. 2004
Frankly, anyone who tries to suggest this album isn't worth owning needs their head examined. While it's not up to 'Do Dallas' standard, this is more like saying 'The Bends' isn't as good an album as 'OK Computer' (which is true but misses the point). While 'Do Dallas' flows from track to track in seamless brilliance, 'The Difference Between...' is simply a collection of great songs (with maybe a couple of slightly 'off' ones).
The major difference is the new drummer who proves that he's about a billion times their old one in terms of ability. Also, there must have been more money available here because the whole album sounds excellent, particularly the drums that boom out with impressive depth.
The band play around more with production here, as evidenced by the genius of 'Slay', while still maintaining their worthy commitment to hideous, ear-bleeding Pixies-tinged noise. This album undoubtedly marks them out as the only important UK band of the decade.

Repeater + 3 Songs
Repeater + 3 Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Total excellence, 11 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Repeater + 3 Songs (Audio CD)
I'm soo upset that it took me 10 years to find this. I am big fan of ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead and someone recommended I should hear this. It is so rock and so well thought out. Blueprint is the standout track for me but the first three just hit like a wave of greatness. GET IT!!!

Page: 1 | 2