Profile for Mr. Bj Chambers > Reviews

DIGITAL TO ANALOGUE AUDIO CONVERTOR WITH USB
DIGITAL TO ANALOGUE AUDIO CONVERTOR WITH USB
Offered by Electromart-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the money, 14 Oct 2013
I bought this from Maplins, exactly the same price.

I was playlisting my wedding through the laptop, when I tried just the laptop though the PA, the sound was pretty poor, but I bought this and it was just great, a huge improvement in sound quality.

I'd always thought if I linked up the laptop to my separates, the sound was Ok, but after I linked this in, the difference was like night and day. I'd been impressed with a friends DAC, but it had cost well over £200, I don't know if this is as good, but considering the price difference, it's a steal.

The numbnuts at Maplin's seemed to think that it wouldn't connect via USB, that the USB was just for power. If your having doubts I can reassure you it connects just fine.

The missing star is just because it feels very cheap and plasticky, but it functions brilliantly.

If you care about how your digital sound, erm, sounds. it's 40 quid well spent.

The Great British Cheese Book
The Great British Cheese Book
by Patrick Rance

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book on cheese, 12 Sep 2013
Heard about this guy on radio 4s food heroes strand, sounded interesting and I bought as a present for my girlfriend, who's cheese obsessed. She loves it and he seemed a great guy who can express his passion and love interestingly.

Panasonic DMP-BD77EB-K Smart Network Blu-ray Player - Black (Old model)
Panasonic DMP-BD77EB-K Smart Network Blu-ray Player - Black (Old model)

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Sep 2013
Does what you expect. The internet end could be faster/slicker. I honestly couldn't think of anything else to write, this sentence is superfluous, but gets me up and over the 10 word hurdle, by some distance.

Hot Shots: How to Refresh Your Photos
Hot Shots: How to Refresh Your Photos
by Kevin Meredith

2.0 out of 5 stars Gimiky, 12 Sep 2013
The same old oh no,lomo and holga hogwash. He has a knack for composition, but should maybe concentrate on that. I was hoping it would do what it says on the tin, inspire me out of a shooting rut, but it would be buying a trendy camera and mugging off his style... hardly inspiring?

Integral 32GB Courier USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Integral 32GB Courier USB 3.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good... especially for the cash, 12 Sep 2013
It does what you're buying it for. Big memory in a flash drive, for USB3. Spend more, it might look a bit nicer, feel a bit less plasticy, but this is fast and big, and a newer bigger faster drive will be out next year, it's not like I'm investing in an heirloom to pass down the paternal line.

Nikon 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 Lens - Black
Nikon 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 Lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A nerds view., 22 Aug 2013
Firstly this lens is good, it's a very useful focal length, and if you're thinking about this lens, then yes: it does do what you're hoping; produce bokeh (blurry de-focussed background). A 50mm (as this is the equivalent to) gives a view similar to that of the naked eye. While this means how objects relate spatially, a 50 also captures what might be described as your focal circle, or point of interest, i.e. where your gaze concentrates.

The lens's performance is great, it easily out resolves current Nikon 1 cameras, I think it will only be in a few generations of Nikon's system you'll really see what this lens is capable of. It scores well on MTF charts. MTF stands for modular transfer function and is kind of: resolution and contrast all in one. I think where this lens it very good is how it deals with micro contrast. With lenses contrast is less black/white, but rather the ability to differentiate graduated tones in colour. If you've heard of the `leica look', well that special `pop' that leica lenses have comes from good micro contrast. This gives an impression of sharpness, aside from what the lens actually resolves, and this lens has that... not like a £1500 summicron, but it does perform well, giving huge bang for buck. The lens has puchy rendering while retaining good levels of detail in dark and light areas. If you add that punchy look to the drop off in un-focussed areas, you'll get a nicely pleasing image that has a certain resonance.

There's no reason not to shoot this lens wide open, unless you're a real pixel peeper, nothing's gained by stopping down, unless you want deeper focus for landscape etc. Wide open is where it's at here, as reasonable bokeh is achievable. Not like a 60's Pentax Super Takumar, but OK for isolating subjects or keeping shutter speeds up, ISO down as light fails. The depth of field is similar to what you would expect at f5 on full frame or 3.5 on APS-C. But of course what you gain here is light gathering and that's not to cock a snook at.

All in all I feel this gets the best out of my Nikon 1, while the 28 2.8 will always be my favorite, that's just my preferred focal length, but for general use... birthdays, weddings, whatever, this lens will just give you the best file a Nikon 1 can produce. I also find compared to the other lenses in the range (not tried the 32mm) this gives great colour. I see the coatings on the front element are more visible than on the other lenses, maybe that's it? It's also worth remembering that the ultra fast AF Nikon's achieved with these cameras in due to hybrid AF, using both contrast and Phase detection. The benefit of a bright lend must mean that the slower contrast detect won't chip in for another couple of stop over a slower lens, keeping performance up... but that's all supposition.

I sort of feel that I could dock a star, there are negatives: There is chromatic aberration, it's reasonably pronounced too. But it takes about 2 seconds to clean this up in post with no impact of quality and I find this lens (contrary to others) slower to focus than other 1 lenses, but on balance, these lenses have blistering focus, this is just like a quick DSLRs focus. I think a lens shade and pouch in the box would've been reasonable, you can pick up the same lens for your DSLR for less cash after all. I'd also have liked a decent manual focus ring, and I'd really like a distance scale... but that seems against the ethos of the 1 System, so 5 stars.
To get the best out of your 1, get this lens.

SanDisk SDSDU-016G-U46 16 GB Ultra 30 MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)

5.0 out of 5 stars For this price..., 6 May 2013
...you cannot go wrong. Excellent card in a massive size by the best manufacturer. I use these every day and always have a few in my bag/pocket. Brilliant

Clipper Organic Sleep Easy Infusion 20 Teabags (Pack of 6, Total 120 Teabags)
Clipper Organic Sleep Easy Infusion 20 Teabags (Pack of 6, Total 120 Teabags)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems good to me... ZZZZZZ, 6 May 2013
I've used this and others, but this actually tastes good. I've no idea if sleep inducing teas work, if it's psychosomatic or if it just lets you calm down and get into a better state of mind, but I've found if really helpful while going through a very stressful period in my life where sleep was becoming very elusive.
I mix this with one bag of Dr Stuarts Verarian tea, which has a far higher valarian content, but fairly unpleasant taste (this is the herbal tea a friend recommended) but this clipper tea is far more palatable and helps mask the taste of the Dr Stuarts, even nicer with a touch of honey.
At least I'm

Nikon 1 J1 Compact System Camera - Black (10mm Lens Kit, 10MP) 3 inch LCD Screen (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, nearly great, 18 Dec 2012
I'll start by explaining the missing star. In almost every respect this is a five star camera, in my opinion. But the flash will only sync to 1/60th of a second. If that means nothing to you or you never use flash, buy this camera. I'll get back to this one negative at the end.

This is what I like:
1. Small enough (I bought the 10mm 2.8 kit) to fit in my jacket pocket: I wanted a camera to have with me all the time. I've tried micro 4/3 but they always feel like Hobson's choice, all the draw backs of a DSLR, none of the pluses of a compact.
2. Silent. I shoot street all the time. I find in a candid situation my DSLR's mirror clack was a deal breaker.
3. Handles noise sensibly. Up to ISO 400 noise is virtually not an issue. At 800 and 1600 The noise has a pleasant film like character, that favours sharpness over aggressive noise reduction.
4. There's some chance to exploit shallow depth of field. If you exploit your situation, ie your subject is close to, with a background isolated by some distance, the bokeh is quite nice. This is a 1" sensor and just can't do what a DSLR can in this area, but I've been surprised by how well the camera performs in this area, I'd expected performance more in line with a compact.
5. The Speed. Put simply it's blazing. In good light the auto focus locks instantaneously, then the camera will fill the buffer at 60 frames per second. This is changing the nature of my photographs.
6. The lenses. Right now there aren't many, but they're starting by offering the focal lengths you'd want, and they're really sharp. Very sharp indeed. The next lens I buy will be the 18.5mm f1.8, a 50mm equivalent.

I bought this camera after having read all the bad reviews out there, largely as my interest was sparked after the release of the Sony RX1, as it has the same dimension sensor. That and I kept on seeing great files from people using it. So I knew what I was getting into, and it did seem to tick a lot of my boxes.

The thing that really worried me was the lack of manual control. But Nikon seem to have really thought about the implementation of how the camera works. Set in manual mode the dial on the four way controls aperture, the toggle that zooms in play-back, shutter speed. I can change settings, shooting manually without having to look at the camera. The menu remembers where you were, so left on ISO, it's as quick in operation as a dedicated ISO button. Of course having to open the menu for A/S/P/M is a bump in speed, but a small one. The menu is compact and well thought out, better than almost all I've tried. Before using this I was using a Panasonic M4/3 camera, even with a touch screen, a plethora of external controls and dedicated buttons, I'm still spending far less time lost in messy menus

A couple of things I'm less keen on, none of these detract, just niggles: No Auto ISO 100-1600, you need to manually select 1600. Why no accessory port? I chose this over the V1 due to size... that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to use the external flash now and then. And worst of these gripes for me, I can't turn off auto review. I find that grates, I hate auto review, I like to set up then keep the flow going and avoid chimping whenever possible, the review disappears with the next half click, but still I find I miss shots because of it.

And so back to that missing star. The only time I use flash is at social events. I'm sure lots of people are the same. Well isn't that exactly when you want to freeze the action? Kids at a wedding, frenetic freak-outs at a party? Not a t 1/60 of a second you don't. My girlfriend uses a mid-ninties mid-range compact, that'll sync faster than this... How is that OK?

So... I'm over a month in now, I thought long and hard before buying and have (unusually for me) no buyers remorse. I look forward to seeing where this system goes, I think it'll be here for a while.

Bionsen aluminium free roll on deodorant
Bionsen aluminium free roll on deodorant
Offered by Medideals

4.0 out of 5 stars A better deodrant, 8 Aug 2012
I bought this elsewhere, more expensively. I was getting very very itchy pits and my doctor recommended a aluminium free deodorant, as the aluminium simply cogs up your skin. This smells pleasant and stops the bacteria forming that cause BO, but allows your skin to breath. Pleased as the more hippy dippy brands simply smell strongly and do nothing.

I also guess that pushing aluminium through your pores isn't a brilliant idea.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5