Profile for Mendo Shutaro > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Braun Satin Hair 7 BR170 Iontec Brush
Braun Satin Hair 7 BR170 Iontec Brush
Offered by liGo

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hairbrush but not quite what is promised, 19 Nov. 2013
A review from my wife:

I was curious to see if this hair brush would live up to the claims of smoother hair, reducing frizz thanks to its ion technology. Unfortunately I was disappointed by this.... after many blind trials involving the husband guessing which side of my head I had used the ionic brush on and which my usual flat brush, the results were disappointing at well under a 30% correct guess rate. Despite this, he insists there is a slight reduction in the frizziness of my hair. I also discovered that when the ion button is turned on, there is a small opening at the back of the hairbrush which can give you a mild zap if it touches your fingers and I've managed to catch the zap by accident at least thrice! Not that I have sustained life changing injuries from the small zaps but I don't expect a hairbrush to be electrocuting me!

It's a decent enough hairbrush but I wouldn't be expecting dramatically different results from it. And I guess that's the problem, for an ordinary hairbrush it's is a pretty expensive purchase.

Roku 3 HD Streaming Player
Roku 3 HD Streaming Player
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

3.0 out of 5 stars A little streamer with a patchy app line-up, 26 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Streaming boxes such as the Roku, or the New Apple TV (Latest Model - Launched Mar 2012) are single purpose devices. Unlike consoles such as the PS3 and the Xbox 360, which also play discs and of course, games, these devices live or die by how many third party streaming services they give access to. The Apple TV is still a total dud for UK audiences, so the market is wide open for Roku to fill it.

Sadly the results are rather poor, and improvements arrive at a glacial place. The easiest way to illustrate how useful this box will be to anyone reading this, is to list which streaming services it provides access to.

BBC iPlayer - Yes (720p)

Knowhow Movies - No
Wuaki TV - No
Last FM - No
BBC Sport - No

The big omissions are clearly the Amazon services (ironic, given how Roku originally distributed the Roku in the UK exclusively through Amazon), and of course, ITV. As a film fan, I can't manage without Amazon Instant Video, which I find to be the best of the UK film streaming services by quite some margin. If you're a fan of art house, classic, and non English language cinema, MUBI is also essential.

Roku are very keen to trumpet their hundreds of channels, and that's true, there are plenty in the channel store. However, the aim has clearly been quantity over quality. Outside of the well known services everyone looks for, you'll find little of interest in the store. The mix is spread fairly evenly between obscure films - and by obscure, I mean straight to video efforts made for pennies, non-English language TV - which are mostly Indian and African, UFO/Ghost/Conspiracy Nut/Nonsense channels for crazy people, and most terrifying of all, a very wide array of ultra hardcore religious channels. The abysmal quality of 99.9% of channels makes looking at the channel store a total waste of time.

I should add that there is no support for DLNA streaming in the Roku, although you can install the very bare bones PLEX app if you run a PLEX server on your PC and stream local content that way. It's worth stating the obvious however, that PLEX won't stream anything which has DRM on it, such as video bought from iTunes. One nice feature of this latest Roku is a headphone jack in the remote, which could be useful for those who don't want to disturb others in the house.

Sky now sell a variant of the previous generation (and now discontinued) Roku 2 box as a way to push their Now TV service, and presumably because of this Demand 5 and 4OD have recently appeared on the platform. Given that Sky block Netflix from their own branded Roku 2, it seems highly unlikely they will want Amazon Instant Video to arrive. Roku UK seem totally disinterested in acquiring new services, so if you want to watch Amazon Instant Video, or use Amazon MP3, then this isn't a box I would recommend. If you're happy with iPlayer, Netflix, 4OD, Demand 5, and Now TV, then this may suffice, although I'd still recommend a PS3 instead, which does a lot more for only a small premium over the price of a Roku 3.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 1:25 PM GMT

Zyliss Herb Tool Cutter - White
Zyliss Herb Tool Cutter - White
Offered by Sandra Bevins

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic job with herbs but partial to fingers too..., 17 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Zyliss herb chopper does a wonderful job in mincing herbs. It has a useful handle which you can turn to two different settings - one to roll over the herbs and one to do some fine chopping. The blades are extremely sharp and handle all herbs with ease. You can complete all your chopping needs without any contact with the blades. This would have been a perfect design if it wasn't for the cleaning process. When you use the blades to roll over the herbs, a few strands invariably get inside the hollow middle. You can take the top off to clean this however this a a bit stiff. You absolutely need the blade cover to work this safely but the blade cover can come off fairly easily. Once you have the top off however you have exposed blades on the inside and it continues to be a harrowing task as you continue to try and avoid loss of digits!
Overall then this does a fantastic job with herbs but be very, very careful with the blades!

Zyliss Fine Stainless Steel Grater, Acid Etched
Zyliss Fine Stainless Steel Grater, Acid Etched

4.0 out of 5 stars Very efficient, but dangerously sharp, 1 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't think much new could be done with zesters, - you move your hand up and down holding a lime/lemon, and the zester chips away at the skin creating a little pile of shavings. They've been the same forever. When I received this Zyliss zester, the first thing I noticed is that it's pretty big, and the zesting surface is hidden away behind a large protective shield.

It turns out, that the cutting surface is hidden away for good reason, as once exposed it's incredibly sharp. This means that in practice, some refinement of your zesting technique will be called for, as this thing will slice right through to the flesh of a lemon with a single stroke. It's seriously sharp.

However I soon found out, that it's really rather too sharp. With a knife, sharpness is required, but as you have control over every precise cut, with steady hands on a stable work surface, the danger is much reduced. With the up and down hand motion required when zesting, an accident is always a possibility, resulting in a scratch or a graze. With this zester, an accident results in many layers of skin being removed in an instant.

My fault of course, and I now treat this as if I would a barely tame lion, but it seems to me that it's simply over the top for a fairly random and wobbly process such as zesting. It's a very efficient device, but if you slip, get ready to lose a chunk of your finger.

Philips HP6390/10 Facial Precision Trimmer Hot Pink
Philips HP6390/10 Facial Precision Trimmer Hot Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy and useful, 23 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A review from the wife ...
This hot pink trimmer looks lovely and works well too! It is a compact device that will easily fit into your handbag for any facial hair emergencies. It is useful to quickly get rid of any pesky hairs without having to worry about the pain of waxing or threading. It comes with an eyebrow trimmer, allowing you to trim the length to 2mm or 4mm. This works very well and gives your eyebrows a uniform, neat look. It also comes with a eyebrow shaper precision attachment where the shaver head is partially blocked by the attachment. Useful in theory but I think this could still be fairly disastrous if you were to slip during trimming. I think I would much prefer to use tweezers or threading to precisely shape my eyebrows. This trimmer does come with some tweezers but they are nothing special to write about. My manicure set tweezers are of a much higher build quality and I will be continuing to use those. And finally, you also get a cut cleaning brush to get rid of clean off any rogue hairs from the device. Overall a decent, compact device which will no doubt be used regularly. I only wish they had supplied a small carry case for all the little attachments.

Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver RQ1195/17 with Click-On Beard Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good shaver, but hugely over priced, 21 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having had Philips' shavers for years, I know what to expect - a nice contoured shape which fits the hand well, and solid reliability. This shaver certainly doesn't disappoint there, but there is one aspect which leaps out - the price. My previous shaver was a Philips SensoTouch RQ1180cc GyroFlex 2D Rotary Rechargeable Shaver with Clean and Charge Stand, which as far as I can tell, performs to exactly the same level as this shaver and is physically near identical. However it's £55 cheaper, and comes with a cleaning unit which works nicely but requires special cleaning fluids. (and as such was never used once the free supplied bottle ran out).

This shaver comes with a beard trimmer admittedly, but it's little more than a small piece of plastic, and certainly not enough to justify the crazy price tag.

As with my other shaver (the RQ1180), this must be docked in the supplied stand to charge, which is a real pain when travelling as it means carrying the charger around too. Would it really have been that difficult for Philips to simply add a power socket somewhere on the body? The charger with this shaver is collapsable at least (although still pretty bulky), which is an improvement over the RQ1180.

Overall then a perfectly solid shaver, but one with a price tag so eye wateringly high that I can only assume Philips' profit margins are absolutely astronomical. As a disclaimer, I received this shaver through the Vine programme on Amazon, and as such, got it for free. Had I been paying for a shaver, I would not have considered this one.

Braun Silk Epil 5 SE5780 Epilator with Comfort System and Five Attachments Fully Washable

3.0 out of 5 stars The most pain free epilator i have used BUT with some major flaws, 1 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A review from the wife.. I was somewhat apprehensive moving from my Philips Satinelle epilator with a clip on ice pack to this new Braun epilator which only came with a separate ice cooler. I imagined that this was going to be a painful slog. Nevertheless, ice pack at the ready and applied to my skin, I used the pivoting massage epilator head on my legs. I can honestly say that this is the most comfortable epilation process I have ever experienced. No pain whatsoever! I thought I'd be even braver and try a patch of skin without using the cooler pack on it, again to be extremely surprised at the lack of pain. There is a faint ticklish, sharp sensation but certainly not pain. I have no idea why it doesn't hurt but I suspect it's something to do with it having 40 tweezers (rather than the 20 something in my old one) and the clearly very effective massage system. The 40 tweezers also make epilation quick - I had done both legs and arms in under 20 minutes.

I used the sensitive area cap for the bikini line and underarm. Now that's slightly more painful as it does not use the massaging head. I'm not sure I will use it again for the bikini line but it certainly has good results underarm. The facial cap is easy to use and slightly uncomfortable but certainly useable.

I found the hair growing back after roughly three weeks. I have used epilators for nearly 15 years and have certainly noticed the rate of hair growth significantly decrease over the years. So perhaps if you are new to epilation, the results may not last quite so long.

Now for the big flaws which have resulted in a three star score... First, the epilator is corded and is not chargeable despite what it says on the product description page and the big sticker on the delivery box warning of a lithium battery inside. It makes it slightly fiddly to epilate while trying to manage the cable. It also comes with a shaver plug rather than a standard plug attachment. Of course this could be easily sorted with a shaver plug adaptor but for the advertised price, I would have hoped a standard plug would have been included. The corded nature and the bathroom plug would be more tolerable if it wasn't for this next big flaw. The two pin connection of the plug to the epilator is extremely loose and falls out repeatedly. I noticed other reviewers suggesting pushing it in till it clicks but there certainly wasn't a 'click' point at least in my epilator. A cable falling out every few seconds is fairly annoying and frustrating, as you can imagine!
Overall, I think in terms of painlessness and longevity of results, I would give this epilator top marks. The flaws are big and would had resulted in a much poorer score if it hadn't been for the balancing positives. If you are considering buying this, I would certainly invest in a shaver cable adaptor and perhaps ask yourself if you can tolerate the frustration of losing the power every minute or so. The end results are certainly very good!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 7:06 AM BST

The Icecreamists: Boutique ice creams and other guilty pleasures to make and enjoy at home
by Matt O'connor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flavours, poor base selection., 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This recipe book has a variety of wonderful ice cream flavours, from pistachio, to liquorice, to plain vanilla. It also gives you a wide range of sorbets and combination deserts. Like one previous reviewed mentioned, the base mixture for the ice creams is exactly the same, which gives less variety than I would like, especially if you're trying to cut the calories. Personally I prefer the three base options of the Ben and Jerry's home made Ice cream book.

Overall, a good collection of flavours.

A Perfect Spy (BBC Audio)
A Perfect Spy (BBC Audio)
by John Le Carre
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars A rather slow and gentle little spy story, 11 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but rarely these full cast radio play type books, as I find them rather artificial and forced. I came into this then not expecting a lot, and initially I did find the radio acting quite off putting. After a few chapters though, the story started to pick up and the acting became less distracting.

Sadly the story never really built much beyond those first few chapters, and it's gentle and slow nature doesn't make for the most riveting listen. When the conclusion came I can't say I found it terribly satisfying, and the characters, with a few exceptions, have already faded from memory.

Not terrible then, but barely average at best.

Crysis 3 (PS3)
Crysis 3 (PS3)
Offered by PROGAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars A very solid shooter, but it belongs on a PC, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Crysis 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Crytek have long had a reputation for pushing visuals hard, so much so that the original Crysis remained a PC exclusive for years, and brought even high end systems to their knees as they attempted to run it. Crysis 2 saw the developer head into console territory, with visuals which were rather less ambitious.

Crysis 3 represents a balance of those two approaches, and appropriately enough also mixes the locations of the first two games. So we get the jungle of Crysis 1, mixed with the much less interesting buildings from Crysis 2. The result is an interesting ruined city, full of foliage and rubble. Gameplay also returns a little to the more open nature of Crysis 1, losing some of the corridor feel of Crysis 2. Sadly the rather obnoxious cast returns too, with the annoying cockney sidekick still hanging around.

However there is a problem with this release - it doesn't run well on the PS3. Crytek have clearly let themselves go a little and ventured back into the soothing waters of PC development, leaving the console versions of Crysis 3 rather limping along in the background. The frame rate here is often poor, and the game never feels like it's running well. Even in closed of little rooms it still limps along. Admittedly this is a problem other developers have too, and despite the technical problems it's still a very impressive visual achievement on such ancient hardware.

An good effort then overall, but if you have a PC up to the job, then you can safely leave the console ports on the shelf.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19