Profile for Jon Fev > Reviews

Formula One Season Review 2012 Blu Ray [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Fernando Alonso
Price: 10.29

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 6 Mar 2013
I love the F1 reviews and I always buy them. I've got them in one form or another back to 1982 plus a few from the seventies.(I even bought the F1 2002 game on PS2 just to get the free DVD of the 2001 season) The introduction of HD has given the coverage a new dimension and so the 2011 Blu-Ray was fantastic. This year I felt a bit hollow after watching it. 2012 was a very interesting season but the main review has homogenised the coverage. So it appears that the least interesting races have been edited to make them appear better whilst the best races have had the excitement taken out of them. I still thoroughly enjoyed watching it but I just think it could have been so much better.

Formula One Season Review 2011 [Blu-ray]
Formula One Season Review 2011 [Blu-ray]
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Christmas Redundant!, 2 Dec 2011
Released on 26th December...... I'll have to take it off my Christmas list. I thought Formula one was associated with some of the most successful marketing on this planet. This is bonkers!!!!!

An update....

Despite my pessimism above it did actually arrive on Christmas Eve! However, I still think that the above was a relevant review of the product to avoid people being disappointed if buying for Christmas. Having taken people's comments on board, I have now been to Amazon review school and feel confident that I can give helpful observations without upsetting the self elected review pedants.

A good season review can make even a mediocre season really entertaining viewing. My all time favourite is the 1991 review but aside from some interesting politics, the actual racing didn't stand out. Nonetheless I keep returning to it as it is so well put together. The 2011 review is the first on Blu-ray and this brings a whole new dimension to it. The racing was pretty good to start with but to see it in high definition has kept me gripped. Ben Edwards is a commentator I have always rated and this DVD shows why he deserves Martin Brundle's old job. There are some omissions but the new interviews, radio transmissions and different camera shots from those originally broadcast, make this package worth every penny. I think 1991 is now my second favourite.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 11:23 PM GMT

My Aim Is True  { Deluxe Edition }
My Aim Is True { Deluxe Edition }

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic gem, 17 Nov 2011
The main album is a timeless classic but other reviewers seem to have missed commenting about the best bit which is on the second disc. This is not a 'few live tracks' this is a concert from a London pub (the Nashville Rooms) with the sound check included. This makes it a snapshot in history that I keep visiting again and again. The intimacy of the venue really comes across. The version of Sneaky Feelings from the sound check is now my all time favourite record (until next week!) and the barking dog from outside the pub at the beginning of Alison makes it all so real.

Le Mans [DVD] [1971]
Le Mans [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Steve McQueen
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the opening sequence alone, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Le Mans [DVD] [1971] (DVD)
A lot has been said about the opening sequence with no dialogue. It's certainly this film's 'trademark' and I love it because of the atmosphere it gives. The people arriving at the circuit, the squadrons of police motorcyclists and best of all the cars being unloaded. Ferraris are obviously great but Porsche 917's and 908's are timeless. I see this film as more of a period documentary because it doesn't really stack up as a good yarn but it is hugely enjoyable. Doesn't often get a mention but the great racer David Piper lost part of his leg during one of the crashes filmed in the making of the film but he still owns and drives a 917.

TT 2009 Review (Blu-ray)
TT 2009 Review (Blu-ray)
Price: 29.92

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an emulsion!, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: TT 2009 Review (Blu-ray) (DVD)
The HD quality brings a new perspective to an already stunning event. Guy Martin's guide to making a cup of tea and his cod science commentary on the merits of milk first is surreal!

Race Driver: GRID (PC DVD)
Race Driver: GRID (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars It got better, 24 Nov 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
When I first got this game I gave up on it quite quickly. Whatever I did it was unplayable. My steering wheel had lag of about half a second and if I used the keyboard the cars were uncontrollable. Despite updating it to the latest patch (1.3)and reducing the graphics detail which some forums suggest, I never did get it to a playable state. I should stress the frame rate didn't appear too bad and the game ran smoothly. Anyway my graphics card expired (nvidia 7900gs) so I replaced it with a 9600gt the factory overclocked version. All of my games ran with much higher frame rates with incresaed detail level so out of curiosity I reinstalled GRID. What a difference, all my previous problems went away and I now had a game I could play and enjoy. I have to say I don't enjoy the American bias and the drifting doesn't appeal but overall there is plenty to enjoy. If they could go back to the games' roots and include cars from the BTCC series it would be pretty much perfect.