Profile for R. Helmer > Reviews

Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Darcey Bussell
Price: 10.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by the lighting, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Dearly as I love Darcey Bussell, this is technically a poor DVD, let down by dreadful lighting. Most of the action seems to take place in semi-darkness. And it's in the old 4:3 format, which is about the only thing that could make Darcey Bussell look over-weight.

Fighting Bull
Fighting Bull
by Nigel Farage

5.0 out of 5 stars A better journey than Blair's, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Fighting Bull (Hardcover)
I expected to enjoy this book (if not I wouldn't have bought it). But I enjoyed it more than I expected -- and not only because Nigel Farage is an acquaintance with whom I have occasionally shared a beer. For an insight into the highways and byways of European politics, and a damning indictment of the European institutions, this is a must-read.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: with Pearl and Sir Orfeo
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: with Pearl and Sir Orfeo
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Versions of Sir Gawain, 12 Jun 2010
I had previously spent rather a lot of money on a splendid Folio Society edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, in a translation by Simon Armitage. It is a very fine edition, a beautiful artifact, but the translation is a bit too folksy and demotic. Armitage is a man of his time, and his modern vernacular style jars with ancient poem. The Tolkien version, which I ordered on the recommendation of my friend and colleague Dan Hannan, and which I am reviewing, is as different as chalk from cheese. Physically, it's no more than an ordinary little paperback. But unlike Armitage, Tolkien is by no means a man of his time. He is a man of a very different time, and his glorious language suits the period and the ambience of the poem. It gives a real feeling, a real insight into the mediaeval text. Nothing jars, nothing feels out of place. Toklein's rendering is a triumph and a delight, and while I shall value the Folio edition as an object, I shall prefer the Tolkien as literature.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 9:09 PM GMT