Profile for Mrs Chuck > Reviews

The Good Schools Guide
The Good Schools Guide
by Ralph Lucas

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't help much, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Good Schools Guide (Paperback)
We bought this to help identify prep schools in the area that we are considering moving to. None of the schools we are now considering are included. It was quite interesting reading about other schools, but the book has not been useful at all for what I bought it for. This is not a comprehensive guide to private schools in the UK - or even to good private schools in the UK, so not really the book that I thought it was.

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
by Sarah Raven
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and really does get used, 2 Jan 2008
I bought this as a gift and ended up keeping it and buying a second copy for my Mum (who is an avid gardener but not a cook). I love this book and go back to it again and again. There are simple recipes and complicated recipes and it regularly inspires me. I don't have much that is edible growing in my very small garden, but this book makes me want to move house!

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 12.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun at first but never gets used, 2 Jan 2008
When I first received this book, I enjoyed reading through it and the organisation of recipes depending on the event you are cooking for is a nice change. However in practice I never use it. I often pick it up for inspiration but I almost never cook from it. I don't use a recipe book for everyday cooking and nothing in this book is ever quite what I am looking for if I am cooking for a family gathering or a dinner party. Nigella's lemon meringue icecream is now a staple in our house, but not much else. Also, I have to admit that her "Wow, be like me - I am so knowledgable and so fragrant and chummy and just a bit naughty" approach to life gets up my nose and usually ends up making me choose a recipe from a different book instead.

The Food Processor Bible
The Food Processor Bible
by N Gilletz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my kind of food, 2 Jan 2008
Some of the recipes in here are great - the peanut cookies are delicious. But most of the recipes are just not for the type of food that we like to eat (mostly quick, fresh, tasty). Whenever I pick this book up and flick through it, it all looks a bit odd and mushy and not much inspires me. Perhaps this book is useful if you really have no clue what to do with your food processor or perhaps I am just not a food processor cook.