Profile for Barenfeet > Reviews

Barenfeet

FOLDING TV / LAPTOP TABLE
FOLDING TV / LAPTOP TABLE
Offered by a2z-discounts

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a Table Mate like the ones sold by JML, 11 Dec. 2015
The picture with this item was taken from the original Table Mate materials (I have one of these bought from JML) but this item IS NOT a Table Mate at all. It is very flimsy. The bar under the table top is much thinner and therefore drops out when you pick up the table. It is also wobbly when in use. The item arrived with rust stains on the metal and plastic parts. I am sending this item back as I am very disappointed. I only bought it here as JML have stopped selling them. Beware of cheap imitations.

The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe
The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe
by Tessa Evelegh

3.0 out of 5 stars Some really useful tips but likely to be confusing for the complete novice, 28 April 2014
I was very excited to buy this book as The Great British Sewing Bee has re-invigorated my desire to make my own clothes (not done much more than make curtains for the last 20 years!) and even have a go at adapting patterns and, if I'm really brave, creating a garment without a patterns at all. I hoped the book would help me in this.
There are some good tips, but I am only on page 40 and have spotted many mistake/errors/omissions.
For example, in the chapter on Fit there is a reference to "Stitch the shell" when, unless I missed it, we have not been told what a shell is.
And in the hemming section, under curved hems, I think a few sentences have been missed out. The text reads "...Cut along that line. When you get back to the beginning fold under the remaining end so that it aligns with the seam line". This makes no sense at all! Only after re-reading several times and looking at the diagram did I work out there is a step mixing about applying the bias binding to the cut edge. I have been sewing for years and this threw me. If I was new to dressmaking I wouldn't have had a clue!
This is a real shame as on the whole the book is good and the TV series was inspiring. May and Patrick clearly know their stuff and so should be more careful in putting their names to a sub-standard publication.
At the very least could the BBC and/or Quadrille Publishing review for errors (sewing construction errors not just typos) and publish errata online?

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The twists keep coming, 25 Jun. 2013
Difficult to write a review without giving away the plot. A very easy read, and the twists and turns in the plot keep you turning the pages.