Profile for J. Brown > Reviews

Content by J. Brown

J. Brown (Planet Grebo)

Ex-Pro Canon BP-511,BP-508,BP-522,BP-535, CB-5L, CB5L Fast Travel-Pro Charger Canon Camcorder [See Description for Models]
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, 9 Mar. 2011
I haven't been able to find my Canon charger and lead since I got back from Holland, and as my camera's BP-511s were gradually running down, I figured I better order a replacement. The cost of another Canon charger was too much, so I thought I'd try one of these, but didn't expect it to be anything good.

I was wrong - it seems absolutely fine to me. The mains charger is very compact, works quickly and doesn't overheat. The 12v charger is good too - great for weekends away in the camper van.

The whole charger set including leads takes up very little space compared to the original Canon kit and the build quality seems robust enough. If I lose or break it, it's only £.97 to replace!

Father Ted - The Definitive Collection [1995] [DVD]
Father Ted - The Definitive Collection [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dermot Morgan
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content, weird format, 1 Feb. 2011
I've been familiar with Father Ted since it was first broadcast and have watched the countless repeats, so was happy to order this boxed set. The content is great - well, that's why I bought it - but what I wasn't expecting and should warn potential buyers about is the odd aspect ratio the DVDs play in. The picture is small, and although it fills the height of my screen (an LG 50" telly bought last year), it doesn't fill the width at all...in fact it looks quite odd. There are no aspect ratio settings on my LG blu ray deck or telly that I can use to correct this, and no such options on the DVD themselves.

On top of this, the picture quality is surprising poor - quite grainy in places. This is despite playing it back on recently bought hardware, so I don't know why this is.....maybe it'll be repackaged as 'remastered' so we all have to buy it again, who knows? I feel bad now for knocking this as I like the programme so much, but that's just how it is...great content, weird viewing format.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 11:26 PM GMT

Best of British Festivals
Best of British Festivals
by Lucy Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid...., 19 Sept. 2008
Don't bother - its just bad bad bad.

The descriptions for each festival are minimal and of a very weak journalistic standard, giving the book the feel of a quick-cash-in rather than a guide written by someone who cares about their subject matter. Has the author actually been to a fraction of the events listed? I get the impression that the book is just a collection of listing data and anecdotal content.

Far better festie info is freely available online at places like Virtual Festivals and so on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2008 10:58 PM GMT

Volume 13
Volume 13

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 19 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Volume 13 (Audio CD)
I liked The Vincent Razorbacks other CD so bought this too. Its another gem - great trashy sleazoid rock(abilly) mayhem with VR's trademark deviant vox and some fab drumming. The drummer really drives this band brilliantly.

Just wished they'd do more gigs! I saw them a while ago and they seem to have disappeared :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2011 11:36 AM GMT

The Essential Guide to Festivals: Tents & Mud & Rock 'n' Roll
The Essential Guide to Festivals: Tents & Mud & Rock 'n' Roll
by Sharon Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - everyone music fan should have a copy, 16 May 2008
I stumbled on this book quite by chance via a series of obscure links. Why isn't it being advertised or promoted anywhere??????

Its great - loads of handy info and detail, not just on festie listings, but also on stuff like the history of the UK festie scene, what's best to cook, what to avoid etc etc - all in a tongue-in-cheek style and not all pompous and serious like the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet books.

The author clearly knows her stuff and obviously spent a lot of time going round dozens of festivals to produce this. The end result is well worth it - everyone who has seen my copy has thumbed through it for ages and tried to borrow it, lol.

The Vincent Razorbacks
The Vincent Razorbacks

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential purchase!, 13 Sept. 2005
This review is from: The Vincent Razorbacks (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that you just cannot stop playing. You know the mark of a great record is when you can keep playing it again and again and not get sick of it. There's not a single weak track on it. My favourite is Sweet Unlucky 13 - a true jukebox classic. Hope their next one comes out soon.