Profile for Cookey Monster > Reviews

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest tale of love and relationships., 2 Feb 2014
Set in America in the 1980s this is a thought provoking and ultimately uplifting story of a young misfit struggling to find a place in her family of, as she sees it, her uncaring parents and once close sister. She forms a very strong bond with her Uncle and when he dies of AIDS she struggles even more. I won't spoil the plot but she eventually forms a relationship with her Uncle's boyfriend whose selfless acts eventually reconcile the family.
I read this twice and cried twice as much the second time. Yes it is sad which given the subject matter is inevitable but I found it also to be a tale of hope and courage. It will probably resonate with people of my age who remember the ignorance around AIDS and HIV in the '8o's and the ridiculous rumours that abounded at that time. Younger readers will probably be astounded by how bigoted people were concerning sufferers of these terrible illnesses.
This book reminds me also of how far society has come in 30 years and will stay with me for a long time.

Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Price: 2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hype, 2 Feb 2014
I bought this out of curiosity and it's total rubbish. It's the only book I have ever deleted from my Kindle. Poor clichéd writing with cardboard cut out characters and even the infamous sex scenes made me laugh they were so ridiculous.

What's in a Surname?: A Journey from Abercrombie to Zwicker
What's in a Surname?: A Journey from Abercrombie to Zwicker
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 2 Feb 2014
I am still not sure why I ordered this. I saw a favourable review and just thought it would be fun.
The first few chapters were quite boring but then the pace and content improved and the chapters on pen names and literary characters names are really good. This can I guess be used as a reference book but I found it a good read in much the same vane as I enjoy a good biography. I'm glad I bought it and can see myself dipping in an out regularly.

If it Wasn't Love: Sex, Death and God
If it Wasn't Love: Sex, Death and God
by Bernard J. Lynch
Price: 9.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking, 16 Sep 2012
This man is a true humanitarian. Despite all his good work for charities and the sick he is a gay catholic priest who has been persecuted by his own church. This book is the story of his struggle to remain true to himself in a world that is determined to compartmentalise people.He is a very brave man and this book is not comfortable reading as it documents his struggles and at times his utter despair. The fact that he has overcome so many difficulties to find peace with himself and a loving partner is an inspiration to many.
You do not need to be gay, a priest or even religious to be moved by this book but be prepared to shed some tears.

The Festival
The Festival

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange book, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Festival (Kindle Edition)
There is nothing particularly bad about this book I just found it unsatisfying with poorly drawn characters. I am not a fan of first person writing and I think had I known the style I would not have chosen it. I did find myself thinking "Is that it?" at the end and a second reading did nothing to enlighten me. If you want to take a chance on a cheap download with you may enjoy it but not one for me.

Torchwood: Trace Memory
Torchwood: Trace Memory
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying but serious read, 16 Sep 2012
This has little of the humour of previous novels but this is a refreshing change.The story of Michael a reluctant time traveller, gives us more of Jack's background and is ultimately quite a sad tale. Once again Jack is at the centre of the plot although all the original team feature and they are all true to character, something which is not always the case in a series written by different authors. This is a very enjoyable story and gives us some memorable villians as well as more insight into the double edged sword of jack's immortality.

Torchwood: Exodus Code
Torchwood: Exodus Code
by John Barrowman
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Jack's back saving the world, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Torchwood: Exodus Code (Hardcover)
From the very first chapter this adventure is a real page turner so much so that I read it in 2 sittings. The characters of Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy are well known to TW fans but this story will appeal to non-woodies as well. It is possible to read and enjoy without knowing any of Jack's or TW's history so on this basis deserves to be viewed as a stand alone novel.
The writing is pacy and the plot, far from being formularic as some of the other TW novels have been, is quite complex. The new characters are well drawn and the flashback chapters are a real bonus in establishing the story and building the excitement to a fantastic climax. It is the perfect follow up to Miracle Day and there are hints at how our favourite characters have been changed by those events.
The writing as we should expect is quite different to Hollow Earth, the Barrowman sibling's book for young adults proving that they have versatility and this would make a great film. Let's hope this is the first of a series of TW novels by Captain Jack himself!

Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
by John Barrowman
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults too, 7 Feb 2012
Originally purchased for a friend's son I have to admit to reading it first and then ordering it for Kindle. What an exciting adventure this is and a refreshing change from many adult books that do not balance the characterisation and plot lines so one is left unsatisfied with the read. The book leaps straight into the action: the unique world of Hollow Earth and the Calder twins are swiftly entwined in a real page turner.The story moves along nicely with a few unexpected twists and left me wanting to read (the as yet unwritten) second book now.
The phrase may be over used but I really struggled to put this down.Given the authors it is maybe not surprising that one can see this as a film and certainly the characters deserve to be just as well known as those in J.K's books. Well done John and Carole.

Just So
Just So
Price: 11.64

5.0 out of 5 stars It will make you smile, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Just So (Audio CD)
Having loved the production of Just So I saw in Chichester years ago I wondered if the CD would capture the fun of the original. Based on the stories of Rudyard Kipling and with original music by Stiles and Drewe (who wrote the recent west End show "Betty Blue Eyes") this did certainly not disappoint. The addition of John Barrowman to the original stage cast is inspired as he brings his beautiful baritone voice and just the right amount of fun to the role of the Eldest Magician. Barrowman's performance of "If" brought a tear to my eye but this was just one highlight. All the singers are superb and there is not a weak track on here. Many of the songs made me chuckle out loud.
If you are a musical theatre fan who has grown up loving Kipling you will love this.