Profile for joepietryga3 > Reviews

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [1967] [VHS]
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [1967] [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars are they on drugs?, 26 Sep 2003
To be honest there was not much chance of me disliking this film. I'm not a beatlemaniac, I just love the beatles. I don't think you nessecerily have to be a 'beatle' fan to enjoy this film.
To me, the fact that for the most part, this film was not received well and is fairly unknown, makes it more interesting. Help was nowhere near as good as this (in completely different ballparks).
This was one of two films the beatles made during their 'psychedelic' period,(along with yellow submarine). The film does have quite an eerie undercurrent (the beatles dress up as annoying gay wizards). John lennons narration is good especially at the beginning of the film. Theres a scene where Ringo's fat auntie, falls asleep and starts dreaming about food. John lennon dressed up as a waiter is shovelling slop on to the table whilst she is eating it and crying her eyes out! very strange. The scene looks a lot like one from monty pythons 'the meaning of life'.
There is a funny scene with victor spinetti, he plays the babbeling army sergeant who shouts at cows and midgets. Parts of this film are boring but it makes for good viewing when Ringo shouts "I cant stand it anymore! I'm getting off."
I really liked the circus organ version of 'she loves you'. Also there are the videos for 'I am the walrus'(humourous, slightly scary) a classic, 'fool on the hill', which features paul mccartney pratting about in a field looking like something from a dr seuss book, and 'blue jay way'(quite scary) by which time, you know the trip has taken a turn for the worst (although after the song, everyone stands up and claps enthusiastically like a bunch of jolly zombies).
The film ends with John saying "I told you it was gonna be a magical mystical tour.." in his trademark bigheaded way. whilst most of ya will be thinking "What you on about mate? that wasn't magical?"
A worthwhile film in my opinion.