Profile for Newton > Reviews

Content by Newton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 622

Newton "Sassy Brit" (Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
El Nino [DVD]
El Nino [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jesús Castro

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Monzon Goes Large!, 28 Nov 2014
This review is from: El Nino [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In need of a job that pays, El Niño gets talked in to joining his friend El Compi' in some dodgy deals and ends up drug trafficking. And he's good at it. Better than his friend even. Unfortunately, being good at such a thing forces El Niño to take on even more and become the centre of attention for the hardworking police and good guys, Eva and Jesus (Luis Tosar, the nasty man in Cell 211, who are following them and their target El Inglés (Ian McShane) relentlessly.

But how hard can it be, their ride across The Straits of Gibraltarter is only sixteen kilometres, separating Africa from Spain. And once they do the biggest job of their lives it's all over, right?

I really enjoyed this film, and having heard it was by the same director, Daniel Monzon, who produced 'Cell 211' (which was also brilliant) I just knew this was also going to be good. I wasn't disappointed. El Niño (which translates to 'the boy') is a fast paced crime film with tense moments and poignant scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat a lot. I am such a fan of foreign films, and it was really pleasing to recognise some places when the filming was in Gilbralter. On top of that, I felt Daniel Monzon did an excellent job making the transition from Cell 211, a much smaller scaled production, to this larger, multiple location film. If I have any niggles, it would be that sometimes I felt this extravagance slightly took me away from the story at times, but I hope his next film will be a happy medium. I'd definitely watch this one again.

Incidentally, El Niño also means something else to fishermen in the Pacific off the coast of Peru and Ecuador. Every three to seven years during the months of December and January, fish in the coastal waters off of these countries virtually vanish, causing the fishing business to halt. South American fishermen have given this phenomenon the name El Niño, which is Spanish for "the Boy Child," because it comes about the time of the celebration of the birth of the Christ Child.

Petkin Mega Valu Pet Wipes, Pack of 125
Petkin Mega Valu Pet Wipes, Pack of 125
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet Wipes, Not Wet Wipes. Mega Pack!, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Petkin Mega Valu Pet Wipes, Pack of 125, is a large pack of pet wipes aimed at cleaning your pets, mainly dogs and cats, eyes, ears and face. They can also be used on their fur if needed.

I have to say these smell delicious, vanilla and coconut to be precise. So in the interest of reviewing the safeness of these for their targeted audience I have to admit I tested these out on myself. I have sensitive skin and if they brought me out in a rash or burned my eyes, then I'd definitely not be using them on my pets. Happily I can confirm none of this happend to me. Although, they do recommend them for cleaning pets eyes, they also state not to put them directly into the eyes. That said, they really are safe for pets and the ingredients are very natural, so I can quite happily recommend these.

The wipes are also fairly thin, not like thick baby wipes for example, which is good in my opinion, as they are not for all over cleaning sessions, but gentle facial cleans. If they were too thick, they'd hold too much liquid and in turn that could easily get into your pets eyes. The fact that they smell good but are light on moisture makes them good for my pets.

I've tried them out on dogs, cats and even (dare I say it) my pampered pet rats. Actually, it's a great way of freshening rats up instead of bathing them, which can be a bit chilly for them this kind of year, during the winter months.

Comes in a pack where you peel back a resealable opening, that also has a clip on lid, too. Just like those moist toilet tissues you can buy.

I will definitely be buying these again, although this pack should last for ages. They have already come in so useful, to clean up dogs slobber, wipe sleep from their eyes and to freshen up my ratties in between baths!

Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Candle Shaped Light with Power, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb fits perfectly in my Ikea double lighted, floor standing lamp which actually takes two different sized bulbs, and this is one of them. The smaller fitting out of the two.

This is a good looking energy saving bulb in 'frost', and although the bulb is not clear, it spreads a nice warm white light around the room. The other bulb I use is not one of these and I now see how 'yellow' it looks in comparsion.

I especially likes the way I can turn the lamp on and this bulb lights up in an instant. No more waiting around for the light to properly kick in when it's warmed up!

The Friendly Swede Silicone Fasteners for Garmin Vivofit Wristband (12 Pack)
The Friendly Swede Silicone Fasteners for Garmin Vivofit Wristband (12 Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance the Night Away (Securely) with The Friendly Swede!, 24 Nov 2014
Disclosure: I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation purposes in return for an honest and fair review.

The Friendly Swede 12 pack of Silicone Fasteners for Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Tracker - Black is a clever idea. As the name suggests this fits around the Garmin Vivofit Activity Tracker strap, as additional protection against loss. To date this has never happened with this wristband, but my Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband has often fallen off, so I was very pleased to not only discover these fasteners, but to learn that they fit both of my activity trackers. Neither trackers are cheap, so I do feel for the small price of these fasteners it is worth spending the extra money for additional peace of mind. Plus with 12 in a pack there is enough to use them on both activity trackers at the same time. Yes I wear two! There is not much to these silicone fasteners, but they are fit for their purpose and keep the strap secure, without adding extra weight.

The array of colours available kind of cheers up my black Garmin band, too. However, if I prefer to keep it all black to match the strap, then there are 3 black fasteners in the pack I can use. Personally I like to be able to colour co-ordinate with what I am wearing and I love to be able to jazz up my strap whenever I am in the mood!

Just slip your chosen colours onto your writstband first, (two or three work well, but you can use more if you want). Do the strap up as normal and then move the fasteners over the clasp for extra protection and peace of mind against loss.

Great for a worry free time when I am out walking the dogs, hiking or dancing the night away!

Long Life Lamp G4 Halogen Light Bulbs Lamps, 20 Watt 12 V, Pack of 10
Long Life Lamp G4 Halogen Light Bulbs Lamps, 20 Watt 12 V, Pack of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Life Lamp G4 Halogen Light Bulbs, 24 Nov 2014
These long life halogen light bulb lamps are funny things. I didn't know they existed until my reading lamp light went out and I tried for ages to force the whole lamp out. It wasn't until I resorted to looking it up on the Internet that I learnt I did not have to take out the whole lamp,(I couldn't it was fixed in!) only the small bulb within.

Now I know this lamp takes these bulbs, I've bought this pac of 10 which should keep me going for ages. I must have had the lamp for around 5 years or more and this is the first time I needed to replace the bulb.

Easy to instal and very bright for its size. I'm very happy with this product and pleased I have my favourite reading light working again. Lets hope these last as long as the original did.

Philips GU10 5 Watt 230 V 2 LED Spotlight Bulb, Warm White
Philips GU10 5 Watt 230 V 2 LED Spotlight Bulb, Warm White
Offered by DDL-Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant White Light - Phillips GU10 LED Spotlight, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips GU10 5 Watt 230 V 2 LED Spotlight Bulb is a very nice warm white glow when on and is 91% energy saving, meaning it's graded as an A* energy level and 4.5 watts has the power of 50.

I also like the fact that despite it being an energy saving bulb, it instanly comes on and doesn't slowly get brighter. A massive bonus for me.

It's a good design with a smart, quality look.

Comes in a pack of two for hours of (energy-saving) fun!

P.KU.VDSL® Waterproof 13" or under 13''/12''/10''/9.7''/8'' Case Bag For Laptop A4 File Notebook Macbook Pro Air Retina iPad 2/3/4/5/Air Padded Carrying Case Clutch Case (Dark Green For 13" or under 13''/12''/10''/9.7''/8'')
Offered by VanDeSaiL

5.0 out of 5 stars Trendy Tablet Pouch Bag (9.7" version), 22 Nov 2014

I really like this iPad pouch. It's fashionably designed in a padded, quilted material that is made up with 5 layers. The external layer is a waterproof cotton nylon, which reminds me of those padded raincoats you can get. Perfect protection for your tablet. I also has extra pockets, one of which is exactly suitable for an iPod, iPhone, Nokia Lumia sized phone, on the front. Plus there are more external pockets (on both front and back) with hidden inside velcro fasteners and a zip up pocket for cables. Plenty of room for memory sticks, adapters, stylus pens etc. It is nice to keep all the related paraphernalia toghether in one place.

Inside the padding has a lovely anti-scratch. suede-like feel, and two compartments. I find this is also very useful for taking out other delicate gadgets, like my Kindles - even with their own cases on. I especially love the built in strap (of which can be removed) as it gives it a rather nice handbag feel, without looking too girly. It can easy pass as a man bag due to the material.

I honestly like the added protection this gives my tablets when I am out and about, plus in many ways it doesn't look like it's carrying an expenisve gadget, that may be of interest to opportunist thieves.

This is worth the money, considering its handiness and the amount of protection provided. I am very happy with my new bag.

Bolse® 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Network Adapters - Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8; Mac OS X 10.5 Greater; 2.4G 802.11ngb 32-Bit and 64-Bit Compatible For Laptop, Desktop Computer
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Another High-Spec, High-Tech Bolse Winner! - The Bolse Wireless N300 High Gain USB Adapter, 22 Nov 2014

The Bolse Wireless N300 High Gain USB Adapter comes with it's own disc suitable for Linux, Mac, Windows and Windows 8 software, from which you can install the driver and Rallink WLAN utilty onto your computer, via an install wizard.

Once installed it really is simple to use and it delivers up to a speed of 300Mbps. It is also backward compatible, and works will all routers via TKIP, AES, WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK and WPA2 64/128-bit encryption. I tested this out on my Lenovo Lenovo G50-30 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Pentium N3530 2.16 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Integrated Graphics, DVDRW, HDMI, Camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Windows 8.1).

Just plug in the stick, which is very similar looking to a memory stick and it will (upon first plug in) install the wireless LAN card onto your computer. Then using the Ralink software scan for your network and type in your password- and hey presto, you are securely connected. Set up was all very straightforward and easy to understand.

When up and running I found some things I stream (movies and online gaming) did seem more stable. Especially when I took the laptop upstairs, where in the past I have had connectivity issues. So the workability range for me has definitely been extended. I do like that this is wireless and doesn't need cables to run, too. I have in the past had an old set up, which did, and it was very limiting.

The dongle is also a sleek, smooth glossy USB stick that flashes red when in use. When removed the USB it can be covered with a cap to keep it protected.

Highly recommended and at a decent price. Another high-spec, high-tech Bolse winner! Five stars from me!

1Byone Safety Driveway Patrol Infrared And Wireless Home Security Alert Alarm System Kit Color White, Classical Easy Alarms With LED Indicator Weatherproof, Protect Home Garden Garage Shed Business Warehouse Aircraft Hangar Secret Place Space And Anywhere That You Need, Protect Your Privacy, Type QH-0001
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Alarmed! 1Byone Safety Driveway Patrol Infrared And Wireless Home Security Alert Alarm System, 22 Nov 2014

The 1Byone Safety Driveway Patrol is very easy to set up. Just add batteries (not included) to both parts, the alarm and the sensor, and then fix the sensor near to what you want to protect. When it detects motion it will certainly let you know.

I have tried mine both by my shed at the bottom of the garden, but have also used it for giving me a warning when someone is down the side of the house. So it works well as a cheap, yet useful security / warning system for when you are at home.

You can also use it to place near your driveway to act as a warning someone is entering your premises or loitering, perhaps at times they shouldn't be. I suspect this would also work well for a long driveway, some distance from the road, or one that is on its own private estate, so it doesn't pick up everyone walking by as it does have a long 8 metre range. With this in mind, it does need to be stragetically placed to get the most from it. For example, if placed too low and cats might set it off. Obviously, common sense will prevail.

The Patrol system has two sound levels, low - beeps twice and high - screeches louder about 4 times. The latter is definitely more urgent! Both are very effective and sound goes up to 90db! Definitely enough to be heard over a loud telly.

I really like this and I am pleased to have discovered how handy it has become. It's an ingenious and affordable piece of kit. I would not want to be without it now.

1Byone Wireless HDMI WiFi Dongle iShare Videos Images Docs Live Camera Musics from All Smart Devices to TV, Monitor or Projector
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Laptop Sharing iShare, 21 Nov 2014

The 1Byone iShare Wirless HDMI WiFi Dongle connects multiple devices to your Wi-Fi 1Byone iShare Wireless HDMI WiFi Dongle connects mulitple devices to your Wi-Fi is very easy and convenient to use. Just download the EZcast app to your Android OS 4.0 or above), laptop/Smart phone / tablet or Windows PC (XP/Vista/7/8) and Mac PC mirror function.

It truly does support multi-OS unlike some. IOS 5.0 or above; Android 4.0 or above; Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (I tried mine out with Windows 8 and it worked fine).

Comes with the dongle, that looks very much like a memory stick and two cables.

Setting this up was easy with the EZcast app and once up and running I was pleasantly surprised at how useful this is.

From my laptop I can stream movies, YouTube, and share pictures and games to my living room TV for everyone to see. I like to use it to transfer my live IP camera from my PC to the telly, too. Pretty cool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20