Profile for Mrs. T. Newton > Reviews

Content by Mrs. T. Newton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 607

Mrs. T. Newton "Sassy Brit" (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink
Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Pink-tastic!, 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This fantastically pink notebook is rather special. First I love the colour of the wipe clean covers. It is spiral bound too, so can easily be opened to lay flat or pushed right around so the top page is a clean page to write on.

This Leitz notebook is A4 in size, lined and has four holes punched through each page. The whole pad consists of 80 x A4 sheets and the weight of the paper is 80g/m2 , which is fairly thick making this quite good paper to write on. It also has a perforated edge where pages can be easily ripped out if needed.

I think it's a great notebook, although a little bit pricey, should you wish to spend this sort of money on a notepad you will not be disappointed.

Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
by Valli Little

5.0 out of 5 stars Big on Taste, 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Valli Little Loves to Cook delicious recipes to share and there are 140 of them in this book titled the same.

Included within are great pantry essentials, family favourites, quick midweek dinners and delicious desserts for fine dining with friends. Some recipes I recognised but they had a different slant, which I feel give them a new lease of life.

The book is a nice large size and the pictures are mouth-watering. All in all, I'm very pleased with this and have already tried out a few recipes with some success, which is great as I'm not know for my cooking skills.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Certified and Old, but works with no complaints -- Just like me!, 15 Sep 2014
I bought a Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD [Previous Generation] 7" HD Display 16GB, for a present and because Amazon were selling them off cheap. Our family now has 4 Kindles and one of them is the very old Kindle eReader with the ability to press the keyboard on the front of it, which came out even before the Kindle Paperwhite, it's that old. I loved push button Kindle at the time, but these newer types are so much better because they are modern and have the ability to connect to the internet and they are so much more than just eReaders these days.

Good for:

Going online/web browsing ( includes Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi)
Watching movies (great colour quality and reduced screen glare, with touchscreen. Dual stereo speakers and Dolby Audio)
It has a built-in HDMI port, so you can watch videos and films through your Kindle on your home telly with other people - on a bigger screen.
Apps
Playing games
It's easy to use. The interface is simple to get your head around
Shopping is very easy
AutoRip gives you free MP3 versions of eligible CDs and vinyl you purchase from Amazon via your Cloud at no extra charge
The screen is tough and clear
There are parental controls for kids using your Kindle
Can use Skype to Skype HD Video calls free
Small enough to put in your handbag and carry around, unlike the bigger versions which are more cumbersome
Loads of covers available to protect your Kindle even further
So easy to use apps like Facebook and Twitter around the house, so not always having to boot up the computer to do it anymore
Can also put headphones in
All your Amazon purchases (books and music) are immediately stored in the cloud too, so they are all in one place
and oh yes, reading books and magazines!

Not so good for:

Going online unless you have a Wi-Fi connection available when you are out. Not always possible for 24 hour connection like having a mobile with GPS features
Charging is slow via computer, but much easier (4 hours to fully charge) with additional Amazon PowerFast Charger for Accelerated Charging, UK (for Amazon devices) - which is also an additional cost and not cheap...
Apps that have in game purchases. You will need to watch this if you have kids playing and make sure the parental controls are sufficient to stop automatic purchasing
Even for adults playing it's quite tempting to spend more money on in game purchases
Only the first 250 imported songs are stored free of charge, anymore than that you have to pay
Saving money, it's far to easy to shop more often!

I feel the pros far outweigh the cons no end, and I'm really happy with this purchase. I recommend the refurbished route as it is cheaper, still has a guarantee and has been tested and certified to look and work like new.

Cannibal [DVD]
Cannibal [DVD]
Dvd ~ Antonio de la Torre

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannibal with Heart, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cannibal [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Carlos, a renown tailor in Granada, is secretly a guiltless killer and eats his unwilling victims. After his latest kill, and stocking up his fridge with fresh meat without a trip to the supermarket, a woman called Nina comes knocking on his door asking for help. Her sister is missing and unbeknown to her, is sitting in his fridge, all chopped up and ready to cook. To satisfy his hunger Carlos plans to take Nina away to his cabin in the snow, restocking his fridge at the same time, but he falls for Nina and things take a different turn discovering emotions he never knew he possessed.

I'm quite a collector of horror films and I love films from all over the world, so I was pleased to be able to review this was Spanish horror with English subtitles. I was not overly thrilled with the story as it unravelled. At times it seemed a little slow moving, however, I felt this was intentional in an artistic, stark and murderous way, which seemed to fit the plot and the nature of the main character Carlos. In his public life Carlos was quite simply a man with nothing to shout out about apart from his specialised tailoring skills, but behind closed doors became a gruesome cannibal - it wasn't until he met Nina he started to think about what he had done and how it was affecting others, in a way that would be startling obvious to us!

I liked some of the camera work, many times the screen was framed by a darkness surrounding a doorway leading to a well lit room, where a silhouette of Carlos could be seen sitting. This helped the deadly atmosphere no end, but sadly it wasn't enough to make me want to see it again. For a horror, a lot of the gruesome acts are only implied and in that respect it is not a nasty slasher type movie and definitely had more artistic flair, the problem being that it could have done with a boost of excitement before the final scene appeared.

I'm torn into two, not literally like some Carlos' evening meals; on one hand it felt like a lower budget, slow moving film (and lower budgets are not a problem as such I'm all for Indie films), but on the other hand (gratefully still attached) the slowness of the film fit the character and his story very well. You get something quite different with this film in comparison to popular high budget, A-list star, blockbuster versions of cannibals and in my eyes I see this film as worth a watch to understand why.

Twister Dance
Twister Dance

4.0 out of 5 stars Boogie Wonderland, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Twister Dance (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Twister Dance is a dance console and music player, which has four popular dance songs already built in and also comes with a connector cord so you can plug in your iPod and choose your own songs to dance to. It runs on batteries, so you do have to buy these separately, but it's well worth it.

This is one cool version of the old Twister game also made my Hasbro, the difference being this teaches you how to do the steps for the game and when you've mastered the steps you can move onto to dance mode for a real test of endurance and, of course, your dancing ability.

"Teach Me How to Dougie" has one set of steps to learn, "Neon Lights" has five, "Party Rock Anthem" (my favourite tune!!) has eight and finally "Come Over" has eight sets of steps to master, too.

My only negative point is that, it's aimed at girls. The dancer on the console is a girl and I do not see why it couldn't include a male dancer (perhaps with a baseball cap?) to make it more unisex. I mean, I've seen grown men joining in with this game after a few drinks and it's been hilarious fun, but it may be a little off putting for the younger generation of males who also like to boogie on down.

That said, it's a fun way to keep fit and is at times quite challenging, but in a 'Im-not-as-fit-as-I-used-to-be' way. Kids with lots of energy will love this and the fact that you can play the game mode with your own songs makes this particularly appealing to me.

Now there's no excuse to dance the night away and have fun keeping fit and healthy, too.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (3 ft / 0.9m)
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (3 ft / 0.9m)

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster Transmission Speed at a Basic Price, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable arrived I did my research, because I was curious to why this was any different to the cable I reviewed before,AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male Cable with Lighted Ends Braided 6 Feet / 1.8 m, and discovered that USB 3 is the third major revision of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard for computer connectivity. Also known as SuperSpeed USB, these cables allow transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s when connecting USB 3 devices, this is more than 10 times the speed of USB 2 (480 Mbit/s). A USB 3 cable can also carry a higher current compared to USB 2.

I am unsure to why it matters that the cable has corrosion-resistant connections, but I am assuming that as the connectors are also gold plated it provides a faster and better performance - signal wise.

It certainly works well and I have no complaints.

It comes shipped in Amazon's frustration free packaging, making it easy to unpack and dispose by recycling and I'm fully for this and would recommend this sturdy looking cable.

Barbie Endless Curls Doll
Barbie Endless Curls Doll

4.0 out of 5 stars Tong-in-Chic, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Barbie Endless Curls Doll (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Is your Barbie fed up with limp locks? Are her tousled waves looking more like she's had an accident involving fingers and a plug socket? Does her current look scare you witless? Well, you need a Barbie Endless Curls where masses of bubbly curls are guaranteed and neither heat or styling lotion are required. So stop having nightmares and read on...

When this blue-eyed beauty arrived, she brought with her a box full of goodies; two curling tongs, 4 rollers, 2 hair grips, elastic bands and a hairbrush. Everything Barbie needs for you to get creative and knock 'em dead. Even Ken won't be able to resist.

She wears a modern sparkly pink and black dress, and fashionable on-trend high heels, which add more than a touch of glamour to her already pretty face and down to her bottom long blonde hair. Oddly, however, with all her fashion sense and gorgeous looks, I found it rather disturbing (and so did my son, goodness knows what he was looking for), that she couldn't be bothered to wear any knickers. Dirty doll. I mean, why go through all that time and effort to produce such a pretty fashionable up to date modern costume design and leave out the panties? Obviously Barbie is not so sweet and innocent after all...

That aside, Barbie Endless Curls and all her fabulous goodies are just what you need to get creative! For that individual look use the tongs (roll, hold for 10 seconds and release) to produce cascades of tumbling curls and let them fall naturally for a casual finish. If you fancy straight once more, just use the brush to straighten it out. Simple and safe. No burnt fingers.

Just don't look under her skirt unless you have a cast iron stomach.

Omron Walking Style IV Step Counter - Blue, Size 1
Omron Walking Style IV Step Counter - Blue, Size 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to using Action Mode, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm no fitness freak by any means, but I do try to get products that spur me along a little more than I would do without anything. Hence, I've tried several other step counters in my plight for fitness without too much pain; the last being the Omron Walking Style One 2.1 Pedometer - Black/Grey and that was impressive, so I had high hopes for this one, which is also by Omron.

I was not disappointed.

The Omron Walking Style IV Step Counter - Blue, Size 1 - looks small, smooth and stylish. I found it very easy to set up. Just start it up by holding any button for two seconds and it says 'Hello' then chose the up or down button to scroll through to get the measurements you are happy with - weight, distance and step length. Yes, I could use kg's and miles. Also 'time', so you have a clock on you at all times, too. When each choice is correct select the middle button to confirm and away you go.

Very easy indeed.

This comes with a carry strap and a clip and is small enough to carry in a pocket or clip to your top, or using the strap pop over your wrist.

There is nothing about this pedometer that I do not like.

I love:

It has a very nice feature of turning off when not in use, so I should imagine this saves on batteries. One CR2032 battery is included.

Incorporates Omron's usual 3D sensor technology for accurate readings.

This model includes a memory of 1 - 7 days, easily scrolled through via the 'mem' button.

It automatically detects your active, faster paced steps from your normal walking routine.

If you click 'mode' it scrolls through steps, distance, kcal and best of all, there is also an 'aerobic' mode you can press, so it records any extra curriculum aerobic activity separately from your usual step counts. Called 'Action Mode'.

All this in one tiny, good looking gadget.

Well, with all the other things I've been reviewing lately, I can see this getting a lot of 'aerobic' action, in action mode.

But can my husband keep up the pace?

Now there's a thought. Maybe I should get him one, so he can find his own action button...

I for one, would pay money to see that!

V-MODA XS Metal Noise Isolating On Ear Headphones - Matte Black
V-MODA XS Metal Noise Isolating On Ear Headphones - Matte Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The Keanu Reeves of Headphones, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the V-MODA XS Metal Noise Isolating On Ear Headphones in Matte Black arrived, I couldn't unwrap them quick enough. It seems like I've been on the hunt for a decent pair of headphones that last and are comfortable, for ages. Could this be the one?

At first look, the package looked too small for what they are. Inside the small box (which in itself was stylish and well designed in orange, white and black)I pulled out a hard black shell exoskeleton case. Already I could see this is not the average headphone quality - if they've gone this far with just the case and the design of the outer packaging these have got to be special.

With nervous anticipation, I zipped open the case and opened it up to an orange glow. Okay, not a glow but the inside of the case is a bright orange and pretty bright.

Attached to the inside of the case was the Kelvar reinforced cable, with a 1 button on/off SpeakEasy mic. Orange and stylish. It certainly does look hard-wearing, yet flexible. Clearly the designers have put time and effort into designing tangle free wire protection. Right down to the 24k gold 3.5mm plug. Suitable for iPods, Androids, Windows and BlackBerry's and anything with 3.5mm port devices.

Then, sitting there in the case were the headphones, all curled up, so small; apparently military-level quality.

In 'bullet time', I slowly took them out and eased the headphones into place, plugged it into my iPod and placed them around my head. They fit without even extending them, so even much bigger headed people can wear these!

Hmmm! I sighed in ecstasy, and leaned back, savouring the feel. They were the most comfortable isolating on the ear headphones I have ever tried. And believe me, I've tried a few.

Hardly being able to contain myself, I switched on my iPod. In an instant I could tell the sound was just as good as anticipated. Clear, well balanced and with just enough base to sound damn near perfect. No tinniness whatsoever. A little music leaks out, but unless you trap your head in a glass bubble, or you're living in a shared simulation of the world similar to the Matrix where anything is possible, that's inevitable.

I haven't heard a word my husband has said since...

That's got to be a bonus.

I may not be the Oracle, but I think I may have found Keanu Reeves of headphones -- 'The One'.

Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - (Pack of 4 Refills)

4.0 out of 5 stars Give them a Whirl!, 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads provides 4 refills for several of the Oral-B electric toothbrush range. It does say on the back of the pack that there are exceptions. These will not fit the Pulsonic, Sonic Complete or the Vitality Sonic.

So what does CrossAction mean?

Well the individual brushes have been designed in a particular angle to get deeper into the teeth to therefore get rid of more plaque.

What do I like about these?

The brush is fairly small and fits into my mouth and around the back without too much face-pulling. I also like the 'indicator' brush, that shows when the brush head is due for replacement. It is recommended to refresh your toothbrush about every three months, so this pack of 4 will be enough for one person for a whole year.

I also like them because the heads are small enough to not make me gag. And believe it or not, I have over sensitive gag-reflexes and can't hold large things in my mouth for long periods of time, without gagging. But the less said about that, the better. At least this type of brush head doesn't cause that.

((Just read this review out to my husband, like you do. He seems to be under the impression 'I should be gagged at all times'. Not sure he has understood what this review is all about... ))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20