Profile for J. R. E. Peake > Reviews

Content by J. R. E. Peake

J. R. E. Peake (London, England)

Where Did it All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
Where Did it All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
by Andrew Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Millions like us, 19 Feb 2003
At last, someone's written the book of my life. Who thought normal could be so entertaining? Andrew Collins passage from tot to teen in the suburbs of Northampton is a triumph.
Being of identical age to the author (he is in fact three months older than me to the day), this brilliant book evokes so many memories of growing up in the Seventies and early Eighties.
The toys, the food (though my mum was a better cook), the music (still not sure about 999), the school days, the thoughts and the feelings - the book struck myriad chords, I sometimes thought Andrew Collins might have sneaked a look at my own diaries (all two of them). I found some startling parallels, like a childhood fear of the disabled and 'bits' in school milk, to name but two of thousands.
The teenage years were a treat too: The clothes, the girls, the rows, - the 'commendably effeminate' suedette pixie boots...
Of course the the best thing about this book is that, thanks to the Collins diaries, these memories are real. They knock tiresome ten-a-penny nostalgia shows into a cocked hat. Read it and weep, Jamie Theakston!
If you grew up 'normal' in the Seventies and early Eighties, this is a book you MUST read.
No whingers.