Profile for C. N. Harrison > Reviews

Content by C. N. Harrison

C. N. Harrison "True to the line" (Highlands)

PURE Chronos iDock Series II, DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod/iPhone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DAB Clock Radio, 8 Jan 2010
First thing to note about this unit is the great sound quality especially with spoken word and moreover given that this is just, essentially an alarm clock, its almost (but not quite) as good as my Pure Evoke. No more tinny, crackling screetch in the mornings for me. Many things, however, have been written about the sound quality of these units and I think if your after an out an out music pod dock then this probably isn't going to meet your needs. This is not in the same league as say a B&W Zeppelin or a Fatman Itube (both amazing).

The alarm settings are simple to use and navigate - quite amazingly you can have an alarm for the weekends and one for weekdays.

I have found to date that all functions are similarly easy to navigate and really quite intuitive.

I particularly like the sleep functions (chosse between 15 minutes and upwards in 15 min intervals).

The DAB reception has been great and I live in a particularly cruddy area where I can't even recieve regular TV signals.

In summary, great little unit with decent sound quality and easy to use.

Satmap Regions 1:50000
Satmap Regions 1:50000
Price: £11.29 - £121.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The Making of Satmap, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Satmap Regions 1:50000 (Sports)
The standout feature of the satmap is its ability to give you your position on the wonderful O.S landranger (1:50000) and Explorer (1:25000)series mapping. O.S mapping is amongst, if not the, greatest map series in the world. The regional series for satmap in particular are of great value due to the fact that you may not need the whole of GB and need regions outside of the three "halves". I have SE, SW England and NW scotland.

Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS
Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money!, 13 July 2009
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
I was incredabley excited about this product on its launch and although the initial outlay of £350 seemed quite a lot (it is a lot) I treat myself to the unit and several mapping cards. The premise of a gps with ordinance survey mapping to which you can upload routes (in the gpx format) and dowload route data from trips was exactly what I wanted.

The Reality has proved otherwise.

The unit really isn't reliable enough and I experienced software crashes at some very annoying times, from which the unit would not switch back on for some hours.

For this reason I returned the item without wishing to have a replacement on the single premise that:

mapping needs to be reliable and your own personal safety in the outdoors can depend upon the reliability and ability to read and have maps available. Needing to take a paper map and a(questionabley reliable) electronic unit defeats the purpose of one or the other. As the paper map has proved more reliable it goes without saying which you need to take.

In addition to the unreliability the satelites take an age to pick up and the pointer function is too slow for cycling purposes. Battery life is shorter than I expected and the laughably fragile battery connection is a design flaw.

Overall I have been very dissapointed
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2011 5:42 PM GMT

Boots on the Line: Walking 1000 Miles of Britain's Dismantled Railways
Boots on the Line: Walking 1000 Miles of Britain's Dismantled Railways
by Stephen Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of an Immense Undertaking, 3 Dec 2007
As a keen hill walker, I was sceptical about how difficult dismantled railway walking could be. Mr Lewis describes here with finite detail, the journey that took him and his colleagues 1000 miles across land and scenery that most of us would ignore and, as I discovered from reading, probably not be organised enough to undertake this monumantal task. The book contains Grid References, route details, great photographs and a little insight into the struggle that must have been 1000 miles of walking. I came to the conclusion that dismantled railway walking is not that easy. I'll stick to Munroes and the like.