Profile for Sam W > Reviews

Content by Sam W

Sam W

KES A6260 Bathroom Lavatory Suction Cup Single Coat and Robe Hook, Brushed Stainless Steel
Offered by KES Home Global

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with slightly textured surfaces..., 10 July 2015
Looks nice. Pretty disappointed that it doesn't stick to my tiled walls though, after some searching it's apparently because they are slightly (Ever so slightly) textured. Fully rotated to the locked position they fall off of the tiles after about 30 seconds. Got 2 of these and they both have this issue. Small instruction sheet provided, written in Mandarin though so, yeah... Not very helpful. Fortunately they do stick to my plastic cabinets perfectly so I'm just using it in a slightly different position than I had planned to.

Really, it should have a warning that it doesn't stick to surfaces that are slightly textured. I have a Gecko suction-based shower shelf that's been hanging from the bathroom tiles for 2 weeks now without issue, holding far more weight than these robe hooks, so really not impressed with these.

DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet [PC]
DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet [PC]
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective little modem, 4 July 2015
Couldn't be happier with this modem. Absolutely the most simple install, nice and compact and looks decent. The PPPoA-PPPoE passthrough is a godsend for me.

For those in a similar situation to me, of which I'm sure there will be a few... I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC66U AC1750 from Amazon. Plugged it in and connected it to an old Netgear DG834 which was intended to act as the modem, as the Asus is just a Router. Having set the Netgear to Modem-only mode, the Asus would not connect to the net either through Auto-IP or PPPoE. It doesn't have a PPPoA option and my ISP, being in the UK, requires PPPoA. I tried all sorts of solutions from Google's results for 'Asus AC66U PPPoA' etc. but could only get it to work in any way by running the Netgear in its standard Modem/Router mode and simply passing the connection to the Asus. This wasn't optimal as I essentially had both routers running NATs, DCHP etc. and I noticed serious issues browsing the web, for example Youtube vids would at times take 5-10 seconds to even begin loading, and would buffer, despite me having ample bandwidth (~14mb/s) to stream them with.

So, after searching for a simple modem that would do what I needed I decided on this. It's the only modem I could find that actually mentioned having a specific feature to handle PPPoA->PPPoE.

The modem arrived today, I plugged it all in, absolutely no config required for the modem itself. Opened up the Asus config and Auto-IP (Which I was previously using) wasn't giving any network. Changed it to PPPoE and entered my ISP user/pass, hit Apply, and boom - instant connection to the net. Straight to speedtest.net and I get speeds of 13.6mb/s instead of the old 12mb/s with the Netgear. Tested a bunch of Youtube vids and they instantly start playing and load super-fast, as you'd expect nowadays.

Really, it does seem overpriced for what it does but at the end of the day it does exactly what I needed a modem to do without any hassle, so I'm happy. Only question now is how long will it last - obviously I'm a bit worried by the other reviewers stating they don't last long, I'll update this review should I get any issues down the line.

Halo: Silentium
Halo: Silentium

5.0 out of 5 stars Carries the trilogy, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Halo: Silentium (Kindle Edition)
I'll keep this a short review.

The first book was decent. The second book was pretty dull for the most part. This book was awesome, almost all the way through, and genuinely made the series worth reading. Hooray. You basically finally get what you wanted from the beginning - perspectives from some of the most important Forerunners of the time, loads of info on the Forerunners, Flood, Precursors, ancient Humans and more which I can't really say without spoiling it. I just wish it had been this good from the start.

All in all, a great conclusion to a good series.

BenQ XL2411T 24 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920x1080, 1ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI, 3D-Ready, 120Hz, HDMI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing (Especially for gamers), 21 Mar. 2013
I purchased this screen based on the recommendation of my friend who got a 120hz monitor recently, as well as the favourable reviews all over the net.

Well, it arrived today, I plugged it in, and at first, I couldn't tell the difference that much. Was a bit worried that maybe I wasted my money. Then I went into my nvidia control panel and realised the refresh rate hadn't automatically been set to 120 or 144hz. (Which, yes, this monitor is 100% capable of, I'm currently using it) Oops! Anyway, upon changing the refresh rate to 120hz my face lit up - the difference is immediately noticeable. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. Simply moving the mouse between my 120hz monitor and my 60hz, I can tell straight away which one is 120hz. In fact, it basically makes using the 60hz monitor feel laggy, in a way which I hadn't realised before.

It was kind of like when I first got a good pair of headphones. It was only until I got a good pair that I realised how bad the previous pair was. Same kinda thing with this, it really is.

Now, that was all simply moving the mouse around on the screen. I decided to really test it out by loading up Devil May Cry (The new reboot one, which I really enjoy playing), a game with superb fluid animations, which moves at a very high pace. The result was outstanding. I could not be happier with how smooth everything seems. You have to see it to believe it.

Even on games that aren't extremely fluid compared to hack-n-slashes like DMC - League of Legends, for example, the difference in smoothness was still extremely obvious. The improvement can be seen in pretty much everything which is animated in any way.

Now, the above is likely a review for probably any 120hz monitor going. So I'll talk some about this one in particular. It apparently has a 1ms response time, so, not much to say about that other than "good". It can run at either 120hz or 144hz. The choice is up to you, I'm currently running at 144hz as mentioned. I have read on some forums that certain things can cause problems when run at 144hz, but I'm going to keep running 144hz until I experience such problems.

The build quality of the monitor is pretty high. It has a solid matte finish which I like as it doesn't reflect anything. It looks and feels solid. The stand is great as you can adjust the height of the monitor very easily by pushing a sort of pin in at the back of the stand and pulling the monitor upwards. Additionally, when you put the monitor to max height, you can swivel the monitor 90 degrees to a portrait position, if you feel like it. Personally I'm not bothered but I can see the benefits for people who might want to use such a setup - for reading webpages and working on portrait images it has to be awesome.

I haven't even tried the 3D yet as I'm not too bothered about that and the Nvidia glasses cost £100 or so, quite frankly F that, but if you're into it, I believe it uses/is capable with the latest version of Nvidia 3D Vision (Version 2 I think), which apparently is actually quite an improvement from the first version in terms of how good it looks. (Better colours, less murky etc) I might give it a go one day but right now I don't really care. I would recommend this monitor on the 2D aspects alone, without a doubt.

Now, to address the topic which I've seen has attracted the most negative attention when looking at reviews and comments for this monitor - the colours. To me, they are quite bright. This is probably because it's set to the default FPS mode, and I think for this purpose it is great. These colours allow you to see as much as you are able to see, really. I've seen charts and graphs from colour fanatics and yeah this monitor may not be the holy grail of perfect colour production, but to be honest I doubt most people will care - it's not that noticeable, and for games, which most people will buy this monitor for, it's absolutely fine. I cannot be bothered to play around with the settings personally.

Really, can't recommend this enough assuming you are a gamer at all. If you are looking at a new monitor, it is absolutely worth the price difference between a 60hz one and this beast (Around £60-80 difference I believe at the moment). Go for it, you won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 12:06 PM GMT

Halo: Cryptum
Halo: Cryptum

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow burner, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Halo: Cryptum (Kindle Edition)
Was pretty slow to start but loved it towards the end, definitely getting the second one just for the conclusion of the story really.

Definitely have to agree with the previous reviewer Irvinus on the descriptions etc. The author took like a whole page to describe what a portal looks like but doesn't even describe how many of the characters look. Probably the most specific character description we get throughout the entire book is that the main character's father is 4 meters tall (Bloody hell!) and his mother's skin is bluish-gray. And some of the concepts and description I just couldn't really understand or visualise - the war sphinxes for example, machines which are mentioned plenty throughout the book. I'm pretty sure he never gave an actual description of their physical characteristics. Am I to believe that the Forerunners basically had flying metal sphinx-like machines which people could pilot? [...] Really? OK. Also descriptors like "hard light formed around the spokes of the ring (Halo)" (Not an exact quote but close enough), what is that? Just what is that exactly? Is there such a thing as soft light? How can light be hard? Oh and one thing that really got me was the description of the San-Shyuum (Aka the Prophets in Halo) as being "Beautiful", "Charming" and almost seductive. Just cannot wrap my head around that without an explanation - either the Forerunners' idea of beauty was vastly different from ours or the San-Shyuum looked very different and went from beautiful, gracious beings to shriveled worm-like long-eared freaks. The answer is left to us for now. Maybe it'll be explained later, or has already been done so in another form of media that I haven't seen. Hate to nitpick but when reading some of this stuff I just had to stop and think about wtf the author was actually describing.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting read with quite a few interesting concepts like Forerunner mutations and their social structure, their armour, AIs, extreme terraforming, slip-space travel, The Flood, faint glimpses into the Precursors, the aforementioned portals and more. The plot is pretty interesting, as it includes some of the major Forerunner players seen in Halo 4 - The Didact and the Librarian. And as said previously, the plot really starts to kick off with an awesome finale.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2015 3:53 PM GMT

Beyerdynamic DTX101 iE Performance In-Ear Earphones - Black
Beyerdynamic DTX101 iE Performance In-Ear Earphones - Black
Offered by Local Marketplace LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice buds, 25 April 2012
Comfy fit, good price for good quality earphones. I'm not a major audiophile although I have been getting increasingly elitist about the audio gear I buy recently and these do the job very nicely. Good bass, good treble with the equalizer (From the superb audio player app Poweramp) on my phone. Based on some of the reviews I was worried about some "Cable noise" thing but I have no idea what this is with these - I can't hear any sort of rustling or disturbance from the cable when playing music at all, when walking. Maybe if I was to run with the earphones on without any music actually playing then I might hear some so-called cable noise but that's about it.

Charles Jacobs LUXURY EXECUTIVE BACK SUPPORT COMFORTABLE OFFICE CHAIR in Black new 2013 BUSINESS ERGONOMIC DESIGN +TILT LOCK MECHANISM

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a beast, 24 April 2012
Quite a beast of a chair. Very comfy seat (There's some phat padding in this bad boy), back is comfy too, almost same level of padding as the seat. I don't have a bad back but it seems like the sort of chair that would be good for those with a bad back anyway, and a few reviews have said that too so probably true. Not very high. I'm short and my head easily goes above the back although it's quite a perfect resting position for my head so I'm not fussed - taller people though might want to look for a higher back chair. There is a tilt function, however it is limited in tiltage and you cannot lock it after tilting (I'm 99% sure on this, the mechanism just seems like it won't go once so it's basically just for an occasionally lean back with your feet up on the desk etc. This rather lacking tilt function is why I'm giving it 4 not 5/5. Quality wise I've only had it for about a month so I don't know how long it will last - no way to tell at the moment. But it's holding up fine for now at least. Construction was OK - not too confusing - took maybe 30-40 minutes with 2 people, some parts were a little awkward but nothing impossible. Just apply brain and it should be no problem.

At the end of the day, it's very comfy to sit in, tilt function is rather poor, but really if you're look for a comfy chair for £99 or so this is the one to get. Careful of the shipping cost though, had to pay £38 or so living in Jersey which is a lot more than the £0-3 I usually pay for delivery.