Profile for Top Reader > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Gossard Showtime Satin Plunge Bra in Purple, Size 34DD
Gossard Showtime Satin Plunge Bra in Purple, Size 34DD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 Mar. 2012
I purchased this for my girlfriend and she absolutely loved it. It's a perfect fit and looks incredibly sexy on the right woman. Very highly recommended quality product.

Tuscany Silver Pink Cubic Zirconia Channel Set Hoop Earrings
Tuscany Silver Pink Cubic Zirconia Channel Set Hoop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little gift!, 3 Mar. 2012
I bought these as a Valentine's Day gift and they were very well received. They are very pretty and certainly different to the usual colours of ear-rings. A really nice product!

Psychology: A Student's Handbook
Psychology: A Student's Handbook
by Michael W. Eysenck

5.0 out of 5 stars A psycho's dream..., 3 Mar. 2012
The reviews of this book speak for themselves: everything that is written in these reviews is accurate; this really is a wonderful book. I am currently finishing off an a level in the subject but I also have child psychology and counselling diplomas. I can honestly say that this book covers everything, regardless of the discipline of this science you are interested in. It really is a comprehensive, though not tedious, read for the beginner upwards. It is certainly one of the bigger books you'll find but an essential weapon in the armoury to combat an approach to studying psychology. I buy and review a lot of books; this one, though, is one of the few that truly deserves a 'must-buy' rating.

Barca: A People's Passion
Barca: A People's Passion
by Jimmy Burns

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but like Barca at present, not quite top of the league, 2 Feb. 2012
I am about to visit the Camp Nou for the first time and wanted to read up on the background to what is obviously a very rich history. This book was recommended by several guide books and it did not fail to tell me all that I needed to know. The full history is clearly laid out and in a digestible format. I am now sure why people are giving this such bad reviews on Amazon - the only explanation is that they are Real Madrid fans - so do read between the lines of these and have a bit of common sense. This is a non-fiction text, so why people are giving it bad reviews saying that it is 'too detailed' says more about the reader than the book, I fancy. If I had one gripe it would be regarding sentence structure - on occasions Burns uses a rather bizarre object/verb/subject sentence structure which can come across as a little tedious - however, I presume that this is down to him speaking Catalan as well as English so if anything it just adds to the feel of the place! This book was perfect for me - a first-time visitor to this beautiful place - and I feel suitably swotted up now for the stadium tour!

Sound Bites Electronic Gadget
Sound Bites Electronic Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - good device!, 2 Feb. 2012
I was a bit sceptical at the price (which I felt was a little high given that you can get a lot of free sound effect APPs nowadays for mobile phones). However I am a teacher and regularly need sound effects for story telling and such, and it is unprofessional to have one's own mobile phone in school. This is ideal - a good range of amusing sounds - and keeps kids interested enough for starter activities, warm-up games and so forth. It has lasted me now well over a year with the original battery, so I am a very satisfied customer!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2012 8:08 PM GMT

Ariel Eternity Ring, 9ct Yellow Gold Diamond and Emerald Ring, Channel Set
Ariel Eternity Ring, 9ct Yellow Gold Diamond and Emerald Ring, Channel Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice ring, 2 Feb. 2012
I purchased this for my girlfriend three years ago for a Valentine's Day trip to Dublin due to the emeralds and she absolutely loved it. I am not a cheap person, and this ring looks really valuable. It is so nice that, bizarrely, I inadvertently purchased another one last week because it looked so nice on screen! Crazy, but thankfully Amazon were superb in offering a refund, so no complaints whatsoever. I will give it five stars because some idiots, when they review something which arrives late or gets lost at the Post Office, give negative scores which I think is unfair on Amazon who, let's face it, save us all a trip to the crowded city centres of the country and actually have some great items for sale, such as this ring. Buy it - your missus will not be disappointed!

Scarne's New Complete Guide to Gambling Edition: Reprint
Scarne's New Complete Guide to Gambling Edition: Reprint
by John Scarne

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide to gambling, 2 Feb. 2012
This really is a complete guide to gambling across a broad spectrum of gambling games. It is a huge book but certainly one which deserves to be read thoroughly. It is not a book to dip in and out of in my opinion. The sections on craps, blackjack and poker definitely stand the test of time and you can easily use his advice in casinos up and down the country... and win. I must emphasise the size of this book - it is huge! It covers all manner of gambling games - the bottom line is that gambling is a mug's game, but you can put the odds slightly in your favour from time to time (for example, with blackjack). Scarne is the recognised figurehead of gambling fairness, and at times he does blow his own trumpet a little too much. In summary, I am a moderate gambler so I found this book useful. However, you will need reading stamina - this is not one for the Facebook generation!

The Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas 2008 (Unofficial Guides)
The Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas 2008 (Unofficial Guides)
by Bob Sehlinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Las Vegas!, 5 Jan. 2012
I searched for a decent Las Vegas guide for several weeks prior to visiting the place but they were all either too expensive or were DK-type guides with more pictures than pages. I purchased this 2008 version as the new one was quite dear (in hindsight now I would definitely have bought the new one) and found this 2008 version perfectly adequate. The book is written in an authorative yet friendly tone. The wisdom within the book is superb and I can honestly say that the tips and advice offered saved us a small fortune in money and a vast amount of time. There is even a decent guide to gambling in the various games which will save a lot of time and money trawling through big books on craps and so forth. I cannot recommend this book highly enough especially for first-time visitors to Vegas like us. Well worth every penny!

The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
by J. D. McClatchy

4.0 out of 5 stars As it says on the cover!, 22 Dec. 2010
This is a very thorough book which displays the talents of some of America's finest twentieth century poets. The order is logically presented and the variety of poets is pleasing with males and females nearly equally represented. I bought the book as an introduction to modern American poetry so obviously more well-known American poets such as Walt Whitman and Robert Frost will not be in here, but in my opinion the exclusivity of this anthology means that the poems are a very unique collection.

Obviously works by Sylvia Plath and Allen Ginsberg are included, but these really are the most well-known. Beyond that, readers will enjoy impressive poems by Robert Penn Warren, Frank O'Hara, Robert Lowell, James Merrill and John Berryman. Female poets who impress include Anne Sexton, Elizabeth Bishop, May Swenson and Denise Levertov. The cover of the book is suitably contemporary and the pages themselves have a pulpy-feel to them which enhances the notion of being privy to a journey into the demi-monde of American poetry as you read each one.

As with any anthology readers will always dispute what is left out rather than enjoying what is included. This book does everything it sets out to do: it is a very accurate snapshot of contemporary American poetry and focuses upon many of the outsiders, for want if a better term. It is a really interesting read and whilst you may not enjoy each and every poem, there is definitely something for everyone in this anthology that will make you want to read more by a particular poet.

The Oxford Anthology of English Poetry Volume II: Blake to Heaney: Blake to Heaney Vol 2
by John Wain

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry at its very best, 22 Dec. 2010
I ordered both volumes of this anthology, keen to boost the prestige of my bookshelves as an English teacher. This is truly an excellent book - it contains all of the key poems of the past three hundred years and the quality is extremely high. There are well-known poems such as Blake's 'A Poison Tree'; Coleridge's 'Kubla Khan'; and Shelley's 'Ozymandias', as well as slightly lesser known (to newcomers to poetry, at least) works like Hood's 'The Bridge of Sighs' and Betjeman's 'Death in Leamington'. You can see the spread of poets and eras spanned by this anthology, and there really is everything in between.

A very overused term when purchasing books is 'a worthy addition to any bookshelf'. This however would not do justice to this fine book: it is simply a must have item for newcomers to poetry and afficionados alike. I purchase lot of books and I teach poetry so I know of what I speak. Buy at any cost.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8