Profile for Top Reader > Reviews

American Pastoral
American Pastoral
by Philip Roth

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzling..., 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: American Pastoral (Paperback)
I have read several Roth books, but I simply could not get into this one - it really did leave me scratching my head wondering what Roth was thinking. Just because he can write in detail, it does not mean that being unnecessarily wordy is the best way to convey the tale. It really does feel over-egged, and it might have been a better read had it not been. The idea of a successful man snogging his own eleven year-old daughter is ridiculous, and as for her turning out to be a terrorist... it's just not a good story. It felt a chore to read; it didn't flow. I think this might be the first bad review I've ever written on Amazon and I am more shocked that it is one of Roth's books that is the reason.

Revolutionary Road
Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars do not do this great novel justice, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Revolutionary Road (Paperback)
This is by far the best book I've read this year, and I read a lot of books! It is a well woven story and the characters and setting are highly believable. I actually read this in the same month as Updike's 'Rabbit At Rest' and two Bukowski novels, so to put it ahead of those should tell you what a great read this is. Enjoy!

White Zip up Front Nurse Costume Fancydress
White Zip up Front Nurse Costume Fancydress
Offered by SHOPY
Price: 8.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy as hell!!, 6 Nov 2012
This item is so sexy that i actually bought two of them for my partner - I don't think I need say anymore, really!

Rabbit at Rest
Rabbit at Rest
by John Updike

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent though exhaustive read, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rabbit at Rest (Hardcover)
This is a monster of a book. I have read all the Rabbit books and this is by far the longest and most thorough. The action focuses upon his heart problems and the way that family is being destroyed by his son't drug use; all set to the backdrop of 1980s political and cultural changes. The book is a classic - it really doesn't matter what I think of it. If you love Updike books you'll love this. If I were nitpicking then two things: firstly, it's overly long in places. Secondly, I just couldn't see his son's wife having sex with him - a lot of suspension of belief is needed for that bit, to be fair!

Women's Channel Set World's Most Sparkly Lab Diamonds Ring. 24k Gold Electroplated. Outstanding Quality Eternity Band.
Offered by Ah! Jewellery
Price: 45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price!, 2 Nov 2012
I bought this as a little gift for my girlfriend and she really loved it. It's really nice looking and, though slender, it is durable. Cheap at twice the price!

The Maldives: Kingdom of a Thousand Isles (Odyssey Guides)
The Maldives: Kingdom of a Thousand Isles (Odyssey Guides)
by Andrew Forbes
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 2 Nov 2012
This is a really good book on the Maldives. It is not a holiday guide, but rather a history of the island with information about the culture and various atolls. It was very useful, though not a book to carry around perhaps.

Made In America
Made In America
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute quality - so good I bought it twice!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
I love this book! I have owned a copy for several years and just bought another one which wasn't as dog-eared. There is so much information on America here and by the time you've read it all you'll be an authority on all things stateside. You just cannot go wrong with Bryson!

Ham On Rye
Ham On Rye
by Charles Bukowski
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Ham On Rye (Paperback)
Firstly I really cannot understand people who write bad reviews about what are obviously quality books - they must be sad and frustrated failures. You really need to just buy this book and enjoy every page of it. It's a fairly straight-forward read, easier on the eye than both Updike and Roth's prose of similar themes. I enjoyed the book and like the brutal honesty of the central character. And again, who really cares if it's Bukowski or Chanski? The bottom line is that it is a quick and enjoyable read and well worth a look!

Hemingway: His Life and Work
Hemingway: His Life and Work
by Kenneth S. Lynn
Price: 8.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and detailed, 21 Oct 2012
This is a meaty and in-depth biography of the great man. It is generally held to be the definitive biography of Hemingway and it certainly will not disappoint. The sections are detailed and cross-reference nicely with his writing. Unlike Hemingway's own writing this is certainly not a light read!

Forever Delayed (Limited Edition)
Forever Delayed (Limited Edition)
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough best of package, 21 Oct 2012
I have never been a fan of Manic Street Preachers to be honest. That said, as a guitar player I can appreciate their melodies and music. This appears to be a good value greatest hits package, although I expect they would be mortified to realise that they were at that stage of their careers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8