Profile for K. Allen > Reviews

Narrow  Stairs
Narrow Stairs
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, but I still prefer Plans, 21 July 2008
This review is from: Narrow Stairs (Audio CD)
I love this album, but for me even though I think it contains some of their finest work todate, I can't help but prefer Plans which to me was as near perfect as an album can get!

You can tell that the band are moving in a new, exciting direction with this album, and whilst in the main it works, the intro on I will possess your heart for me is just far too long and repetitive.

However, there are some to soon become classics such as Grapevine Fires and Your New Twin Sized Bed. I think the lyrics are achingly beautiful, and can be related to by anyone who's experienced love and loss.

I would highly recommend this album, but I would also say if you have not heard their Plans album, treat yourself to that too.

Terry Fox: His Story (Revised)
Terry Fox: His Story (Revised)
by Leslie Scrivener

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspirational story, 9 Nov. 2007
I watched a film made about Terry Fox's too short life. I think the term hero can often be overused/misused but not in this case. He is an inspiration to us all.

This book tells the story of his marathon of Hope (to run across Canada with one false leg - lost to cancer - to raise money for cancer.

This book allows you to get to know Terry Fox, and really leaves you with a sense of sadness (that this amazing young man having his life cut short by cancer) and inspiration at his determination to succeed in his quest to raise enough money to cure cancer as he said "Somewhere the hurting must stop." He was a true hero, and I wish there were more out there like him.

I recommend this book 100% - you'll be hooked, and so gripping, you'll want to read it immediately from cover to cover.

The Photo Album
The Photo Album
Offered by musicMagpie

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed at dull album, 23 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Photo Album (Audio CD)
I bought Plans - which is a totally amazing album, but have to say The Photo Album is a huge disappointment after hearing Plans.

There is one real gem on there, Movie script ending, but the rest of the songs I would have to discribe as bland, background music....not offensive, but all the same boring.

I was really hoping after reading the reviews on here, that it would be in the same league as Plans, but I was sadly disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 3:11 AM BST

Under The Blacklight
Under The Blacklight
Offered by Bridge_Records

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed at first, but its slowly winning me over..., 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Under The Blacklight (Audio CD)
When I first heard Money Maker, I was sooo disappointed, but however still excited about their new album coming out.

I have to say comparing it to their other albums was a mistake, though unavoidable. Yep is a change of direction muscially for the band, but its as another reviewer summed it up 'the dumbing down of the lyrics' that was the hardest part for me to swallow about their new work. I love listening to the lyrics in previous Rilo songs.

I went to see Rilo last night in Nottingham and have to say, if this had been a live recorded album, it would have worked much better. They are a fantastic band to see live and the songs seemed 10 times better live, than on this album.

However, saying all that this album has grown on me alot this week. Though I mourn the loss of the witting, clever and downright genius lyrics of the their previous albums, and for that reason I cant give it a 5/5!

One Chance
One Chance
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Good on him!, 15 July 2007
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
I too am surprised at some of the comments aimed at Paul Potts. Im more interested in his voice, which I think is truly special. The man didnt expect to be releasing a cd when he entered Britain's Got Talent. I wish him all the best and hope he has a long career ahead of him.

Rabbit Fur Coat
Rabbit Fur Coat
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.....the best album Ive heard in ages!!!, 1 July 2007
This review is from: Rabbit Fur Coat (Audio CD)
I love this album soooo much! Jenny Lewis's voice is truly amazing, she could sing anything, including addresses from the phone book, and it would sound fantastic. Add to the mix the Watson Twins voices and Im in heaven!

The songs themselves are sheer class, and the lyrics are witty, dry and very clever...

I recommend this album, you wont be disappointed.

More Adventurous
More Adventurous
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better the more I hear it!!!, 27 May 2007
This review is from: More Adventurous (Audio CD)
Firstly Jenny Lewis's voice is just amazing...she could make any song sound good and worth listening too. I love The Postal Service and thats how I first discovered Jenny Lewis (her album Rabbit Fur Coat is truly sheer class) and bought this cd without hearing any of the songs from it. I have to say, the first time I played it, I wasnt overly impressed - there were a couple of songs...does he love you, portions for foxes which leap out at you and are fantastic songs....However, after a few more plays Im totally in love this album and have ordered the other two Rilo Kiley cds.

This album is good, but it wasnt an instant love thing for me, it grew on me. Its a mixed bag, with something for everyone. Definitely worth a listen.