Profile for Mr. A. R. Castor > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. R. Castor

Mr. A. R. Castor (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pretty Little Liars - Season 4 (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD] [2014]
Pretty Little Liars - Season 4 (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Troian Bellisario

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Addictive - It's Like Scooby Doo With Beautiful Women!, 25 Jun 2014
I actually got into watching Pretty Little Liars by watching The Lying Game first (which I thought was excellent). I saw Pretty Little Liars floating about on the internet so I thought I'd have a look at the first couple of episodes and found it extremely addictive from the off.

It's a very hard program to stop watching. It's definitely aiming for the 14-24 girl demographic but its success has far exceeded just females in that age group. Why would guys not want to watch an addictive show with beautiful girls in it?!

If I had one grumble about PLL it would be that the story seems to bring in characters and then they just disappear from the program with no explanation and the show definitely leaves itself with far too many loose ends to tie up.

I would personally disagree with season 4 being the best. It must be very hard for the writers to keep thinking of new ways to keep the show alive, especially as it has been signed up for another 2 seasons. Personally I thought seasons 1 and 2 were the best (but this is quite common with a lot of TV shows that go past seasons 4-5). However, my favourite episode is definitely the Halloween train episode which I think is season 3 episode 13. Absolutely superb.

So, aside from the often confusing and complicated plotlines, Pretty Little Liars is a show that should have been picked up by a major TV station in the UK (just like the first 8 seasons of 24 and also Entourage). It seems like UK TV companies buy a lot of rubbish from the States but overlook the really good ones. This show has the largest social media following of any show in history.

Season 5 seems pretty good so far but it's only on episode 3.

Absolutely worth starting with season 1 (Amazon have it at a good price too), but I imagine that most people who are reading this review already have the first 3.

Season 4 is a little confusing at times but often just watching back some of the episodes again will make sense of it a bit more!

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Graphics But Gameplay Is Too Repetitive, 7 Jan 2014
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I managed to grab a new copy of Ryse for £39 which is of course quite good. I had already seen the 4/10 review on Gamespot and the 6.5/10 review on IGN but am aware that if the game is not Call Of Duty, Gamespot often mark low.

I've not come on here to rubbish the game. I think everybody knows by now that it's a game with superb graphics but tedious hack n slash mechanics from start to finish (I played about 2 hours, and the gameplay just bored the life out of me). If you enjoyed Dead Rising and Lollypop Chainsaw, then you will adore this game.

The cutscenes and graphics in general are pretty breathtaking, but when playing it I was thinking about how impressed I was with the launch titles for the Xbox 360 in 2005 - Kameo, Saints Row, Condemned, Dead Rising 1 etc and then thought about how games like GTA 5 and Tomb Raider really squeezed the last bit of power from the 360.

I think this game will do well as a "classic" in due time and I genuinely think a £20 price tag justifies the gameplay.

I also think that next gen console owners won't truly be impressed by a game for at least another year, by which time the developers will have really tapped into the power of both PS4 and Xbox One. However, Titanfall and Watch Dogs may prove me wrong before the summer!

Avril Lavigne
Avril Lavigne

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album - Took A Few Listens Though!, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Avril Lavigne (Audio CD)
Like many people have already written on here, this album seems to take a few playthroughs to grow on you.

Where I differ from most reviews on here is on Goodbye Lullaby - I think it's such an amazing album and has been in slot 5 of my car CD changer since Easter 2011 (which is impressive by my standards!)

At first I really thought Avril had dropped a huge clanger with this album, but it certainly grows on you and the diversity of tracks, while at first seem to make the album come across as rather jumbled, actually end up making it more enjoyable.

Give You What You Like (track 6) is completely mesmerising, and possibly the best song she has ever written. It's as close to perfect from Avril as I will ever hear. It certainly has similarities to I'm With You - both are very haunting by nature and also very brilliant.

It seems, by reading other reviews, that people have finally accepted that Avril is no longer 17, and cannot stay 17 and produce albums such as Let Go for the rest of her life. Ok, Lullaby might have been a little on the serious side but it had some really beautiful songs on it. This album really is a mix of all 4 previous albums.

It's been a great year for album releases. This is a must buy if you're remotely interested in Avril Lavigne.

Ten [Deluxe Edition]
Ten [Deluxe Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Album but where is 'Life Got Cold?', 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Ten [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
Like them or loathe them, Girls Aloud have been making solid hits ever since they were formed on Popstars The Rivals.

I'm baffled as to why my personal favourite, Life Got Cold, is missing, considering it reached number 3 in the UK charts and was their 3rd release, behind Sound Of The Underground and No Good Advice.

I think one of the great strengths of this band was their ability to cover songs. They definitely did a stellar job reworking I Think We're Alone Now, Jump and I'll Stand By You.

Actually, looking at the track list, I Think We're Alone Now, and another cover, See The Day, are not on there. Strange, considering there are some tracks on the first CD that didn't do as well in the charts.

The Lying Game - Season 1 [DVD]
The Lying Game - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alexandra Chando

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly, a Great Series!, 1 Nov 2012
After finishing 8 brilliant seasons of the series 24, I was at a bit of a loss as to what could keep me as engrossed and absorbed.
I remember first seeing an advert for The Lying Game during some Channel 5 adverts and thought I'd give it a look.
What a great series. It definitely got me over my '24 blues'. It came as a refreshing surprise (although I'm not comparing it with 24!). It's one of those series that leaves you dangling at the end of every episode.
Looking forward to season 2 early 2013.

Just a note ... I decided to watch Pretty Little Liars off the back of how much I enjoyed The Lying Game and after 3 seasons and 13 episodes, I would recommend Pretty Little Liars as well as The Lying Game - both excellent.

It's baffling how TV stations show so much rubbish yet not one major station picked up the rights to these 2 shows.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 7:22 PM GMT

Heaven
Heaven
Offered by SourceMediaUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca Should Have A Career Similar To Norah Jones, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I knew, as a taxi driver, that Heaven would be a great CD to have in my collection. I've only listened to the album (fully) once, and it's exactly how I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing.

I always thought there was a touch of Randy Crawford in Rebecca's voice, and thought the perfect song choice for her on the X Factor would be One Day I'll Fly Away.

I agree totally with the other reviewers about the benefits of not winning the show. Look at Matt Cardle - of course his debut album and single would top the charts, but I've yet to hear any other singles released into the charts, or maybe they just didn't sell.

Norah Jones is the artist I would compare Rebecca to. More for the reason that Norah rarely has hit singles - she is an album artist, and earns an absolute fortune. Rebecca's niche singing style has a rare trait these days in the music industry - longevity.

It seems as though she has blossomed into the artist that she was destined to be, and I'm sure that there will be as many people loving her style as there will be saying that her music all sounds the same. That's the best thing about 'marmite' artists ...... the people that love Rebecca's style and voice will always buy her music and see her at intimate venues.

Russell Hobbs 17975 Power Cyclonic Pets Vacuum Cleaner for Homes with Pets
Russell Hobbs 17975 Power Cyclonic Pets Vacuum Cleaner for Homes with Pets

1.0 out of 5 stars Same as the other reviews. Works only once!, 17 Oct 2011
I bought this for my mother as she has a few cats. We were both impressed with the vaccum on it's "first go" - very powerful, but since then it has had no suction at all.
I would have tried for a refund but I think I left it too long (or found out about the problem too late).

My mother bought a red Miele hoover. We had one for 2 years and although expensive, they are by far the best out there, and very powerful.

Cyclone Live Full HD1080p Media Player Adaptor
Cyclone Live Full HD1080p Media Player Adaptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Plays All Downloaded HD Films!, 17 Oct 2011
I had the original Cyclone 1080p media player which played all MP4 HD files as well as 90% of MKV HD files. This is more like their version 2.
With the original player I found that some HD rips I had downloaded had no sound, but upon changing the audio output from HDMI to RAW on the remote, the sound came out of my amplifier via the 5.1 fibre optic. The Version 2 seems to manage to squeeze the sound aswell as the picture through the HDMI.
I had about 10-15 films that wouldn't play on my Version 1 but they all play on this player. The Pixar films look terrific - just like a Bluray.
I prefer to buy the Cyclone separately with a Western Digital 1.5tb Hard drive. HDMI cable included with the Cyclone.
The remote control (as with all Cyclones) is very user-friendly.
I haven't tried updating the firmware because I'm not that technically minded.

I now have all my films on my hard drive and they play on my TV via the Cyclone box being able to read an MKV or an MP4 file and I can only say that my experience with these boxes is excellent.

F1 2011 (Xbox 360)
F1 2011 (Xbox 360)
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars I Have To Say I feel A Little Disappointed., 25 Sep 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F1 2011 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been eagerly awaiting F1 2011 for a long time and unlike many people who reviewed F1 2010, I really enjoyed last years.

This reminds me of the problems I had with Formula 1 on my good old PS1 - F1 '97 wasn't graphically the best F1 game ever, but the feeling of speed, and the knowledge that you've put a great lap together were brilliant. With F1 '98 and '99 the graphics were better but so much of the fast gameplay was gone. I feel the same with F1 2011. I wished I hadn't used my online pass because I realised I would be playing the 2010 version, and now I will have to take a bit of a loss on this one when I sell it (which will be within 2 weeks - I'm giving 2 weeks to decide).

I enjoy the "yellow sheen" that Codemasters used for Dirt, F1 2010 and Grid. It was authentic. Infitinty Ward COD's use the same sepia-shading for added effect. F1 2011 is blindingly colourful, reminiscant of a Super Mario game. It all feels less realistic for me.

I immediately turned off the juvenile "3D racing line" - who thought of that?

I've been an F1 fan since I was 7 (34 years) and I'm definitely not a DRS fan as the overtakes are done with no defense but I don't think DRS translates well into the game either.

Overall I am completely disappointed with F1 2011. Maybe it's because last years game was new territory, being the first proper HD F1 game (excluding F1 Championship on the PS3). This game, for me, is too bright, too gimmicky.

I've played F1 2010 to death and after 3 days I can't see myself putting F1 2011 back into my 360. I downloaded Resident Evil 4 HD on Friday and I've played that for 5 hours, and played F1 for 2 hours. That tells me everything.

Rent the game first, and if you buy it, don't use your online pass until you have raced a few times.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 5:58 PM BST

The Vampire Diaries - Season 2 [DVD] [2011]
The Vampire Diaries - Season 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Nina Dobrev

5.0 out of 5 stars Can You Think Of A Better Series On TV?, 14 Jun 2011
Hello,

Many of you out there might be a little like me - a vampire convert. I avoided the Twilight saga like the plague, thinking vampire-based programs were probably childish and far too fictional.

Until I got hooked on True Blood, and I didn't think it got any better than that..

Until I watched seasons 1 and 2 of The Vampire Diaries. Season 1 is excellent...far from the "serialisation of Twilight" that I had imagined it to be. Season 2 completely blows the doors off season 1. The penultimate episode (21) of season 2 is one of the best single episodes of any TV series I have ever seen. Utterly brilliant.

I have read up alot on the Vampire Diaries and the good news is that the writers say they can go in any direction with the script, based on the novels, which is great news. Season 3 will start on the brilliant CW Channel late September '11.

I am currently watching season 2 all over again and am also looking forward to True Blood season 4 which starts 26th June '11 in the USA, but I have to say that the Vampire Diaries just edges it in the vampire stakes (excuse the pun), but I would recommend both for very different reasons.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5