Profile for jkennedy > Reviews

My Vintage Summer
My Vintage Summer
by Jane Elmor

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: My Vintage Summer (Paperback)
I have just finished reading My Vintage Summer and agree with all the great reviews that have already been posted. It is simply my favourite book of all time so far! The characters and descriptions were so believable and involving I feel as though I have been living in this novel, not just reading it!

Strangely although I didnt see the twist coming as such, I did feel a bit disappointed about the way that things appeared to be heading at a certain point and it looked as though this was just going to be another predictable story after all. I thought it would be much better if ........ happened (I dont want to give anything away!) and to my surprise it actually did and I still didnt see it coming!

I loved this book and think it would make a brilliant film but Jane Elmor has to be the Director, no one else should be trusted do it justice!

Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Upto 17 inch Laptops - Chocolate/Tourmaline
Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Upto 17 inch Laptops - Chocolate/Tourmaline

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent price, 25 Jan 2010
Very nice laptop bag. Arrived quickly in excellent condition. Forgot to add this to my laptop order from Dell and found it on Amazon brand new at a much cheaper price than buying direct from Dell - would recommend

Out of my Depth
Out of my Depth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, shame about the ending, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Out of my Depth (Paperback)
I too thought there must be some pages missing at the end and also wonder why on earth the stalker/painting story was included as it was completely irrelevant and added nothing to the book. I actually felt quite annoyed by the way this "story" was concluded. It felt like the author couldnt think of a proper ending but couldnt be bothered to take out the previous references to it. If she had it wouldnt have made a scrap of difference to the "plot" but all the way through I was wondering what the people involved had to do with the dark secret that was going to come out and was left feeling confused as to what was the point in including it.

However despite the above, I really enjoyed the main story and the characters were very believable, especially Amanda, and even the characters of the children were very well written. It did feel as though I was reading about real people and situations and with a better ending this would be one of my favourite Emily Barr books. I would still recommend it though and agree with a previous reviewer that it would make a brilliant film.

Atlantic Shift
Atlantic Shift

2.0 out of 5 stars Did Emily Barr really write this?, 27 Nov 2009
This review is from: Atlantic Shift (Paperback)
I totally agree with the reviewers who asked the question "did Emily Barr write this one?" I too bought it because I had really enjoyed her other novels but this one was dreadful.

I found the characters totally unbelievable and the "plot" ludicrous.

The plot hinges on the "terrible secret" that Evie has been hiding from the world for 15 years. Are we really supposed to believe that anyone in the mid-nineties would be even slightly worried about such a "secret" getting out let alone mortified to the extent she didnt even tell her husband of 8 years?

When the perpetrator of the poison pen letters is revealed, the reason given for the motivation for sending the letters is even more preposterous.

I dont want to give away the "plot" in case anyone still wants to read this nonsense but as other reviewers have said - please don't be put off reading other Emily Barr novels - I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them so far except this one.

Chasing Dean: Surfing America's Hurricane States
Chasing Dean: Surfing America's Hurricane States
by Tom Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one!, 27 Nov 2009
Loved Riding the Magic Carpet and was really looking forward to reading this.

To begin with you are reading a book but before long you have jumped into the Betty Ford and the two of you are off on a journey together.

I love Tom's writing style and Chasing Dean lived up to expectations after "Riding". Dr Marc came across as very annoying and someone I wouldnt like if I met him - and I think I would have preferred someone else to have joined us on the trip! Bizarrely I became almost jealous of the amount of space Tom's thoughts about Marc took up in the book finding him less interesting than Tom himself. However this doesnt mean that the writing isnt interesting - the descriptions of places and people they meet along the way are never dull.

I agree with all the reviews above - the surf writing is incredible and even non-surfers can experience a little of the exhilaration of the waves through reading this and the New Orleans chapter is the best description of the events I have read to date.

A brilliant read - highly recommended.

Where are we going next Tom? I can't wait!

The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
by Mark Mann

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not the book I expected, 17 Aug 2009
Having read the outline of the book I expected it to be a shocking but hilarious read. The description of Mark arriving at the airport was really funny but I hadnt bargained on this early page being the highlight. I agree with the reviewer who doubted whether the book would have been written had it not been for the events at the end. This is its only redeeming feature as until I had finished the book I also couldnt see why Mark Mann had written it. All the "educational" stuff in italics seemed to me to be padding as actually nothing really interesting happened to anyone, unless you think taking drugs, throwing up, etc is interesting. If this is a true story then I understand why he needed to write it but I am inclined to think the third person on the trip was probably a geeky mate rather than a girlfriend. The character of Melissa is so unbelievable - a bit of fantasy on Mark's part, perhaps?!

Encounter in St Ives, and other stories of Cornwall
Encounter in St Ives, and other stories of Cornwall
by Kenneth Moss

3.0 out of 5 stars quirky little stories, 30 July 2009
I only ordered this book because I liked the cover and am slightly obsessed with all things st ives anyway. The quirky little stories were a surprise as they are all very unusual and each one was different to the the others even though they were all written by the same person, Kenneth Moss, of whom I know nothing. These stories would make a great TV series along the lines of "tales of the unexpected". I hope Mr Moss is still writing (the book was written in 1980) as he has a great talent for writing short stories that paint pictures in the mind and stay with the reader for a long time.

Cuban Heels
Cuban Heels

4.0 out of 5 stars compelling read, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Cuban Heels (Paperback)
I love Emily Barr - she makes me feel that you dont have to be a gap year 20 year old student to have adventures - there are still adventures to be had whatever your age and situation. Libby, married with a baby, thought she didnt want adventure but it turned out to be the best thing for her

If you are looking for a good read set against the backdrop of iconic cities - Brighton and Havana both fulfill this criteria for me - you will enjoy this.

All the characters are recognisable and I can imagine sitting round the bean bags at my local mother and baby group listening to someone telling this story and completely believing it happened.

Some will love this, some won,t. I did - if you are a mum, havent travelled and wished you had, I think you will love this too.

And if, like me, you dream of chucking in your job and travelling the world, but dont have the courage to do it, reading Emily's books will take you there for a while and might just inspire you to go for it.

Chasing Dreams
Chasing Dreams
by Aaron Jennings

4.0 out of 5 stars Endless Summer, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Chasing Dreams (Paperback)
I don't know how old Aaron Jennings is but this book felt as though he was writing his experiences as they happened in real time. The wide-eyed astonishment he feels on arriving in Newquay was exactly how I felt when I first visited and thought I had been transported to the West Coast of America, so different was it from my home town. His descriptions of places and people are so vivid that you immediately see them as real people and real places and yet he manages to do this without the necessity to go into great detail - and he conveys his own feelings without the usual self-indulgent ramblings that sometimes feature in this sort of book. By the end you really feel you know Matt and the others and that you have actually travelled to the places described. Many other books of this type have left me feeling that the author has worked too hard at writing it, often going into unnecessarily long and tedious detail. This one felt as though the author had reached the point in his journey where the book left off, sat down on the beach on his last night and written the whole thing before setting off on the next stage of his journey the next day. Aaron Jennings is a real talent - I would like to think that he is enjoying an endless summer of surfing right now and hope his next book is as likeable and full of youthful joy as this one. Highly recommended.

30: A Sense of Adventure and No Sense of Direction
30: A Sense of Adventure and No Sense of Direction
by Mark Callaghan

1.0 out of 5 stars never judge a book by its cover, 3 Jun 2009
I was drawn to this book by its cover (bad mistake). It looked as though it was going to be an interesting (it wasnt) and quirky (it wasnt) look at travel (no) and I expected a lot of funny anecdotes (disappointed there). I could have written this book (so could you) its basically just a diary of a mostly (completely) uneventful trip - I walked up the path, paid my entrance fee, came out, went home. Got on a bus, lost my ticket, found it. Met someone, didnt like them, left (you get the idea)......

Probably the worst "travel" book I have ever read (and I've read lots) - oh and did I mention those incredibly annoying brackets brackets brackets (more brackets) ............... not recommended (unless you like brackets)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2009 1:21 PM BST