Profile for J. Rolfe > Reviews

Content by J. Rolfe

J. Rolfe (UK)

Maxsima - NP-95 NP95 1800mAh Compatible Battery for Fujifilm  FinePix  X100, F30, F31fd, FNP-95.
Offered by Cameramarket UK

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 8 April 2013
This is ok as an emergency/back up battery, but certainly not good enough for a main battery replacement. Works ok, but will die very suddenly from about 50% onwards

Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner (6400dpi, 3.4 Opt Density, USB 2.0)
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner (6400dpi, 3.4 Opt Density, USB 2.0)
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant scanner, 8 April 2013
If you read all the reviews on the web about film scanners, people say...oh you must have a dedicated film scanner... well for the money this costs, it does a great job of both 35mm and 120 film scans. Easily good enough for prints up to 24". In fact it is so good I sold a dedicated 35mm film scanner (not a cheap one either) as it was not getting used. The Epson software is great to use too.

Sanyo MQN04 HR-3UTGA Battery Pack
Sanyo MQN04 HR-3UTGA Battery Pack
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 8 April 2013
Brilliant batteries. Charger is a little slow to full charge, but you just need to remember to have enough batteries and leave them to charge overnight.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful monitor, 8 April 2013
This only arrived today and it is sitting side by side to a 24" iMac with the same resolution... the Dell monitor is a lot better. This maybe because the mac is getting a little older now, but the quality of the U2412M is fabulous. Nice even whites and blacks across the monitor, great build quality and easy to set up with a Win8 laptop as a second monitor. The standard colour profile was a bit wonky, but I colour calibrated it and it is spot on for photo editing etc. I don't know how this would compare to a higher price monitor, but I know what I like and I definitely like this.

HTC SENSATION CUSTOM MADE SHOCKSOCK SPORTS ARMBAND / CASE / COVER / HOLDER - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 April 2013
This is a great armband phone cover. The phones touch screen works through the flexible PVC cover on the armband and the phone is held firmly in place. I use mine with an older HTC One and the only minor modification I had to make was to punch a new hole for the headphone cable at the other end of the top enclosure flap. Perhaps an idea for the makers to punch holes either end of the flap? I seem to recall previous comments about the velcro strap being tight on bigger arms... the solution is simple, don't feed the strap through both loops, just use the outer loop... all works well and it is plenty big enough for larger arms and can be small enough to wear around the lower forearm.

John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop
John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop
by John Blakemore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for this interested in tradition black & white, 20 May 2011
A lovely book, and full of great detail about image composition and processing back in the chemistry days. Still very relevant in the digital age though as while the techniques may be different, the principles and application are the same.

Matin M-6399 Waterproof Raincover for Digital SLR
Matin M-6399 Waterproof Raincover for Digital SLR

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 21 Mar 2011
This rain cover works well, and is exactly as described. As it is padded, it can be a touch cumbersome and does take up more than it's fair share of space in the camera bag. You do need to make sure you have the viewfinder hole of the cover attached to the camera or you find yourself trying to get the plastic screen in place as it moves around otherwise.

Navitech Black Hard Eva Nylon Protective Tough Carry Case for Tomtom GO LIVE 1005, GO LIVE 1005
Offered by Navitech (VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 31 Dec 2009
Great little case... does exactly what it says on the package. Nice and cheap too. Brilliant.

Pioneer A-209R Stereo Amplifier - Black
Pioneer A-209R Stereo Amplifier - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Amp, 31 Dec 2009
I bought this amplifier just before Xmas, and I have to say that I think it is a great bit of kit. I am no HiFi buff but I know what I like the sound of. This amp sounds great with my speakers and seems to be a really well made and solid unit. It was very easy to set up, but I did notice that I had to strip the speaker wires to connect them up as the standard jack plugs did not fit. (not sure if that is normal or not as my last amp was about 20 years old... so things may have moved on since then!!)

TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav
TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 9 Dec 2009
I bought the 750 after having a much cheaper Garmin sat nav for about 3 years. I was looking for a significant upgrade... and I have to say I am still undecided whether or not to return the unit.

So far:

1. I had to wait over a month from the estimated delivery date for the unit to arrive (may not be TT's fault, maybe Amazon)

2. Following the first upgrade from Tom Tom Home, all of the speed cameras are showing incorrect speeds and 3 weeks later TT cannot find a fix. Apparently one of the software updates can cause this in some devices!

3. Got the chance to download a new map (good) but once the download had started to install, and my original map had been deleted from the unit, the system decided to tell me there was not enough memory for the new map. I then had nearly 2 hours on the phone to TT support, who did fix it after a complete re-format of the device.

4. Tom Tom home advices that there is an update to the operating system to be downloaded... guess what, not enough memory to update the device.

Basically, with 2Gb, the device is always struggling for memory. If it had 4Gb as advertised, there would be no problem.

Finally, I am fed up with all the false camera alerts, especially on motorways. When roadworks have moved away some time ago, I still get a ton of alerts... let me tell you, after a few hundred miles this is very flipping annoying. Plus letting the general public notify Tom Tom of speed cameras is a mistake - it would appear that most people cannot tell a speed camera from a doughnut!!

I have yet to see the Live service actually make a significant difference.

On the plus side, the actual navigation is spot on, no complaints at all about that.

Hope this helps some you decide on your purchase. Given my experience with Garmin, I am very close to sending this unit back and getting a cheap, but rock solid Garmin unit.

Update 31/12/09....

I still have no fix for the incorrect speeds showing on the unit, this is still in hand with Tom Tom.

However, the Live service has proved to be very worthwhile, especially on a long or important journey. The information seems very accurate and the re-routing works well.

It is a pity about the incorrect speeds showing on the speed cameras as this is the only really disappointing thing about this device. But given the usefulness of the Live service and the accuracy of the navigation, I have decided to keep the 750 and hope Tom Tom come up with a fix soon.

Hope this helps.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2010 10:13 PM BST