Profile for Kezzworld > Reviews

Content by Kezzworld

Kezzworld "Music Guru" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel - Live At The Isle Of Wight [DVD]
Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel - Live At The Isle Of Wight [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix
Offered by alentertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Level, 7 Oct. 2012
Not only is the one of the best Hendrix concerts on film, it is also one of the greatest music dvd's of all time. To think that this was 42 years ago is simply mindboggling. Hendrix, rather than his guitar, is on fire during this performance - superbly backed by Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox. The great Murray Lerner captures the backstage, pre-gig atmosphere as Hendrix and band take the stage and once they begin to play, you will be treated to Hendrix channeling licks from the Gods. Superbly shot, vibrant colours and excellent sound make this ambrosia for any muso's soul. Kids, forget Mumford & Sons and all that pap, you can ditch them all for Jimi and this performance in particular. You will never spend a few quid on anything better than this. Soul music at its very best - for this is surely where it is coming from.

The Ideal Crash
The Ideal Crash

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Album, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Ideal Crash (Audio CD)
Well, incredibly it's been 12 years since I bought this album - and, despite regular playing - it still manages to confound me - in that it improves with every listen. How a band can be this complex and beautiful simultaneously confounds me each time I think about it. Tom Barman is a genius and this album is even better than that. Buy it or be an also ran.

Feels Good to Me
Feels Good to Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels Best To Me, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Feels Good to Me (Audio CD)
You will find several commentaries here regarding the content of this wonderful album. I do not intend to repeat them. I just want to say that the world is a poorer place for not realising the musical jewels that live beneath the mainstream, radio-friendly mush that masquerades as music to the legions of toe tapping, point-missers busily going about the furtherance of their ignorance. This is one of those jewels: equalled by some, bettered by none. Whatever your musical taste, provided you have just some, I cannot recommend this album highly enough. Buy it and feed upon it forever.

Thin Air
Thin Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since Over, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Thin Air (Audio CD)
All I want to say here is that those who have only given this 4 stars need to think again. Quite simply, this is Hammill's best since Over and is in the same league as all of his/VDG greats. This really is essential listening for people with brains (I think!).

A Trick Of The Tail
A Trick Of The Tail

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know of an album that tops this., 21 Nov. 2009
This review is from: A Trick Of The Tail (Audio CD)
From Wind and Wuthering backwards, I love Genesis. They have produced some of the finest moments of the Brit prog movement, if not some of the finest moments ever to grace the history of recorded music - but they are not my favourite band. However, after listening to this album regularly for more than 30 years, it is about time that I came out and nailed my colours to the mast: quite simply, this is the best album by any band in the world, ever. Over the years I grew to hate so many things about the poppier side of Genesis and saw them evolve into an ever more pompous troupe of upper crust back-biters and ego trippers. Such a shame - but never mind - the only thing that would better this would be a fully reformed band with Gabriel at the helm - and that just ain't gonna happen.

Musically ToTT is closer to Selling England than The Lamb - but is far more cohesive than both, with rich textures throughout and a magnificent vocal performance from the debutante chanteuse Collins. Hackett and Banks produce sublime and complimentary soundscapes that never drift towards the realms of the ridiculous, whilst Banks and Collins deliver driving, yet detailed rhythms that colour and punctuate to perfection.

Best tracks? Ripples is perhaps the most beautiful song ever cut to disc and all of the rest are nearly as good. I saw Steve Hackett live last Monday and his band played Los Endos: it overwhelmed me to the point of near death.

My only criticism relates to the production decision to fade out too many wonderful songs that surely could have driven on to momentous conclusion. Oh well, I've lived with that for over 30 years - and yet pray that I can have another 30 in which to enjoy this magnificent work.

Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Brit Prog's Finest, 21 May 2008
This review is from: Second Album (Audio CD)
Curved Air - a corner of my heart will always be reserved for this band - they headlined the first gig I went to in 1972 (Birmingham Town Hall) and of course gave me (and the rest of the world's pubescent males) Sonja Kristina!

In my opinion this 2nd album is far and away their most important offering, serving up an eclectic mix of finest prog to pop to classical (a propsicle?) - all of which bursts with the unique moods and atmosphere created by Kristina's unique voicing, Monkman's musical genius and Way's .... well way I suppose. In fact I will declare that this is prog Britain at its very best.

A couple of special mentions: Young Mother and Piece of Mind - possibly two of the finest prog tracks ever recorded. The first, an incredible dreamscape dominated by Monkman's superbly programmed synth (a track that sounds as fresh and exciting to me today as it did back in 1971) - the second a prog symphony that exercises every member of the band throughout its seamless movements. Again Monkman is nothing short of massive throughout and the band as a whole serve up an awesome achievement that, like classical music, is likely to remain listenable forever.

The CD doesn't reproduce like the old vinyl but at least it's clean and easy to fish out and put on!

Highly recommended to anyone of any age that takes their music seriously.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2011 10:04 AM GMT

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live
Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

5.0 out of 5 stars How am I going to break this to my friends?, 14 Nov. 2007
Now then, I must be going soft. After a lifetime (so far) of prog/rock/jazz and heavy classical consumption, the only time I would go near country was on a trip to the seaside.

For sure I've dabbled at the edge of the countryside, sometimes toying with getting an Emmylou Harris album - but never getting round to it (I have loved her Evangeline track on the Band's Last Waltz album for what seems like a hundred years or more) - not really knowing where to start. Back tracking is always tricky. Then I saw the film Walk the Line and marvelled at the vocal talents of Reese Witherspoon (yes, Reese Witherspoon) singing the country style of June Carter-Cash. I loved the way that spoon girl sang - she stirred me for sure! I also love the sound of a decent banjo - oft plucked beautiful on a few Sufjan Stevens tracks I know.

Then a month or so back I saw Leanne Rimes performing on TV from a few years ago - she looked and sounded like an angel and she was singing country. I was entranced but worried about getting old or becoming a trucker or something. Then a couple of weeks ago I saw and heard Ms Krauss performing and talking with Robert Plant about their new venture. Being a bit of a fan of the Plant down the years, I was intrigued by what he had to say about AK and how he had been taken in by her amazing voice. So I clicked a few buttons on Amazon.com, found this live double album with probably the dullest title and cover I've ever clapped eyes on and bought it on spec - for next to nothing.

Now hear me Lord. I can't stop playing it. It's been donkey's years since I've been knocked out by an album in this way. Tomorrow I shall trail on down to the courthouse an' pled ma guilt fer crymes against my ears. I denied `em and I'm willin' ta pay and I ain't gonna tell no-one I'm proud of it neither.

Seriously, the voices, particularly Ms Krauss's, the musicianship, the songs, the tightness of the band and the impeccable recording quality are astonishing. I don't know the difference between bluegrass and any other colour of turf, but I do know a 10 out of 5 album when I hear one - and this is one. All praise be to the good lord music for answering yet another prayer I never uttered. My only problem now is how am I going to break this to my friends?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2015 9:02 PM GMT

Offered by kevin26821

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Brit Prog's Finest, 3 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Second Album (Audio CD)

Highly recommended to anyone of any age that takes their music seriously.

Learn To Sing Like A Star
Learn To Sing Like A Star
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars La Perla underwear wrapped in a JC Penny coat., 1 Mar. 2007
Kristin Hersh has written and performed some of the finest songs ever penned; personal, pained, keenly observed, yet always played so pure and simple - amplifying her razor flavoured soul. There are at least a thousand moments of notes and words across Sunny Border Blue, Hips`n Makers and The Grotto that bear perpetual testimony to this little known fact. And always, she avoids any leaning towards those mainstream, homogenous, twin album warblers that fall from the sky like leaves in the last gasp of autumn.

It is thus a surprise to learn that Learn to Sing Like a Star - (and thankfully she will always be way better than to need to do that) - is disappointing. It is neither here nor there. Musically, it aspires to nothing and achieves little more - caught somewhere between a tired tide and a maelstrom of mediocrity. Correction: disappointing by KH's standards - most female singer songwriters would give their eye teeth (if only they knew what they were) for just one career song as good as any of those on the albums mentioned above. At least this is KH and her incredibly original voice is as caustically unique as ever. So what's wrong? Missing are those astonishingly uncommercial melodies that take that treasured time to blossom beautiful in the mind and live on forever. Yet the words are sometimes there - Peggy Lee, Vertigo, Wild Vanilla all become La Perla underwear wrapped up in a JC Penny coat. Missing too is any sense of directional consistency, inspired craft or emotional atmosphere - stand-out features that have perhaps made me too expectant. There seems to be irony around - the title and the digipak - the cover pics and the artwork; the track called Christian Hearse. Maybe someone said something. Ironically, they usually did.

All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone
All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God, 28 Feb. 2007
It's been a long wait - I got it just today and, after just 4 plays, it must be said that those who like this band will like this and those who love this band will love this band more than they ever did before. Why? Well as we might expect, they've not gone all Coldplay or Kid A on us, the trademark exploratory guitar beauty is all there - as ever - but what we have more of (occasionally) is a more cohesive and complimentary drum rhythm - helping to define those EITS powerhouse moments with even more rock force determination - coupled to some sparing but blissful piano that just adds enough to lift EITS up onto the next rung. Bringing the piano into these immense soundscapes is the perfect compliment for a heart seeking a home and a head seeking perfection. God this is one beautiful band.

After 2:10 of a gloriously elated fanfare to Track 1, the birth and death of a baby, the track melts into a short but strong celebratory cascade of chords, before throttling back into a brief melancholic interlude - then driving forward into overdriven elation. Suddenly the mood changes - uncertainty enters and the death is quick - but its spirit drifts seamlessly on into track 2, welcome, ghosts. It is here, about 1:30 in where you will hear what I mean by the more inventive use of drumming and rhythm - occasionally Bonhamesque in proportion and always wonderfully captured and produced. And on we roll into track 3, opening like a dream, like a field of aural flowers, like a star that glints and glistens and glows and grows before exploding before your very ears; I don't like comparing - but it's like the best of Sigur Ros only better - then it gets seriously better and better still and it always remains unmistakably EITS - and it just goes on getting better and better for over 12 minutes, 12 hours and 12 years until the piano intro of track 4 takes over and your heart just wants to give up - as EITS hit a new high - rolling waves of ecstatic pain all over the carcass of landscape guitars and then the hi-hat - the bass, the beat, the beauty, the AAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!

That's it - let there be no more light, no more distractions, no more thoughts and no more pain. Just let there be chords. Track 6 will kill you and you will be happy.

I regain consciousness and I realise that I'm going to see them do this live in just over a month. Oh my God, Oh my God.

Page: 1 | 2