Profile for BigStig > Reviews

Winging It Again !! Florida to Alaska and Back
Winging It Again !! Florida to Alaska and Back
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Same again but better!, 3 April 2013
I loved the last book "Winging it" but felt it lacked pictures and the ride could have been more descriptive. This hits the spot perfectly. More pictures meant I could engage with the ride better and actually see what they were describing. They may never do another trip this epic but my God what a final big ride!

Winging It
Winging It
Price: 6.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A great winter read for touring bikers, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Winging It (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because I have just bought a classic 1984 GL1200 Aspencade and wanted a warts and all rundown on the thing.

From the off both Bill and Marguerite had my respect for just diving in the deep end and buying a wing when they had absolutely minimum experience of life on two wheels. Bill is an ex Marine pilot and has a special, methodical mindset that no doubt helped immensely at getting to know the bike. The trip narration tends to follow a set formula and can get quite repetitive but it does at least give you chance to look up the route on google map or similar. What made the book for me was the obvious joy that comes from sharing a motorcycle ride with great company. They don't gloss over the bad weather,roads or moods like so many travel books do. At each stop I knew exactly what all parties were feeling. I've been there and done that myself and ultimately that's what you remember about a trip, the elation of getting away, the scenery and the food.

I couldn't put this down and I'm looking forward to reading the second installment. It only misses out on five stars because I'd have loved some more photos and perhaps a bit of variation on how the routes etc are described.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
Price: 4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars My whole education was lies!, 21 Mar 2013
If you're a fortysomething like me then you need this book in your life. No matter what you thought was correct and a set in concrete "fact" you'll find most of it blown to dust by this.

Its practically a life's education in one book. Utter brilliance.

Clear View Rain Away - Windscreen Visor Rain Repellent 150ml
Clear View Rain Away - Windscreen Visor Rain Repellent 150ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh!, 21 Mar 2013
I have used genuine rain X before. This is no where near as good. I used it on a motorcycle touring screen and it make absolutely bugger all difference, infact I have had better results using beeswax furniture polish.

Either save your money or buy genuine rain x.

VALVE EXTENSION 90 DEGREE GOLD
VALVE EXTENSION 90 DEGREE GOLD
Offered by BidsForBikes
Price: 4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hassle saver, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: VALVE EXTENSION 90 DEGREE GOLD
This tiny thing is an absolute godsend. Short of having 90 deg valves fitted at the next tyre change this is the next best thing. I have very little clearance to get a tyre inflator on my valve, this cures the problem. Its sturdy and small enough to hide away somewhere on the bike.

Worth every penny.

Next Time, We're Flying Somewhere Sunny
Next Time, We're Flying Somewhere Sunny
Price: 1.56

5.0 out of 5 stars More good stuff, 21 Mar 2013
I had to buy this after reading Steve's "adventures" around Scotland in a classic VW van. This is more of the same but on a grander scale. If you're thinking, even remotely, of buying a camper van then read these books first. It cuts straight through the rose tinted, brochure shlep and gives you a proper insight into sharing a VERY small space with another human. Oh...And a dog too, which probably saved the mental sanity of the both of them.

I hope he fulfills the thought of doing a trip by motorcycle next as this really would be Mr Grumpy on tour! A brilliant read and after reading this you will never complain about a basic B&B again, at least you don't have to piss in a bucket!

Mountains, Lochs and Lonely Spots
Mountains, Lochs and Lonely Spots
Price: 1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars The honest side of campervan life, 27 Feb 2013
I decided to buy this after reading the short preview. Living in a campervan with a dog is much the same as camping by motorcycle, bugger all room for stuff and generally not welcome everywhere.

I loved the authors way of cutting through the tourist brochures rose tinted view and actually saying in print what most of us are thinking when we arrive at these places.

I love the idea of a campervan holiday but the harsh reality is that it becomes nothing more than a mobile prison cell when the weather is bad. Infact scratch that. At least a cell has a toilet, decent heating and three square a day. Has it put me off the idea?

Not one bit. A great read with some genuine funny observations and comments.

ChargerCity Strap on 360 Swivel Adjustment Compact Camera Tripod Mount for ATV Motorcycle Bicycle Bike Handle Bar with Tripod 1/4 20 Screw Thread (Compatible with any Shape Bar range from .75" to 1.50" inches)
Offered by ChargerCity
Price: 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but cheerful, 24 Feb 2013
I bought this to mount a lightweight Kodak SD camcorder thingiemebob to my motorcycle. On opening the package I thought it looked a little flimsy but for the price what did I expect?

In use it has proved to be a great little mount, its pull through band to attach it to any tubular item works well and at least saves you the hassle of having to unbolt a mount to move it. Once tightened up it provides a steady base for the camera and has given some great results. Just be gentle when tightening up the camera mounts and you should be fine. I'd love to see a machined aluminium version as a more permanent mount but in the meantime this will do fine.

Kodak PlayFull ZE1 Full HD 1080P, Image Stabilisation with Built-in USB Arm - Purple/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain and superb quality, 20 Feb 2013
I bought this as my sister purchased one and I was very impressed by the crispness of the video's she took on holiday. My filming usually consists of filming motorcycle touring rides and such like, not a great environment for a camera.

I have to say that the Kodak has excelled all my expectations, once mounted to the bike its just a case of switching it on and pressing record. The image stability, refresh rate and crispness were excellent. I still can't believe how rich and "deep" the films look. I ran a go pro for a while and this easily compares and indeed, excels it for colour depth and quality at a mere fraction of the price.

Off the bike its discreet and easy to use both to film video and take stills, although I tend to use a dedicated stills camera for that. I'm very happy with the product, the only niggle is the built in USB is a bit of a fiddle on my computer as it only has USB's in the rear. On a laptop it would not be a problem. Image downloading is very easy.

Is That You Angus?
Is That You Angus?
Price: 1.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet masterpiece of real life biking, 6 Feb 2013
Possibly the best real life account of a typical fun loving British Biker. From page one I was genuinely hooked, it rolled along nicely and I bonded with the author in just a few short pages. If you ride a motorcycle, attend the odd bike rally or insist on sharing the road with obscure mates and unique characters then this is for you. I recognized my own traits and those of my friends all too easily. I stayed awake all night to read it through while I had a few days off work and it was all consuming. I really can't do the book justice on here other than to say buy it! Biker or just interested in bikes, this gives an honest and often very funny account of bike rallies, camping trips and tales of mistaken identity.

As a result of reading this I joined MAG, swapped my bike for one that suited my intended trips and now I can't wait for some proper adventures of my own.

My greatest regret is that the author died soon after writing this and that is a tragedy. I yearned for more and if this was anything to go by, Fergus had a few more books in him. The last page being the perfect ending.

As from now, anytime I attend a rally or find myself with a tent bungeed to the bike, I will raise a glass to Fergus. Or was it Angus?

Page: 1 | 2