Profile for Neil George > Reviews

Content by Neil George

Neil George (Highworth, UK)

The Dune eBook Collection
The Dune eBook Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as many errors as everyone makes out, but more pages than advertised!, 20 May 2014
I was nervous buying this given the number of comments about transcription errors. Yes, there are mistakes, but I don't find them as annoying as lots of people seem to! What I can't get my head round is the advertised number of pages as 800 - add up all 6 books individually and you get something more like 2800 - is this simply a typing error in the description? The stories themselves remain brilliant whether in print or on a Kindle. 5 stars for the stories, minus 1 star for sloppy (but not too annoying) presentation.

UPDATE: Book 3 has a LOT more typing errors. I had only read the first two at the time of this review.

FURTHER UPDATE: Now just starting the final book in the series (Chapterhouse: Dune). Weirdly, the font has suddenly become fixed. In the first 81% of the ebook, you can change font to your heart's content (not that I ever do this, but I have just gone back and checked) but the final book, although still part of the same ebook, takes this privilege away from you. Strange!

Dissident Gardens
Dissident Gardens

3.0 out of 5 stars Story lost in clever writing sometimes?, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dissident Gardens (Kindle Edition)
Having enjoyed other books by Mr Lethem, I was looking forward to this one. And I did enjoy it - it is very well written. I only gave it 3 stars because it seemed a lot if the time that it was about the clever writing more than it was about the story - it felt a bit like showing off some of the time.

Intempo IDS-01B Compact 2.0 Speaker For iPod, MP3 And Other Audio Devices - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds ok for the price, but noisy, 13 Jan 2010
I guess you get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much for this. The sound is ok for general listening, I think - you can't expect it to sound like it's coming out of your hi-fi speakers. But it's a bit annoying that, with an iPod Classic plugged in, you can hear the hard disk spinning up when it loads new songs into memory. I use it when working in my home office and it's ok, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it when other people could hear it!

MY-Link Leather Case for iPod Classic 80GB,120GB, and the New 160GB iPod Classic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too big!, 18 Nov 2008
Just got my new 120GB iPod Classic and ordered this case to go with it. But you could almost get 2 iPods in the case, so I won't be using it. Good job it was cheap. Oh, and it also was missing the connector to allow the belt clip to be attached to the case - no issue for me as I don't use the belt clip, but a bit of black mark against the product.

Me and You and Everyone We Know [DVD] (2005)
Me and You and Everyone We Know [DVD] (2005)
Dvd ~ John Hawkes

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing (in a bad way), but with some good bits, 30 May 2008
There were bits of this film that I liked. I especaially liked the "performance art" with the shoes. However, I have to say I spent the whole film worrying about the damage that was being done to the child actors being asked to take part in such adult themes - most especially the youngest. Some films are disturbing in a way that makes you think. This was just disturbing in a way that was wrong.

The Nines [DVD]
The Nines [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...very interesting and then rather tame..., 17 May 2008
This review is from: The Nines [DVD] (DVD)
I guess there must be something about this film because this is the first time I've written a review on here after several years of being an Amazon DVD rental person. I'm a great fan of Lost on TV and, for a long time, I was enjoying this film for the same reasons I enjoy Lost. There's lots here that makes this film a bit different. I loved all the cross-references and the gradual build of clues and then sideways movements of plot. There's quite a bit here for the film buff to show off with as well, as they do seem to reference a lot of other films or actors.

It was all going so well.

Now, no spoilers, but personally I was very let down by the ending. I just felt it took the easy way out and I wanted more. I know it wasn't the "easy way out" as it was the story all along, but I did feel disappointed after enjoying it all so much until then. Hence the three stars.

Worth a watch and it will give you something to talk about with your friends for a while afterwards, so that's got to make it worthwhile. But I just hope Lost doesn't end in the same kind of way.