Profile for CakeMonster > Reviews

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

4.0 out of 5 stars Not going to spoil it..., 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
I loved this book when I read it the first time and used to tell people "I can't tell you anything about it but you have to read it". I bought it this time for a book club and read it knowing the plot. I wouldn't guarantee it is going to be a timeless classic like Dickens or Shakespeare, but in the present moment, it made me think about the fortunate circumstances in my life and how arbitrary they really are.

If you are looking for a criticism, the "please"/"pleased" thing doesn't actually work and I was disappointed when I realised this. You'll understand when you read it.

The City of Violence - 2 Disc Collector's Edition [DVD]
The City of Violence - 2 Disc Collector's Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeong Du-hong
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars That shopping precinct scene..., 29 Dec. 2012
makes it all worthwhile. Anyone who is intimidated by large groups of teenagers probably shouldn't watch it though.

The film starts very slowly, but does have a fight at a funeral. The chap playing the bad guy is clearly having a magnificent time. Bits of the plot don't quite add up, but it's called City of Violence, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Lots of men (and one woman) fight each other in a variety of beautifully choreographed ways using weapons and tables etc.

You should also be warned, the polo neck jumper appears a lot more than you might expect in this film.

No Blood No Tears [2002] [DVD]
No Blood No Tears [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Hye-Young
Offered by The World Cinema Store

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have listened..., 29 Dec. 2012
To the other reviews. The comparisons to Guy Ritchie are obvious as it follows a similar plot format. I suppose they would say it was aiming at realism and the women could be seen to come out tops, but they get punched in the face, mostly by men, quite a lot along the way. Sorry, that's not fair, one of them gets punched in the stomach a fair bit too. On the plus side, Jung Doo Hong does his eyebrow thing quite a lot, but he's hardly in it. Also, there is plenty in the film for people who like seeing men get punched in the face too!

Easy Kanji (Passport books)
Easy Kanji (Passport books)
by Fujihiko Kaneda

4.0 out of 5 stars Kanji for beginners, 16 Jun. 2012
I really struggle remembering Kanji and bought this to supplement my past learning and other text books. I would agree that you probably need to know hirigana and katakana to get the most out of it, but it explains things that my Japanese teachers had forgotten to go over.

I'd agree that an index might be useful too, but it is quite a small book and I've found working through it really helpful with my poor, poor memory for other languages.

Discover
Discover

4.0 out of 5 stars They have aged better than I have..., 31 May 2011
This review is from: Discover (Audio CD)
I had this album on vinyl when I was about 15 and I bought it in an independent record shop where the guy behind the counter took great delight in sneering at it and me. I didn't care, I wore enough make up to render myself unrecognisable.

At the time I thought the songs were catchy and quite fun. They sounded a lot more pop than their image led you to believe. Listening to it now, it does sound like it was made in the 80's and their vocals are something you either tend to love or hate. Maybe it's because my image was as bad as theirs in those days, because the songs are predictable and they aren't going to shake anyone's philosophical world, but I still really enjoy listening to this album. Do they say that "a little bit of heartache never hurt anyone"?

The Chrysalids
The Chrysalids
by John Wyndham

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is all that., 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Chrysalids (Paperback)
I mostly agree with what all the other reviewers say, except it is not Wyndham's nightmare vision that makes his work so powerful, but the accuracy with which he pins down our self destructive nature.

This book is essentially about a boy growing up on a world where difference is despised with violent and murderous consequences. He lives in a time of fear and oppression. A condition which sadly is not a futuristic nightmare for certain people, but a harsh reality. That is what makes it such an engrossing read.

If This Is a Man / The Truce
If This Is a Man / The Truce
by Primo Levi

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read it., 23 July 2010
Somehow he manages to make the unthinkable bearable. He manages to talk about the lowest points of humanity without bringing despair. He gives a name and a life to so many who became nameless and lifeless. Primo Levi never portrays himself as a victim or a hero. Hard work but worth every minute.

The Wrong People
The Wrong People

5.0 out of 5 stars Still amazing, 20 April 2010
This review is from: The Wrong People (Audio CD)
I bought this album on cassette when I was about 12. 2 or 3 years ago it was stretched beyond recognition and I actually mourned it.

Most people only vaguely remember "Brilliant Mind", which is such a shame, because all of the songs are really powerful in different ways. When it arrived I was nervous that it wouldn't stand the test of time. I literally led down and played the whole thing from beginning to end without moving. It is the only album I don't skip tracks on, ever. Yes, you can still tell it was made in the 80s but there is something utterly timeless there too. If I had to burn my entire music collection and only keep one, I wouldn't even think about it, there's no way I'm losing it twice.

Scorpio Righting
Scorpio Righting

2.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia is never that good, 3 April 2010
This review is from: Scorpio Righting (Audio CD)
I really, really liked "Last Exit to Garageland" and I was feeling a bit nostalgic when I ordered this. I played it the first time and felt intense disappointment. It's catchy and much better produced but something just doesn't click for me. Maybe I was expecting too much or I'm getting too old or something. The lyrics on the first song annoyed me and I didn't like the working of "Beelines to Heaven" on the free CD. And yet even typing this, I feel like I'm betraying an old friend because they did see me through university.

Ultra Drowning
Ultra Drowning
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it's just nostalgia, 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Ultra Drowning (Audio CD)
but I'm really glad I own this. It's shockingly noisy and arty. There are times when it veers close to the pretentious path, but I wouldn't be without it for anything. I wish I was 15 again, because my parents would have hated it.

Page: 1 | 2