Profile for Jon Long > Reviews

Jon Long

The Libertines
The Libertines

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, if a little sad., 17 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Libertines (Audio CD)
What a great album. A must have for anyone whose a fan of indie rock. However at first i was dissapointed. I thought it couldn't match up to "up the bracket" but then I realised it's not worse, just different.
"Up the bracket" was a great band playing great songs mostly about english lifestyles and the good ship albion. The songs are catchy and upbeat where as "the Libertines" tells the story of the bands demise. "can't stand me now" kicks you off in supreme style, it's one of ther best, "last post on the bugle" another great, then the songs turn to a more solemn tone and "Music when the lights go out" allmost makes me want to cry. "Arbeit mach frei" is a sharp, snappy, in your face punk song and "What became of the likely lads" ends things nicely along with the beautiful acoustic hidden track "France".
All the songs are great in there own right and spell out the decay of a much loved band. It's ironic something so brilliant can represent something so terrible. Overall, brilliant, if a little sad.

Then And Now (1964-2004)
Then And Now (1964-2004)
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars who knew., 8 July 2005
After a year or so of my friend asuring me that the who are the greatest band of all time, i decided to find out for myself.
Who knew he'd be 100% correct. every song great some more so then others, the greatest being "wont get fooled again" with "who are you?" and "my generation" hot on it's heels.
A must have. I have seen the light and i encourage you to do the same. 10/10

Up the Bracket
Up the Bracket

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving it, 14 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Up the Bracket (Audio CD)
I bought this still on a high from their second album("the Libertines")which i thought was ground breaking. After hearing "up the bracket" i now see that this is the album that broke the ground.
Shambolicly stunning. No filler at all and a must have for all indie rock fans. Some great fast rock songs like the title track, mixed in with some real clash-esq punk tracks like "horror show" and "the boy looked at johny." Allthough there are some other great songs-"the boys in the band" is so damn catchy, as is "the good old days". The beatles like "radio america"(which has a hint of Simon and Garfunkal) and one of my personal faves "time for heroes" which sounds surprisingly like the cure's "boys don't cry."are great to. Hell, they all are but I can't be bothered to list them.
Overall a work of genius that i just can't stop listening to. 5 stars, 10/10, 100%, near perfection. I'm Loving it!