Profile for keemjay > Reviews

Grafix Weird Science Glowing Gunge N Slime Science Set
Grafix Weird Science Glowing Gunge N Slime Science Set
Offered by Carousel Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars dont waste your money, 29 Sep 2014
absolute rubbish. dont waste your money. I really dont think I've ever seen such rubbish. what a way to make money easily..wish I'd thought of it myself!! The only thing of use was the glo liquid..but there is one tiny bottle of it..once you've used it in one experiment there is none left to use in the other 2 experiments that need it! To refer to cornflour and water as radioactive slime is really pushing the boundaries of the trades descriptions act!! very disappointing!

The Big What Now Book of Learning Styles: A Fresh and Demystifying Approach
The Big What Now Book of Learning Styles: A Fresh and Demystifying Approach
by Carol Barnier

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, 24 Mar 2014
As a home educator to and 8 and 6 yr old I am always interested in books about learning. My 8 yr old has been struggling a bit and I've been looking for new ideas for ways to teach her as the usual methods havent been working. This book has give lots of 'out of the box' ideas for ways to offer ideas and concepts..some of them have had me thinking 'duh, of course, WHY didnt I think of that!" I now have lots of new ideas and am refreshingly inspired!

Making Science Fun
Making Science Fun
Offered by Thelearningplace

5.0 out of 5 stars great set!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Making Science Fun (Toy)
We bought this for our daughter who is 7 and she loves it! Its a simple set which is robust and easy to use..she has spent ages tinkering with it and making it do various things..she is thrilled when she discovers something new that it can do and spends a lot of time figuring out why it works some ways and not others. My husband has spent some time doing things with her and introducing some of the right language but she has learned the most while fiddling with it on her won. She is home educated and this is just the sort of set to buy if you want your kids to learn a bit independently and explore things for themselves..

Playmobil 5149 E-Rangers Headquarters
Playmobil 5149 E-Rangers Headquarters
Offered by gameshop_fuerth

3.0 out of 5 stars not Playmobils best..., 22 Feb 2014
My 2 kids (7 and 6) have been talking about this toy for months so we got it for them for Christmas. Unfortunately the solar panel didnt work so it had to go back..this was all sorted out no problem and we recived a new one which works fine but it was a bit of a pain as, if you're a parent of playmobil addicts, you'll know how long it takes to put this stuff together..doing it for the 2nd time nearly pushed me to the brink!! Not sure we should have bothered because the solar panel only works if you're under 3 million watt light bulbs (not LED which is a shame in our house as we have 90% LED lights) or in bright dazzling direct sunlight..not usually a condition my children prefer to play in.
Anyway, being a bit of a playmobil expert/nerd (been a nanny for many years and now have my own two) I think this product lets the playmobil brand down. there are many bits which don't sit very tightly and so fall off (the control desk and chair being a right pain) Conversely there are many hinged pieces/arms where the hinges are so darn tight that they wont hinge and hence the piece just snaps out of its holding place..bit annoying and the kids find it frustrating. The sliding door at the bottom of the clear inner tower seems to get jammed a lot as do the main doors which open and shot using a knob. All small things but having played with playmobil for years this is the first toy where I've come across defective design. It ticks all the boxes for the kids and they have played with it endlessly along with their other Future Planet sets but as the parent who spends the £££ I'm disappointed..

Here Comes Science
Here Comes Science

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD we've had for ages!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Here Comes Science (Audio CD)
I home educate my 2 children (8 and 6) and I have found my eldest learns much better if things are sung..so I've been hunting around for educational stuff in song..this CD was recommended by several other home educators so thought I'd try it. Within 24 hrs we couldn't get RoyGBiv out of our heads and by the end of a week we knew pretty much all of the songs..they are so fun and quirky and catchy. The kids wanted it in the house/the car/in their rooms..they couldnt get enough of it!
The DVD which comes with it is also brilliant as it puts more meaning into the songs with animations.

An absolute winner! I wish the band would do some more 'eduactional' type material..Geography/Maths/literacy..I see they also do a number and alphabet one but w're past thse so looking for something meatier..

The Folk of the Faraway Tree
The Folk of the Faraway Tree
by Enid Blyton

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed with illustrations, 5 July 2012
My children adored The Enchanted Wood which i fortunately had kept from my childhood but evidently the others had gone by the wayside so i needed to purchase new ones. I knew the text had been re worded which was irritating but we could live it but the illustrations in this version are simply appalling..immature line scribbles...some of the pictures my childen and I couldnt even work out what they were meant to be! I've just purchased the Wishing Chair books published by Egmont and they have the original illustrations in..which are lovely. Egmont also publish the Faraway Tree books so i presume they also would have the original drawings and if i were to buy again i would go for those and not the ones i bought..i went for the cheaper price..mistake..you get what you pay for...

Too Much, Too Soon?: Early Learning and the Erosion of Childhood (Early Years)
Too Much, Too Soon?: Early Learning and the Erosion of Childhood (Early Years)
by Richard House

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 28 May 2012
I have never written a review on a book before but i felt moved to write one as the book is SUCH an important read for anyone working with children. I am nursery nurse trained and have my own children whom have decided to home educate as i just cannot abide the system we have in this country of insisting children start school when they are practically babies, and now, worse still, shoving a curriculum down their tender little throats. I wanted to read what other professionals thought, and am thrilled to see there are so many many people who are still trying to protect the youngest members of our society from being forced to grow up too early, and from being damaged by the incessant asessement processes. Thank Goodness!
Just read it!!