Profile for Leon Derczynski > Reviews

Content by Leon Derczynski

Leon Derczynski

Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but take the charger with you!, 12 Dec 2011
Lovely little printer, and it's really amazing that it works in such a small space and so quickly (about one minute a print). It's simple to set up, thankfully, and worked with every non-iPhone that I tried it with; it's a shame that Apple are so non-standard about their Bluetooth photos. The battery life is really quite short, so take the charger out with you! You get the odd streak, but that just means the printer needs a clean, and doing this on the run is very easy. All the instructions are given in the manual. It's really a very simple and very cheap device, and even the media are value for money.

The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style and Readability
by Brandon Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thesis help, 12 Dec 2011
Halfway through writing my PhD thesis, I bought this. I hoped that it would help with expository writing, and was not disappointed. The book primarily focuses not on grammar but on rhetorical structure, which is precisely what I wanted. It provides a list of simple principles, followed by grammatical rules for good style. Each principle is small and simple enough for the reader to understand quickly and easily. Exercises are given in some chapters, with sample answers in the back.

After absorbing some of the themes in the Little Red Writing Book, I was astounded at the number of faults in my earlier writing. The explicit principles it lists gave me confidence in revising my work and the results are a clear improvement upon the originals.