Profile for Melvis > Reviews

The Harrow & the Harvest
The Harrow & the Harvest
Price: 14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 5 July 2011
I'll keep it simple. I've always found Gillian Welch to be an artist to watch because, on a few tracks from each album she's released, there will be a moment of absolute arresting beauty that can't be ignored. Even on the tracks I've not been in love with, I have to admire her sensibility and intelligence as a songwriter. I do tend to find her a bit of a "hard sell" to newcomers to her sound on occasions - I guess that sometimes the stripped-back quality of her music that I love can alienate.

This is such a polished, lovely album. I've played it so many times in the last week since I got hold of it, and I'm someone who's partially lost the habit of listening to an album in its entirety since the shuffle laziness/pickiness kicked in. I don't feel the need to pick tracks - it works beautifully, seamlessly together, and I've not been able to honestly say that before (even with Soul Journey, which is Gillian Welch with the corners smoothed down). At the same time as being muscially smoother, The Harrow & The Harvest is lyrically more honest, brave and personal than anything I've heard from her before, which fits beautifully with the intricate arrangements.

It just works so well. If you've enjoyed any of her previous albums, I doubt you'll be disappointed with this offering. One to really savour.