Profile for katy thomas > Reviews

Content by katy thomas

katy thomas (london)

Access Restricted (The Access Series Book 2)
Access Restricted (The Access Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant follow up - my book group loving it, 23 Jan 2013
Lily and Tristan - I was waiting with great anticipation for this follow up. Read it in one besotted session. Loved every moment, so much so that I recommended both Access books to my kindle book group and we are all enthralled. Much discussion about the nature of attraction. I wish there was a category for literary erotic fiction because this book is so well written it deserves to considered for it's literary merit as well as it's passionate erotica. Loved the way Lily and Tristan's relationship developed in Access Restricted and can't wait for the third in the series - there will be a third, I hope!

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
by Stephen Grosz

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, Jane Austen,Tolstoy and Hello magazine rolled into one.....what a treat, 6 Jan 2013
I loved this book - reading these short stories ( based on sessions between patients and psychoanalyst) is like lifting the curtains on the lives of your friends and neighbours and, yes, even yourself... To this end I have been posting this book through the doors of aforementioned friends in the hope that we can pepper our walks and talks with some of the insights offered by author Stephen Grosz. Have we over-praised our children? Have we invented fantasy escapes from our everyday lives? Does change scare us? And if, like me, you suspect that psychoanalysis might be a bit of a magician's art, you will be won over by the clarity and humility of the writing and the fascinating insights into how psychoanalysts actually work. The great joy of these highly engaging stories is that, unlike reading fiction where you might think, do I really believe a character would have acted like that, or, is this plot really believable, you know these stories are true: how satisfying it is to be presented with a character in crisis only to discover exactly what precipitated the crisis and how resolution might - or might not - be achieved; such a joy! If I was pressed, I would say this book is a meeting of Jane Austen, Tolstoy and Hello magazine. What a treat.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 3:31 PM GMT

Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History
Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History
by David Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars paranoid histories, 7 May 2009
Forensically researched, elegantly written and laugh out loud funny, this is the book I had been waiting for to parry the many conspiracy theories expounded by otherwise rational, sensible friends and colleagues. When it comes out in paperback I shall keep it in my handbag for speedy reference.
At last I understand the origins of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion but was shocked to discover just how influential they were and they remain. This book really is an eye opener.The way the stories of the conspiracies unfold is compelling but I was also intrigued by Aaronovitch's search for an explanation for why seemingly sane people are so ready to believe in conspiracies when there are much simpler, more obvious explanations readily available. Yes, there's the search for a narrative that makes sense of an otherwise random world, but I did enjoy his description of conspiracy theories as "history for losers," mainly men, though he does balance his scorn with a patient almost sympathetic quest to understand the sources of the conspiracists' need to believe in global plots.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2010 7:47 PM GMT