Profile for Philip Morzov > Reviews

Content by Philip Morzov

Philip Morzov "morzov" (england)

iPhone 3GS Touch Screen (Digitizer) + Mid Frame Assembly + Home Button Assembly
iPhone 3GS Touch Screen (Digitizer) + Mid Frame Assembly + Home Button Assembly
Offered by Quantum-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product and service but check fitting procedure before you start!, 13 Dec. 2015
I bought one of these because I had broken one of the cables attached to my original glass and the screen swipe didn't work any more. Arrived promptly with a selection of tools. What I didn't realise is that only two cables are attached to the product I bought and the third (which goes at right angles and press connects under the camera is not attached to the glass but is attached to the LCD which should still be in your existing phone and will need to be removed before proceeding).

I emailed the seller and although I had got things wrong he promptly agreed to refund me which is very fair.

I've now installed this and it works perfectly. Be aware though it is quite a fiddly job and it's well worth looking at the various guides available online before attempting it.

Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice
Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice
by Matthew Syed

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not as good as is made out., 2 May 2011
I like some of the ideas expressed in this book, although they are hardly original.

However, in an New York Times article about the book "Outliers" which is heavily referred to in Bounce , Steven Pinker wrote, "The reasoning in 'Outliers,' which consists of cherry-picked anecdotes, post-hoc sophistry and false dichotomies, had me gnawing on my Kindle."

I think the same observations could also be made about the reasoning in Bounce. The author only appears to quote examples which support his own reasoning and never really seems to give serious consideration or analysis to the many counter arguments that exist - surely a glaring omission in any thesis.

For that reason I found myself doubting the veracity of some of what was said. I think also some more up to date and relevant examples of how purposeful practice pays off could have been given one notable one being John Richardson's golf book "Dream On".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 9:07 PM BST

Nine Dragons
Nine Dragons
by Michael Connelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Nine Dragons - more like 9 lives!, 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Nine Dragons (Hardcover)
This is essentially a pretty good novel and as other reviewers have said, although not Connelly's best effort certainly better than most of the competition and well worth the read.

What I found disappointing,and what prompted the review title was the part of the book which deals with Bosch's trip to Hong Kong. This is so beset with unlikely events and frankly pretty poor dialogue that it reads more like something from a Dan Browne novel, which is surprising from someone as accomplished a writer as this.