Profile for A. Martin > Reviews

Content by A. Martin

A. Martin "A Lady" (Bedale, North Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet Book 1)
The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of a trilogy, it is interesting to consider ..., 14 Dec 2014
One of a trilogy, it is interesting to consider the problems of a middle class spinster coping with the need to organise and protect a family business, in the face of accepted practice. Unlike a married working class woman, who might in certain circumstances, continue to run a business, most women of the middling sort were forced to step back for male relatives or to sell up. The hero is particularly prejudiced by his assumptions, and it takes a while to warm to him, but since we have already met him in previous books, at least we know he can relax!

Floyd's American Pie
Floyd's American Pie
by Keith Floyd

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad to get a copy of this book especially with ..., 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Floyd's American Pie (Paperback)
So glad to get a copy of this book especially with so many of the episode appearing currently on Saturday Kitchen. Floyd is always fun and I have enjoyed his travels and recipes over the years. On my kitchen book shelf for the future.

The Secret Pearl
The Secret Pearl
by Mary Balogh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Alright rather than great, 26 Nov 2014
I was looking forward to reading another book by one of my favourite authors but found this particular novel not up to my expectations. The characters lacked the author's usual insight and thei plot stilted. I am still glad to have read it but not going to be a favourite.

Tom Kerridge's Best Ever Dishes
Tom Kerridge's Best Ever Dishes
by Tom Kerridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived promptly and in good condition. I look forward to trying some of ..., 23 Nov 2014
Book arrived promptly and in good condition. I look forward to trying some of the recipes we have seem on TV. Descriptions etc seem clear enough and not many unusual ingredients.

Mediterranean Landscapes: in Watercolour (Ready to Paint)
Mediterranean Landscapes: in Watercolour (Ready to Paint)
by Geoff Kersey

4.0 out of 5 stars The various exercises look good and the book arrived promptly, 23 Nov 2014
The various exercises look good and the book arrived promptly. The exercises are a bit bigger than I anticipated but all clear and I look forward to trying them.

Learn to Paint Scotland in Watercolour
Learn to Paint Scotland in Watercolour
by John Gifford

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to see the same scene that I have seen ..., 16 Nov 2014
Interesting to see the same scene that I have seen in another watercolour book but with a slightly different perspective and skies. It has already been shared with a friend at our over 60s watercolour class, who may well be getting own copy!

Christmas in The Duke's Arms
Christmas in The Duke's Arms

4.0 out of 5 stars Each story was interesting and like a nice dessert left a enjoyable taste in ones ..., 16 Nov 2014
Each story was interesting and like a nice dessert left a enjoyable taste in ones min. But then, it's a Grace Burrowes!
Looking forward to the next book coming.

What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregor Book 4)
What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregor Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cit and the Lady, 23 Oct 2014
A talented clothes designer with a desperate need to use her talents, Lady Joan has been tricked by a cad and desperately needs a husband to save her from ruin. Mr Dante Hartwell is a lovely new character for Burrowes readers. A cit with integrity and a kind heart he and Joan must both learn to trust and we enjoy the journey. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Help the Aged!, 9 Oct 2014
It arrived promptly and does what it is supposed to. I am grateful for the lit screen since at 70 I find my eyesight tires in the evening. Does the business.

Hadrian Lord of Hope (The Lonely Lords Book 12)
Hadrian Lord of Hope (The Lonely Lords Book 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, as usual, 9 Sep 2014
Character you already know and so it is interesting to find out what 'happens next'.
It is also brave to explain the need for Hadrian to take on the responsibility for the family estates in order to free his elder brother to follow his own heart. We have waited for some time to find out what happened to Avis Potmaine, sister of Vim (Sophie Windham's husband) and Alexandra Hazlet (Ethan Gray's wife)... Characters in other Grace Borrows novels.
Good read, as usual.