Profile for Phil On > Reviews

Content by Phil On

Phil On "purpletemple" (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Creative Toys Tip Top Pottery
Creative Toys Tip Top Pottery
Offered by prezzybox

1.0 out of 5 stars It looks nice and we were excited, 21 May 2015
I bought this for my daughter's birthday. It looks nice and we were excited. We watched a 15-20 minute tutorial on youtube and got started. The clay was heavy enough that the wheel (which does not have a lot of power) will not turn once any amount of pressure is put on it. The only thing we were left with was a huge mess to clean up. I wish there was a way to give a negative rating.

The Purple Album
The Purple Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's The Purple Album for ya!, 18 May 2015
This review is from: The Purple Album (Audio CD)
The album is awesome, a different take on Purple's brilliant material. It definitely sounds like WS and not like some dP clone.They didn't try to re-create Paice's groove, or the unbeatable Lord and Blackmore soloing, and went for the heavy, guitar-driven Whitesnake formula. It takes some getting used to it for old Purple fans (like me), but in the end it's a win-win situation! From the high octane Burn, Lady Double Dealer, You Fool No one, to lighter tracks like Sail Away, Holy Man and the magnicient Soldier of Fortune, everything fits nicely together, offers new life, new arrangements to the Purple MKIII/IV back catalogue. I must say I was particuleraly blown away by the power and the emotion put in Mistreated, Lady Luck, Burn & YFNO.
I don't think it could have been done better, taking the core of amazing songs and developping them into brand new anthems. It feels natural, it feels right, it feels like it was done with much pleasure. Better than the originals? No, you could never beat those timeless classics, but this new take is certainly well worth it! Well done Mr Coverdale & Co.

Tokyo Dome In Concert
Tokyo Dome In Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars Live as Hell!, 1 April 2015
This review is from: Tokyo Dome In Concert (Audio CD)
I'm seriously having a blast listening to this album: it's raw, it's muddy,it's frantic, it's exciting, it's Live, Live, LIVE!
The band is absolutely fearless and tight, the energy is captured perfectly and the sound is the one of a rock'n'roll concert! The set list is a killer, not a weak track in sight! Of course nobody and nothing's perfect, and there are many complaints one could have (see other reviews), but I'd be much less enthousiastic if this album had been polished and reworked in the studio. If you can't stand a Live album, then just look the other way.

Squeeze
Squeeze

4.0 out of 5 stars Yule and Paice., 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Squeeze (Audio CD)
As a huge Ian Paice fan, I bought this album years ago on Lp. It's never gonna be as good as Burn or Made In Japan (drumwise), and it's never gonna be as good as a VU album, but like many said in other reviews, keep in mind that this is more of a solo effort from Doug Yule helped by Ian Paice on the drums, and you'll be able to enjoy a good soft rock, laidback early 70's album. Nothing extraordinnary here (neither from Paice nor from Yule), but a fine piece of music anyway, and for Paice fans a rare occasion to hear him outside the Purple family.

FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER
FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of 70's rock., 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER (Audio CD)
Frankenstein Monster is an absolutely stunning album! Thank you Francis for bringing back the spirit of your lost brother Baz (who was once part of Necromandus), and along the spirit of 70's rock. From Black Sabbath to Genesis, Free to Hendrix, and more, it's all there. Brilliantly played, I must say this is the album I've been waiting for from Francis Dunnery since "Eat me in St Louis". This is definitly a guitar-driven album, electric guitar that is. The soloing is amazing, I've been missing it for so long. I've always been a great fan of Dunnery's tapping guitar style...Fabulous!
It has the feel of a power trio, although it also features brilliant arrangements and collaborations. The overall production is quite rough and definitly has an early 70's vibe to it, I guess it could be called retro-rock, but Francis Dunnery is way above the mass of bands and artists producing that type of music (although some others are really good at it too!).

This is frankly a great surprise, as I came to this one after buying the "Whole new world" It Bites box set. I have liked Dunnery's previous solo albums, but there's always been something missing, and I believe it was the 70's spirit and the abuse of the electric guitar!

Thank you Baz, thank you Francis! Amazing album!

Songs Of Innocence
Songs Of Innocence
Offered by Fine Drop

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs of..., 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Songs Of Innocence (Audio CD)
At first, I didn't think this album was anything special. As a matter of fact, this was quite a disappointment for me as I read that the album was a return to their roots, and that frankly, I can't hear anything from their early days in here. I find it hard sometimes to hear the band itself in the production, there's a lot going on, sometimes way too much. The Miracle being a good example of a song that should have been a rocker (given the riff and the subject), and is turned into an over-produced electro-pop affair.

But it's definitly a grower.

And guess what: this album is worth BUYING if only for the second disc, featuring 2 bonus tracks, a great 22 minutes acoustic session (numbers from the album in a more stripped down version), and a couple of alternate versions (actually three).

I almost prefer this bonus disc.

The rest has already been said: more introspective than the previous albums, no immediate hooks, but a lot to discover in the music, the lyrics and the production.

PLECTRUMELECTRUM
PLECTRUMELECTRUM

4.0 out of 5 stars Electric, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: PLECTRUMELECTRUM (Audio CD)
Of the two new Prince's releases, if I had had to chose only one, I would have picked Art Official Age (probably because of the cover that has a 70's feel to it).
How wrong would I have been!
PlectrumElectrum is definitly the more guitar-oriented one-well, of course! It's in the title!. It's the kind of Prince I like. It sounds like good old rock/funk from the 70's and there's some juicy guitar work. As always on a Prince album, there's an odd song or two, but it's mainly a very good album all the way through.
As for the other release (AOA), it's the funk/rap/RnB kind of collage, with odd sounds, low and high pitched voices, which to be honest is my least favourite side of Prince.

So, if like me you prefer the rocking Prince, go for this one!

FILMWORKS XXI :BELLEDE NATURE
FILMWORKS XXI :BELLEDE NATURE

5.0 out of 5 stars Organic., 23 Sept. 2014
A fantastic piece of music from John Zorn. Probably one of his easiest ones, but extremely organic and peaceful. Don't expect any free-jazz or hard core, nor any classical extravaganza, just feel-good ambient (but not lounge!) music.

The Ocean At The End
The Ocean At The End

4.0 out of 5 stars The party goes on., 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Ocean At The End (Audio CD)
The Tea Party are an excellent band with a relatively low profile. I accidentaly tripped on their "Alahambra" ep and was hooked by their mix of rock, middle eastern and goth influences, and to my ears their musical affinities with The Cult.
As for the guitar riffs and licks, they probably find their origin in Zep's HotH or Physical Graffiti. Not a bad thing at all, to say the least.

This album is no different in terms of influences and it's a return to a more classic rock sound than some of their previous efforts (Transmission for ex).
A great example of "mystic" rock in all of its glory.

The Doors, The Cult, Sisters of mercy, The Mission,Zep...If any of those bands are in your good book, so should the Tea Party and this latest effort is good way to start.

Different Shades Of Blue [Ltd. Edition Digibook]
Different Shades Of Blue [Ltd. Edition Digibook]

3.0 out of 5 stars Set him free, Kevin., 23 Sept. 2014
While I like Joe Bonamassa, I'm not a rabid fan either. To be honest I like his hard rock side better, and believe his best job was with BCC.
First, I would like to start with the content of the booklet, which to me is nothing but an exercise in self-indulgence from Kevin Shirley.
I'd like to start there, because I read it before listening to the album, and by reading Shirley's comments what I should have heard is a sublime, mature, extraordinnary piece of music...And clearly it's not.

There's also many comments from Shirley on how he forged Bonamassa into the bluesman he is, on how bad the whole BCC experience was for Joe, etc...Is that really necessary, unless you have an overblown ego or you're unsure of your product?

Ok, the music and Joe...

Frankly when I heard the first track (the very Black Dog-ish Oh Beautiful), I started to believe all the crap said in the booklet: it's a great song, very mature, with an amazing guitar solo and great mature singing. I just love it!
The next track (Love ain't a love song) is a fine track too, and I very much appreciate Joe's reference to Tommy Bolin in the guitar solo.

After that, it's all downhill. It never gets bad, but it never gets great either. It's a display of different shades of blues (yes, just like the title) that never really takes off. I probably would have been fine with it , if it wasn't for all the greatness I was suppose to be witnessing and that never happens (again Shirley's notes). It's not because you add horns (much too much of that!) and some keyboards and some Doo-whap that a song becomes something un-usual.

On the positive side, I'd say that Joe's singing is much stronger than on previous releases, that his guitar playing is quite awesome and that Shirley's production (for once) is pretty good (did he finally found the treble button?), and that all that makes up for all the lack of creativity.

So, all in all it's not a bad album, but it confirms to me that Bonamassa-while being a brilliant guitar player-is not a great composer. He always has a bunch of great tracks per album, but the rest is often just above average, and that the input of this team of composers (incl. Jonathan Cain from Journey) just doesn't do it for me.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say that it's time for Bonamassa to cut off the umbilical cord from Kevin Shirley.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 7:46 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14