Profile for Phil On > Reviews

Content by Phil On

Phil On "purpletemple" (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Transylvanian Tapes
Transylvanian Tapes
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cats!, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Transylvanian Tapes (Audio CD)
I'm usually not a big fan of the rockab genre, and got this mainly because it features Jyrki69 from The 69 eyes, but this album is just amazing! Great guitar playing, steady and experienced rhythm section, and of course the goth/ Elvis/ Astbury/ Sisters of Mercy voice of Jyrki. It's a rather rockin' experience that should please rockabs, goths and hard rock-oriented fans.

Great selection of covers, with as highlights "Sweet Transvetite", "Werewolves of London" "Sunglasses after dark" and "People are Strange", along with superb instrumentals "Necromance for Guitar" and "69 guitars".

The production is absolutely perfect, not too polished, nor too garage.

An absolute winner.

Under The Spell Of Joy
Under The Spell Of Joy
Price: 12.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard blues jammin', 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Under The Spell Of Joy (Audio CD)
It's noisy, it's bluesy, it's proggy. With hints of (old) King Crimson, Blue Cheer, Zep. A lot of wah-wah, jams and a voice that sometimes reminds me of The Mars Volta (although less annoying). What else can I say, among the hundreds of new bands playing retro-rock, some people will like this one over another or vice versa.
At least, Joy doesn't go for the recycling of classic Black Sabbath riffs, and really unleashes its potential in lenghty compositions and that's what caught my attention.

Shutup&jam
Shutup&jam
Price: 11.07

4.0 out of 5 stars It feels good and that's all., 10 July 2014
This review is from: Shutup&jam (Audio CD)
Remember the song "I'm A Predator" from Intensities in 10 cities? Well, that's about the level of poetry you'll get on this album!
Don't get me wrong, this album rocks, but it's a bit weak in the novelty department. Do we care? No!
Do we mind that Ted tells us how good it is to rock, eat and how bad women can be? No! Do we like to hear " I love my BBQ-that's what americans do" or hear "My baby is gone" over and over in a duet with Sammy Hagar? Yes, it's kinda fun!
Is it okay for Ted to re-visit "helter Skelter" or " Goin Down"-like songs...It's all fine.

Shutup&Jam sounds like jams roughly thrown into songs, but it rocks. The playing is great, we get the idea that Ted is happy playing guitar, hunting and blessing the american dream, and that ain't so bad!

this might very well be my album of the summer, but more than likely not of the year. Good fun!

Sun Will Rise Again
Sun Will Rise Again
Price: 43.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Rise again...Indeed, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sun Will Rise Again (Audio CD)
After all these years and all their releases, I keep waiting for the quality of Loudness music to drop, but it's still not the case. Almost every year Loudness comes back with a new album and the energy and passion is the same. Heavy metal (with a thrash metal twist) at its best. Akira Takasaki remains one of the best shredder, but also a very innovative and experimental guitar player. The rest of the band (all original members except the drummer who died a few years ago) is a well-oiled, fearless machine.
At first, I found the sound of the drums a bit bizzare, but realised that it was just a more "natural" sound than all the HM productions. To me this album sounds a bit more "old school heavy metal" than previous albums such as "Eve to dawn" or "King of pain".

Those guys are masters at what they do, and "the sun will rise again" is another proof of that.

Get it while the price is still reasonnable.

Once More Round The Sun
Once More Round The Sun
Price: 7.98

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Déjà-vu" paradigm, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
The first image that came to my mind after listening to this new album was "auto-pilot". The band has delivered some seriously highly inspired albums in the past years, change their ways and approach with a constant evolution. With "Once more...", Mastodon offers a good album of high class metal, extremely well-played, but with all ingredients taken from the their back catalogue.
Some might see it as a confirmation of their talent, I see it as a step backward in the creative department.
Are they running out of ideas, or is this simply a slow-down in their artistic process? Too soon to tell...

In terms of comparaison, I'd say this album is to Mastodon what "Hold your fire" is to "Rush", a good album, but not very exciting, with lots of good ideas but no real sparkle...Something safe.

I'd say that far from being a bad album, "Once More..." just doesn't hold up to the (high) standards of its predecessors.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 3:59 PM BST

Stripped
Stripped
Price: 12.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Key Club Show...Again!, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stripped (Audio CD)
As the previous reviewer said, this is indeed the "Key Club" show already available previously.
On my copy of the Key Club I have two tracks called "Drum solo" & "The Jam", they're not mentionned here but included in the lengthy version of "Falling apart at the seams".
So it is the same show, a good show too, pretty useless if you already own the "Key Club", otherwise a great addition to your collection, especially since this edition features two bonus tracks.

The 2 bonus tracks are from 1991, and they sound pretty good too.

I too, thought it was gonna be an "unplugged" show (because of the title), so yes, I'm pretty dissapointed, mainly because records company really have no shame squeezing the money out of music fans!

Still 3 stars because Cinderella is an awesome band and this is a great show!

Big Trouble
Big Trouble
Price: 11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Big surprise!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Big Trouble (Audio CD)
I saw Stéphane Honde twice on stage opening for Deep Purple with French band "Café Bertrand", and I have to admit that I quite liked it as a support but wasn't gonna go buy their albums.
Being a huge dP fan, I read on some forum that guitarist/ vocalist Steph Honde had hired (o.a.) Don Airey, Vinnie Appice (Dio, Heaven & Hell,...), and Tim Bogert (Vanilla Fudge,...).
That was enough for me to buy this album.

At first I didn't quite get it, it was at the most an average hard rock album. But then I really got into it, and into the "live" and raw feeling of the takes. I realised that Honde was not just a guitar player, but also a very good singer, piano player, composer and could bring the best out of the legendary musicians he used on this album.

For instance, while I like Vinnie Appice, I've Always found him a bit "stiff" and somehow too clean...Here he sounds tight but heavy and very "live".

There are also a couple of more minimalist bluesy tracks where it feels as if you were in the room with the players (Song for a Fool, Oh! Boy).The feeling is great!

There are the Obvious influences like Black Sabbath(Dio era), Iron Maiden, Whitesnake (Honde is a cross between Coverdale and Di Anno, I'd say), but there are also hints at David Bowie (Life on Mars), Mott the Hoople, and also a very personal touch...

Most songs are mid-tempos, Honde is clearly not a shredder, but seems to go more for a global sound rather than a solo artist with guests.
It's not polished, it's not over-pro-tooled (at least it doesn't sound like it), it's well arranged, well executed, it's what I've been expecting from a new band for awhile now!

Personally I could have done without the Bonus track (the only one featuring Paul Di Anno) which has a more punk rock vibe to it.

Hope S. Honde keeps in touch with this "natural" touch and doesn't fall for the corporate sound.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 11:17 AM BST

Original Raw Uncut Glen Holly
Original Raw Uncut Glen Holly
Price: 16.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting material ruined by track 7, 5 Feb 2014
Another collection of jamming material from master Tommy Bolin, showing his great talent in a mix of rock, jazz and funk. Great jamming , variable sound quality, mostly satisfying...MOSTLY, because sadly there are some serious issues here.
Let me start with the title: "Original Raw Uncut": original-definitly, raw-certainly but uncut?...With a jam clocking at 43 sec, I doubt it...But nevermind that, those kinds of interlude are nice snippets of jam sessions.
What I really mind is that the longest track on the album (Collective energy-track 7), almost 13 minutes long, has been mastered by someone who fell asleep at the table. The volume is SO LOW on that track, you can barely hear anything, and if it wasn't enough at 8min is starts to skip/glitch (and it's definitly not the cd as the counter of the player is running fine. So it must be in the mastering or further down the line). And it's definitly a digital error and not something from the original tape.
The track which seems to be the centre piece of this album is just ruined by a lack of professionalism, and therefor the entire album loses its credibility. This is definitly an album that only die-hard Bolin fans are going to get and they deserve to get a job well done!

This could have been a 4 stars, because it is so interesting to hear Bolin on those unfamiliar jams (as oppose to the "Whips and roses" and "Whirlwind" material-which by the way are excellent!), but the experience is ruined by 13 minutes of sonic nightmare.

Hopefully Johnny Bolin and Phillip Polimeni will fix that and pay more attention if a Vol. 2 is ever released.

Windows / 35th Anniversary...
Windows / 35th Anniversary...
Price: 14.47

5.0 out of 5 stars From Bach to Windows., 24 Dec 2013
Along with the "concerto for group and orchestra", this is my favourite classic/ rock album by Jon Lord & co.
The approach of mixing the orchestra with a rock band might seem similar to the "concerto", but the music itself on "Windows" is very different. It is vastly inspired by Bach's music and often goes into the realms of more contemporary classical music. This is not an easy work to listen to, it is twisted, less melodic than the "concerto".
It features incredible vocal performances by Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale (a.o.).
This is far from boring, one might argue that it feels rushed in some places, and maybe a bit too "weird" in other places, but this is truly the work of somebody who wanted to go further in both musical genres (classical & rock).

Atomic Ark
Atomic Ark
Price: 12.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Lalu, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Atomic Ark (Audio CD)
This is a very good album. I must admit I bought it only based on the fact that it features Virgil Donati on drums. I had never heard of the other musicians.
But it's not just Donati who delivers the goods here, in fact all musicians and the singer are very good and versatile.

The music mixes prog with nu-metal but also symphonic metal or plain heavy metal. Somehow it reminds me of the early Queensryche albums (circa Operation: mindcrime), especially the voice-although a bit less symphonic (which is just fine for me)and a bit more aggressive.

The only disappointment I had was the last and longest track (a nearly 20 min epic), in which I was hoping to hear solos and endless time signatures, but instead is more in the vein of an Ayreon track with lots of singing and not much instrumental moments. This track particulary reminds me of Queensryche.

I'd say the shorter tracks show much more diversity and technique than the long one, but that still leaves plenty of good music on this cd, especially if you like your prog on the harder side.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13