ARRAY(0xa02514e0)

The Game Changer
The Game Changer
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 19 April 2014
This review is from: The Game Changer (Kindle Edition)
I was looking for a thriller that involved not only danger, dastardly deeds and death, but one that engaged my brain, too. With a thoroughly up-to-date knowledge of cyber-crime and all it entails, Peter Bouvier has crafted a book that not only kept me on the edge of my seat, but he gave me well-drawn characters I soon grew to know and sympathise with (apart from the baddies, who were very well drawn and more than evil enough to convince the most avid reader of violent thrillers). Slightly on the long side, this book nevertheless contains a depth of knowledge on the subject and an edge that took me beyond the city of Oxford, where the story is set, to the wider word of cyber terrorism and murky government agents. Highly recommended.

A Deadly Learning: A "Diana Rivers" Murder Mystery Suspense (The 6th "Diana Rivers" Murder Mysteries)
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A whodunnit that sparkles, 12 Mar 2014
I received an advance reader's copy of this book in return for an honest review.

I've always been an admirer of writers who an craft a convoluted, yet convincing plot that can keep me gripped right to the end of a story without me guessing whodunnit before the very end, and A Deadly Learning by Faith Mortimer is just such a story.

I changed my mind several times along the way before the identity of the culprit became clear. Good red-herrings (essential), the perfect setting to engage the reader's senses, great and varied characters are all necessary, plus good pacing and the right tone and language to carry the reader along with the story without worrying about meaning. In this story, Faith Mortimer has carried off all these essential components in an excellent story that will keep the reader intrigued right to the end. Highly recommended.

Dying Phoenix
Dying Phoenix
Price: 2.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister background to a story of love and hope, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dying Phoenix (Kindle Edition)
For me, the most compelling aspect of this story is the palpable sense of danger in Greece, so well described by Loretta Procter in this follow-on from 'The Long Road'. Instead of Nazis, we have the rise of the Generals, behind which an undercurrent of opportunistic violence is taking place, with torture, killing and deprivation commonplace.

Ms Procter writes lyrically about Greece with a confidence born of a deep knowledge of the country and its society. Other reviewers have described the story in more detail, so all I will say is that it is an atmospheric, well-written story which not only informed me about a period of Greek history about which I knew little, but took me there to experience the danger first hand. I love the descriptions of the towns, cities and countryside, and the courage of the people going through such difficult times.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a classic story with love, danger, perseverance and courage durng a period of history which many of us will have lived through without knowing too much about it.

Disappeared: MANTEQUERO BOOK 2
Disappeared: MANTEQUERO BOOK 2
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tension in this sequel to the original Mantequero, 16 Feb 2014
After reading Mantequero, which explained the legend of the fat-sucking vampiric stranger of legend that haunts a remote mountain range in southern Spain, I couldn't wait for the sequel - and I was not disappointed! After her teaching colleague, June, mysteriously does not return from holiday, Alison worries something terrnble has happened to a woman she likes and admired. With lots of initiative, and the help of a friendly travel agent, Alison travels to Spain, to Las Alpujarras, where June was last seen. In a thrilling denoument, with tension building throughout, Alison finally discovers what did happen to June.

A fairly long short story, this will not disappoint fans of Jenny Twist, who writes with knowledge and confidence.

Flashman and the Seawolf
Flashman and the Seawolf
Price: 2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, funny and great fun, 10 Feb 2014
I haven't quite finished reading this excellent book and I've enjoyed every single page. For anyone who has enjoyed any of the original Flashman books (surely a hard act to follow) they won't be disappointed by this one - the first of, I hope, several more. Thank you Robert Brightwell for an excellent read.

A Long Way From Home
A Long Way From Home

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and enlightening, 6 Feb 2014
I was given an advance copy of these short stories by the author.

'A Long Way From Home' is a collection of three short stories, all written in Jan Ruth's eminently readable style and all about the vagaries of relationships. Jan Ruth always manages to uncover the deepest and most complex aspects of her characters, which makes for a great read. In addition, the beguiling setting for all her stories, Snowdonia in North Wales, always plays its part in imparting an atmospheric aspect to her work that charms me as a reader.

Mantequero
Mantequero
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinatingly spooky and it (ahem!) sucked me right in, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mantequero (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this story. Told in a matter-of-fact manner, with straightforward narrative covering all the angles, as it should, I eagerly allowed myself to be carried along on a bed of anticipation right to the end, which was wonderful.

It's a longish short story based on Spanish folk lore. I live in one of the Moorish villages in the Alpujarras, where the story is set, so I can vouch for the authenticity of the setting and the attitude of the local people, who are often still extremely superstitious. In fact, one day in Granada I had to remove my sandal to attend to a nasty blister I'd developed during the day. A passing man, dressed in a kind of Romany fashion, hissed a curse at me, made a sign to ward off the evil eye, turned on his heel and hurried off in the opposite direction simply because he could see the sole of my foot. I had heard about this being unlucky but was surprised at his reaction.

Jenny Twist has done a great job in conveying the depth of superstition still prevalent in rural areas in Andalucia and I recommend this story to anyone who likes a little thrill of horror. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 9:33 AM GMT

Silver Rain
Silver Rain
Price: 1.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Sonwdonia wins me over again, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Silver Rain (Kindle Edition)
I love Jan Ruth's books set against the background of Snowdonia, with its mixed weather and stunning scenery, and the rural life (especially including horses) that is such an integral part of her writing. This book will appeal to a more mature readership who have experienced life's ups and downs through decades, rather than a few months or a year at the start of a marriage or relationship in their early twenties or thirties.

Silver Rain is a story of confusing family relationships, just like real life, with plenty of twists and turns along the way. My only issue (and this is probably down to me rather than Ms Ruth's excellent portrayal of her characters) is that I did not take to Alastair, one of the MCs in this story. For me, indecisiveness, an artistic temperament combined with a facile way with women did not appeal. I also felt the resolution of his particular issues as a character was maybe a touch too convenient. However, the other characters were well-written, with thoughtful insights into their own and others' situations. I loved the animals - full of character, as ever, and the way the younger generation (and some minor characters much older) were portrayed.

Another excellent read from Jan Ruth and I look forward to her next book.

CATHY'S CLOWN (THE FAIRGROUND ROMANCE SERIES)
CATHY'S CLOWN (THE FAIRGROUND ROMANCE SERIES)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia-fest - enjoyed it all., 17 Jan 2014
Pam Howes has a knack of taking her readers right back in time to re-experience exactly what is was like way back then, or to introduce younger readers to a period they may only have heard about through their parents or even grandparents. The characters are crisply drawn and endearing, with the two main characters perfectly balanced against those who would drive them apart.

Settings are well depicted and the emotions generated my Ms Howes on behalf of her characters totally believable and sympathetic.

The book ends with plenty of scope for a sequel(s) and I, for one, hope I don't have to wait too long to read it.

Nothing Save the Bones Inside Her
Nothing Save the Bones Inside Her
Price: 2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Shatteringly good book in the unusual Rural Noir genre, 17 Jan 2014
I loved this. To begin with, I was a bit wary of being thrust straight into a particularly violent and horrible opening, but I am so very glad I persevered and finished this book. It is a classic fight, on so many levels, between good and evil. The evil is so bad it seems as if good could never overcome it. I won't say more except that the characters are beautifully rendered, the countryside against which this rural noir story is set leaps into life and is an integral part of the story and the thinking behind this book provocative and fundamental.

Not for the faint-hearted, but so very worthwhile.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12