Profile for Clementine > Reviews

Caribbean Food Made Easy
Caribbean Food Made Easy
by Levi Roots

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gwaan? Great stuff !, 25 Aug 2009
Watched the first episode of this series last night and quite enjoyed it, I have also had this book for a good two weeks and put it to the test (or taste?) at least 5-6 times so far.
All the recipes are explained very clearly, the pictures just make your mouth water and the results are fab and seriously tasty.
I haven't used Scotchbonnet peppers yet as they are fierce but regular hot peppers are fine and can obviously be adjusted to taste to enjoy all the other flavours, and there are plenty... (This to answer any criticism that Scotchbonnets are hard to find or the food too spicy).
My children spent last summer with their Jamaican grandparents and they were literally jumping up and down when looking at the lovely pictures, memories, memories...They bookmarked most of the fish and chicken recipes, so I do not have to look too far for inspiration these days...
In short, just love this book and its tasty offerings.
Thanks Levi for bringing the sunshine in !
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 12:09 AM BST

Songs In Spanish For Children
Songs In Spanish For Children
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Children love it !, 24 Aug 2009
For some reason, my daughter has a keen interest in Spanish (the Dora effect?) so I bought this to encourage that.
Well, I must confess one thing: When I first listened to this, I thought " Oh my God!", I just hated it, not my kind of music at all, definitely boring stuff.
The thing is my daughter, again for some reason, loves it! She sings along and keeps asking me what this or that means... So, well, this is not about me, hence the 5 stars, and I must admit that this Cd fits the bill: children love it, it arouses their interest and they learn quite a lot, so parents, don't complain, this is not for you after all, and give it a try, you might be surprised !
PS: After listening to this about 5 times on the long way to Spain I was actually joining in...the value of brainwashing I suppose...

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache: The ultimate feel-good book of natural cakes that taste naughty
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars J'adore !, 19 Aug 2009
I have been making bread with various vegetables for years but my experience with (vegetable) cakes was limited to carrot cakes, courgette loaves + one beetroot chocolate cake, not too bad maybe but when I saw this book was going to be published I just couldn't wait to lay my hands on it and greedily devour it.

Well, Harry Eastwood, hats off! You have exceeded all my expectations, and yes, they were pretty high...

This book is delightful to look at, to read and last but not least of course to bake from.

The photos are great, the layout is clear and I really enjoyed the cute introductions to each recipe as well as the "Trust me tips" which, added to the detailed explanations given in the recipes proper, guide us smoothly through the whole process, making sure the results are topnotch and they truly are !
The icing on the cake for me was the cake diaries (ie: the development of the recipes with its highs and lows) which I found both interesting and entertaining.

Once again Harry hats off for all the research that has gone into this gorgeous book, it was well worth it...I could wax lyrical about it for quite some time but I guess it is better to let the cakes speak for themselves (although they won't tell you about their mystery vegetable ingredient ;-))

J'adore!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !, 23 May 2009
This is a brilliant food processor. First of all it's got THE LOOK and to be fair this is what attracted me first. Very shallow I agree but why do you think people buy flashy cars? To me it looked like a luxury car and indeed it is the rolls royce of food processors: Solidly built and glamorous. Everybody who sets foot in my kitchen for the first time says: "whaoh, what's that?" and I love it! Pretty face alright but not only: this has got brains and muscles too...Asset number one it is solidly built, very heavy and therefore very stable, a must for a serious food processor. Second its motor is intelligent and adjusts its speed to what you need to process, very neat! Third, it is quite silent when it operates, the best I have ever had in that respect. Fourth I manage to store most of its elements inside it, which I find very handy (does not look too good if you see the animal as a showpiece as well as an excellent tool though...). Fifth,it is very easy to clean, which won my heart forever and, yes, last but not least it of course does most of what you would expect from the most elaborate food processor, so in spite of the price it is still good value for money (look out for discounts on the net too).In case you still wondered, I absolutely love it!

The Vodka Cookbook: Published in Association with Smirnoff
The Vodka Cookbook: Published in Association with Smirnoff
by John Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent surprise !, 21 May 2009
This was bought as a joke for a friend after a battle of spirits over the uses of alcohol in cooking (and medicine, well...) but it turned out to be much more. Inventive and interesting recipes, lovely pictures, my friend was delighted and so were we when he organised a superb vodka dinner in retaliation. Everybody had a close look at the book that evening and a few more copies were bought.We have now also been through several experiments using tequila, whisky or cognac in some of the recipes and the results have been great (May I add that they have been enjoyed by both drinkers and teetotallers, the aim of the game is not to overpower the dish with booze, the dosage is well thought out in each recipe, respecting it or not is your choice of course).
Much more than an advertising front for Smirnoff as I first thought, this book offers a lot of great ideas and tasty recipes, it is very pleasant to flick through and opens the door to much more, should you wish to experiment further. Definitely a good buy !

10 Minute Solution Pilates Collection  (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)   [DVD]
10 Minute Solution Pilates Collection (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 minute solution collection, 29 April 2009
I love the 10 minute solution DVDs and this collection comes in handy as it offers a great variety of quality Pilates workouts. However, I think including the Pregnancy DVD was a mistake as it caters for specific needs and it therefore is useless for other people, it would have been much better to omit that one and include the Pilates Perfect Body DVD, thus making this collection a brilliant one.
Pricewise, wait for a special offer by Amazon (that's when and why I bought this), particularly if you don't need the pregnancy workout, or buy them separately,giving you the choice to substitute Pregnancy for Perfect Body. At the current price it would work out at about the same for what you really need.
So 5 * for the workouts and 3 *for the collection choice.

Cuisinart Food Processor Chrome Finish
Cuisinart Food Processor Chrome Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 April 2009

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 April 2009
This is a brilliant food processor. First of all it's got THE LOOK and to be fair this is what attracted me first. Very shallow I agree but why do you think people buy flashy cars? To me it looked like a luxury car and indeed it is the rolls royce of food processors: Solidly built and glamorous. Everybody who sets foot in my kitchen for the first time says: "whaoh, what's that?" and I love it! Pretty face alright but not only: this has got brains and muscles too...Asset number one it is solidly built, very heavy and therefore very stable, a must for a serious food processor. Second its motor is intelligent and adjusts its speed to what you need to process, very neat! Third, it is quite silent when it operates, the best I have ever had in that respect. Fourth I manage to store most of its elements inside it, which I find very handy (does not look too good if you see the animal as a showpiece as well as an excellent tool though). Fifth,it is very easy to clean, which won my heart forever and, yes, last but not least it of course does most of what you would expect from the most elaborate food processor, so in spite of the price it is still good value for money (look out for discounts on the net too).In case you still wondered, I absolutely love it!
PS: Did I mention that on top if it all, it also comes with a 20-year guarantee? Cuisinart you should give me shares for that review...

Everyday Novelli: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Favourite French Chef
Everyday Novelli: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Favourite French Chef
by Jean-Christophe Novelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrong title maybe but great cookbook !, 28 Mar 2009
I agree with the previous reviewer that the title is a bit of misnomer and this is such a shame as I understand how it might open the door to disappointment: some of the recipes here are nowhere near "shortcut" or "quick and easy" and a more suitable title might have been something like "Novelli anytime" as any time you feel like sprucing up your daily fare this book will show you the way.
The recipes are very good and extremely well explained. The time they are supposed to take in preparation and cooking is very clearly stated at the beginning of each recipe so it is easy to decide whether we have time for it that day or not.
There is a great selection of recipes and interesting suggestions for variations. I won't give any example as the previous reviewer did that very well, but I would like to add that everything is very doable, this is not 3* restaurant over elaborate food but "just" very very tasty food with a Novelli twist and no shouting. It might require some more time than standard everyday food but it is definitely worth it.
What I also liked is that unlike the latest trend in "celebrity" cookbooks which heavily splash beaming pictures of the creature over very few pictures of the actual food, the focus here is clearly on Novelli's food. The pictures are great and JCN is there of course but he never stands in the way of his food and this is how a cookbook should be.Yes, I know, I am not fifteen anymore (sigh!)and have grown into an old bore who actually buys cookbooks for the recipes, not the pretty cook...
The preface (supposedly?) written by Maman Novelli sets the tone: the book is not about "me a celebrity chef", but about a man and his passion for food which we are lucky to be able to share thanks to this very good cookbook.

Creole
Creole
by Babette de Rozières

5.0 out of 5 stars West Indies a la francaise!, 23 Feb 2009
This review is from: Creole (Hardcover)
This is a very pleasant book to flick through (beautiful photos) and it is also a very good cookbook per se. It is particularly interesting as books about Caribbean cookery published in English obviously focus more on the English speaking islands. Babette ,a Guadaloupan, offers a new insight into food from the West Indies, a lot of similarities with the other islands of course but also a permanent je ne sais quoi which makes the difference worth exploring. I found a lot of the recipes interesting and all of them are clearly explained.
Babette has a restaurant in Paris and is a regular on French TV. To my mind she is one of the few French speaking chefs worth watching as she conveys a real passion for her food and a total lack of the paternalism so often shown by her fellow chefs on French TV.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7