Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse Radio Transfer, PC Mouse, PC / Mac, 4-ways
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse Radio Transfer, PC Mouse, PC / Mac, 4-ways

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mouse, 18 Aug. 2010
Bought this mouse for my notebook as I prefer a mouse to a touchpad. I was afraid it would be too small to be really comfortable but not so. It very pleasantly fits in the hand and works perfectly. It was immediately recognized by my computer thanks to the discreet nano usb key so no tedious setup phase or reading of a notice printed in ridiculously small prints or bad English (but there is a notice of course!). There is a button at the back to switch off the mouse and save the battery after your session and a place to store the nano usb key inside the battery compartment. Really I don't know what I could reproach this mouse with, I just love it!

Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver

Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 Dark Silver - 910-000937
Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 Dark Silver - 910-000937

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mouse, 18 Aug. 2010
Bought this mouse for my notebook as I prefer a mouse to a touchpad. I was afraid it would be too small to be really comfortable but not so. It very pleasantly fits in the hand and works perfectly. It was immediately recognized by my computer thanks to the discreet nano usb key so no tedious setup phase or reading of a notice printed in ridiculously small prints or bad English (but there is a notice of course!). There is a button at the back to switch off the mouse and save the battery after your session and a place to store the nano usb key inside the battery compartment. Really I don't know what I could reproach this mouse with and with the current Amazon half price discount it is really worth a try.

The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties
by Linda Collister

5.0 out of 5 stars Another baking book? Yes but maybe a little more than that..., 17 Aug. 2010
My love of British baking started early on when as a teenager I was lucky enough to spend some holidays in England for the first time. Cornwall it was and I discovered the delights of cream teas with clotted cream and wonderful scones as well as apple pies with custard or rich gorgeous ice cream. Very exotic at the time for a French teenager and whenever someone cracked a joke about how bad English food was, I would defend it with all my heart going on and on about how wonderful your cakes (and your fish and chips to that matter) were. My communication skills developing little by little I then went on to meet real people some of whom were kind enough to give me their recipes for more and more British and Irish baking treats which I avidly collected and tried over the years. A recipe is so much better when it is passed on by a real person...
I saw this book at a bookstore last week-end and although I already have quite a few baking books, I just couldn't resist buying it. What is to be found here is a great collection of traditional recipes we have all tried or heard of one day or another, a lot of techniques and useful hints to succeed in our baking but above it all a lot of recipes (about a third?) which have been passed on by real people with their personal little tweaks and tricks. Absolutely wonderful! I really feel like I have extended my network of baking friends and treasured recipes. There are so many great ideas I can't wait to try here that I am all excited like a teenager again.
The instructions to make the cakes are precise and detailed, we made a 'Death by Chocolate' cake and chocolate shortcake this week-end -we did not have the ingredients for anything more daring unfortunately- and they were delicious, perfect texture too, all finished by Monday... I just hope the other recipes will turn out just as well and will try to update this review as I/we make more...
The book also features savoury recipes which look enticing but sorry to say, I have a sweet tooth and what really gave me a buzz was the fascinating choice of interesting sweet recipes on offer here.
Now the proof of the pudding is in the eating and having watched the first episode of the programme tonight, I know what I am going to bake next week-end...

Update 1: Jasminder's parrot cake was great (I think it was called tropical hummingbird cake in the programme or something like that)and the apple pie with cheddar crust surprising but very tasty, love this book !
Update 2: I watched the series after buying the book and it is true that people who watched the programme on BBC2 might regret that all the recipes from the contestants are not included here but in spite of that it really is a wonderful book of baking and as one reviewer mentioned, maybe some contestants were not too keen on sharing their recipes, who knows?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2010 6:04 PM BST

Lekue Queen Form Mould Silicone
Lekue Queen Form Mould Silicone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great look !, 17 Aug. 2010
Great shape and stunning look for your cake which you can enhance further thanks to your own decorative skills. This is a good quality silicone mould, the only thing you can reproach it with, apart from its price, is the fact that it is on the small side -small but cute as my daughter puts it- so a little limited if you want to please hungry/greedy teenagers but perfect for adults who watch their waistlines or who are not so hungry after a good meal. To put it in a nutshell, I would say one cake for 4 teenagers who will ask if there is another one -so make two ;-), one for 5/6 "reasonable"adults, one for 8/10 adults as part of a dessert buffet or after a very big meal. Of course portions will also vary according to the cake richness. My remarks apply to a standard cake (like a poundcake maybe?) as well as to the two other original moulds in this Lekue imperial collection. Yes I have all three, the official excuse being that with the number of 6-foot rodents raiding the place at regular intervals I often have to make 2...A bit expensive maybe for what remains on the gadget side but look out for frequent discounts on the web. As as I am concerned, I am quite pleased with these moulds as I love it when I have special requests for my "weird" cakes - and that is quite often!

Lekue Royal Crown Mould Silicone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great look !, 17 Aug. 2010

Lekue Pumpkin 3D Mould Silicone
Lekue Pumpkin 3D Mould Silicone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun !, 3 Aug. 2010
Good quality silicone mould. Good fun for kids and adults alike for Halloween or just to celebrate autumn, no need to be a full blown artist for lots of effect with little work (apart from making the cake and adding a little deco). I also use the mould for home made brioches and steamed puddings. Somewhat expensive for what remains on the gadget side but look out for discounts on the web !

The Watercress Soup Diet
The Watercress Soup Diet
by Marianne Dawson

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take on the cabbage soup diet., 12 May 2010
I bought this out of sheer curiosity because it was cheap on Amazon. Not quite a good reason I agree, however this is what I thought of the book:
I went on the cabbage diet before and this is very similar, to put it simply, the principle is exactly the same, you just replace the cabbage soup by a watercress soup, the sequence of days with only this or that is exactly the same.
What I found interesting is that you are less likely to get fed up with this soup as it is much lighter and fresher than the cabbage soup I hated by the end of the 7-day programme (actually way before the end of it!), so I guess that if I ever do that again, it will be much easier.
I also liked the suggestions for flavouring the soup as variation helps to stick to any restrictive diet. Also given are recipes for each day to show you what you can cook within a restricted list of fruits and then vegs and so on...
After the diet itself, you are given a choice of breakfasts, light lunches and low-cal suppers for the 2 weeks following the diet and finally a 2-week follow-on diet with 14 daily menus between 950 and 1500 calories a day, low fat recipes provided. The last two sections of the book are a section on entertaining on the diet (which I found interesting) and a list of 50 dieting tips.
You therefore get quite a lot in a little book and I guess if you want a detox week followed by a low cal diet, it is quite a good choice.
I am not into quick-fix diets anymore but I might do the watercress 7-day diet as a detox when the weather gets warmer (!), the snag might be that I will find it difficult to find such a lot of watercress when I need it but I will just replace it with spinach or other greens or even green smoothies as I don't really believe in single magic ingredients. All in all this book will still be an interesting guide.
You might feel like asking me if the cabbage soup diet (and therefore this sister diet) works, the answer is yes, short term as a quick fix but no, long term if you go back to your old habits (like any diet), so only worth doing if you try to stick to a healthier diet afterwards (even if you don't stick to the low-cal plan given in the book).

Active Health with Carol Vorderman (Nintendo DS)
Active Health with Carol Vorderman (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but definitely worth it !, 9 May 2010
I have been on this programme for 6 weeks now and here is what I can say about it:
As other reviewers have mentioned, the pedometer is great as it easily fits -and stays-in your pocket, a clip is also provided if you prefer that. It is quite discreet- unlike the one provided with My Health Coach. I would give it five stars.
As for the "game", it sets a number of steps per day -but what counts is what you do per week, which allows you to do more on one day and less on another- and a number of calories per day. It is up to you to accept that or not and you can adjust your goal for the week manually if need be. You have to enter what you eat everyday and to download your steps or enter alternative physical activities manually, you are then given some feedback and encouragements to carry on like that or to do better the next day. At the end of the week, an assessment and medals are given and a new goal is set for the following week depending on on well you did. Again this can be readjusted, the aim is not to set a goal that you will feel impossible to meet !
I read a review saying you have to enter your weight everyday but that is only true if you want to gain a few more points -who cares, really...- I enter my weight just before the weekly assessment and that is perfectly fine for the programme.
I found the food list easy to handle (you get quicker after a few days and it then takes almost no time at all) and the programme motivating and pleasant to stick to.
I feel a tad silly in saying that I am enjoying the challenge of walking all the way from Lands End to John O'Groats, but I really am and I hope to complete it some day (day after day you can check how far you have reached), so that worked for me too, every little helps to keep one's motivation!
The reason why I don't give the product 5 stars is that although I must say that it has exceeded my expectations -I bought it for the very handy pedometer more than anything else- is that it is not perfect on the nutritional aspect. In other words, it does not teach you how to eat a balanced diet, it "only" checks your salt, fat and sugar intakes and calories based on processed foods -and the actual values can be quite different when you eat home cooked food...- not the balance of your intakes (ratio meat, veg etc..)
Still, it is not too much of a problem as you can find info elsewhere and it is easy to recognise when the assessment of your intakes is wrong (re: home made versus processed). The main point for me is that it has really encouraged me to be much more active and to stick to my "negotiated" goals.
The programme does offer menu suggestions for those who want a helping hand but then it feels like a diet to follow and the whole point of this programme is that it does not feel like a diet although it definitely encourages you to monitor your food and to boost your fitness level.
So although it has some limits I do think that this "game" is definitely worth buying if you want to get back to fitness smoothly (ie: no bootcamp or fitness class)
Results in 6 weeks? Well no miracles: little weight lost (3kg) but the ole body is slowly but surely firming up (6% less fat according to my scales) and I am proud to say that I have walked 153 miles in 6 weeks and as long as I am proud of myself I will keep going (yep, definitely smug self satisfaction!)... John O'Groats here I come !
18/8: Just a little update for fun, I have now walked 350 miles -Wrexham- and lost 8kg in spite of my love for cakes and bakes. Not half way to John O'Groats yet but the incentive definitely keeps me going...
23/02: only 200 miles to go, weight off stable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7