Profile for Clementine > Reviews

Notes from my Kitchen Table
Notes from my Kitchen Table
by Gwyneth Paltrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Check it out in a bookshop before you buy, 30 April 2011
This is a very pretty celebrity cookbook, perfect coffee table book. It has a good selection of simple recipes which are enhanced by beautiful photos and rather interesting introductions+anecdotes -a pleasant read if you are a G Paltrow fan. However, apart from a few recipes, I had a definite sense of deja vu as I flicked through. I am not saying that the recipes are not good but a lot of them are nothing to write home about if you already have a few good basic cookbooks. If you don't, not a bad buy at all, if you do, check it out first before buying to see if it meets your expectations or you might be disappointed...

Babycakes
Babycakes
by Erin McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and yummy., 29 April 2011
This review is from: Babycakes (Hardcover)
First of all let me say that I am not vegan nor allergic or intolerant to anything (yet), lucky me...But the reason why I bought this book is that I love my cakes and bakes and I was interested in checking out a heathier way to indulge in my sins.
This is the UK version of an American book. Contrary to the original US version, this book has cup measurements converted to kg/g and l/ml/cl (ie metric but not imperial, sorry!) and a lot of American terms adapted to the British market. Also and most importantly I thought, a very useful list of UK websites is provided at the end of the book to help locate ingredients which might not be available at all supermarkets.
All that will lift a lot of the criticisms raised against the original version provided people also read the title correctly: Vegan but only mostly gluten free -some recipes use spelt flour which is not gluten free although Erin mcKenna underlines that a lot of people with wheat sensitivities digest it confortably- and mostly sugar free.
If that suits you , you are in for a treat, the recipes have been very well researched and there is something -in fact a lot of things- to suit anyone and everyone here. Once you have got hold of the less common ingredients, which is very easy to do thanks to the list of UK websites provided as I mentioned earlier, you are very clearly guided through the recipes and given ideas for substitutions and clever tips to boot.
Only one gripe: although I found the introduction on ingredients and tips quite interesting, I would gladly have done without the 'celebrities' recommendations and photos which take up a few pages too many, very American I suppose but I would have preferred more recipes to replace them, this is a cookbook after all!
Apart from that this book is a real find for cake lovers with or without food intolerances and/or ethical choices and just to give you a taster, recipes include: double chocolate crumbcake, lemon-poppy teacake, chocolate shortbread scones with caramelised bananas, red velvet cupcakes, jalapeno cheddar cornbread, blueberry crumbcake....and a lot more to be enjoyed!
One more word: the cryptic -for me at least- 'evaporated cane juice' is called whole cane sugar or rapadura this side of the Atlantic...Also check their website FAQ on [...]

Babycakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-about Bakery
by Erin McKenna

4.0 out of 5 stars UK version now available see below, 29 April 2011
I thought I would post this information here although it is not a book review as such: A UK version of this book is now available with cup measurements converted to kg/g and l/ml/cl (ie metric but not imperial, sorry!)and a lot of American terms adapted to the British market. Also and most importantly I thought, a very useful list of UK websites is provided at the end of the book to help locate ingredients which might not be available at all supermarkets.
If you are interested, check the ISBN for the British version before ordering:
# ISBN-10: 1906650322
# ISBN-13: 978-1906650322
Hope this helps ;-)
The only reason I do not give this book 5* here is because this is the US version which is less helpful to us in the UK, the UK version would get 5*.

Spices Used in Delia's 'How to Cheat Book'
Spices Used in Delia's 'How to Cheat Book'
Offered by Seasoned Pioneers

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a try, 27 April 2011
Delia or no Delia, this is a great selection of spice mixes and a good way to discover new tastes. If you happen to have Delia's How to Cheat, however controversial the book may have been, you will be given an idea of how to use the selection, ifnot, a quick search on the internet will help you out, there are also a few ideas on the Seasoned Pionners website. Very good quality spices, well worth a try if you like international cuisines.

Afternoon Tea Parties: 1
Afternoon Tea Parties: 1
by Susannah Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes and gorgeous pictures, 27 April 2011
Superb little book, a feast to the eye thanks to the amazing photos, just flicking through it makes you feel like baking and inviting people for a tea party. A great choice of recipes, both sweet -majority- and savoury to tempt your palate and most importantly, it must be said that the recipes do deliver the expected results. I also liked the fact that recipes were classified around a themed tea partie eg: Mother's Day Tea, Japanese tea, WinterWonderland, French Tea, Southern-style Tea, Russian Tea Ceremony, Tropical Tea, Sweet Sixteen etc...In most cases I find this kind of classification annoying as it can make it difficult to locate a recipe but here I found it inspirational as the selection of recipes in each chapter matches the theme to a T. The fact that the recipes are presented together on one picture at the beginning of each chapter also helps to visualise your tea party should you follow the suggestions given. Definitely a good buy.

Afternoon Tea Parties
Afternoon Tea Parties
by Susannah Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes and gorgeous pictures, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Afternoon Tea Parties (Hardcover)

Stew!: 100 Splendidly Simple Recipes
Stew!: 100 Splendidly Simple Recipes
by Genevieve Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A mouth-watering collection., 3 April 2011
This is a great selection of stews from all over the world offering a great variety to cater for all tastes although only about 15% are vegetarian, which might make the appeal more limited for those of us who are not omnivores.
The recipes -all savoury- are classified into chapters called: Traditional and hearty, Meals in a bowl, Stews to impress, Fragrant and Aromatic and finally Fresh and Vibrant, the index at the end lists them from key ingredients, which makes it fairly easy to navigate through although an additional listing of the recipes to be found in each chapter would have been a welcome addition.
The photos are very appetising, the recipes are clearly explained, easy to follow and produce great results (even though the Beef Carbonnade lacks the "secret" ingredient which makes all the difference ;-).
I have been really impressed by Genevieve Taylor's take on both British and international dishes and the sheer variety she offers in this book, here is a taster of recipes we have tried and enjoyed: Sri Lankan fish curry with coconut sambal, Prawns and red peppers with almond and garlic sauce, Lamb with white beans and coriander, Persian chicken with walnuts and pomegranates, Pork belly braised with satsumas and medieval spices, Greek chicken and pasta stew to name but a few...
If you love stews this will be a great addition to your cookbook collection. Anthony Worrall Thompson's Slow Cooking is another one worth checking out, I bought both within a few days (^^) and I am glad to say they complement each other very nicely.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2014 5:46 PM GMT

Beautiful Imperfection
Beautiful Imperfection

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Beautiful Imperfection (Audio CD)
What an amazing artist Asa is! This is the third album I buy and I am still amazed at how talented this unassuming young lady is. Love the voice, love the atmosphere(s) -even when sometimes I can't understand the lyrics-, love the "fusion" music, nobody likes that word "fusion" anymore but this is "fusion" at its best, a wonderful cocktail. Last time I was as excited with an album was with Amy Winehouse - still hope she pulls through some time - this is not the same but this also shouts talent, talent, talent! In other words, listen to the extracts on Amazon to make sure this can link up with your own little world and buy, buy, buy, you won't regret it!

Antony's Slow Cooking: 100 easy recipes for the slow cooker, the oven and the hob
by Antony Worrall Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Feb. 2011
Love this book. Although it surfs on the wave of what is back to fashion after years of oblivion and sometimes contempt ie the slow cooker ( and after all, why shouldn't it?), it is a great offering.
I suppose it could be a disappointment for people who are after very traditional British recipes for the slow cooker -for which there are plenty of other books- as a lot of recipes require different kinds of spices, but I found the ratio traditional vs international recipes very much in keeping with my tastes.
I liked the presentation of the recipes and the clear indications at the top of the page as to number of servings, prep time, cooking time and setting (slow cooker) or hob or oven as well as the tips and suggestions given after the recipes.
Most of the recipes are for the slow cooker but some are to be cooked on the hob or in the oven, all obviously take some time to "slow cook" but most take about 15 mns prep time, so in most cases, little work and great returns - if we checked the cooking time matched our schedule ;-).
The photos are good and inspiring although they are not on glossy paper and every recipe is not featured but they look pretty close to what you will obtain (one or two forgivable exceptions to make the photos look more appealing), something I do appreciate.
Recipes are sorted out by:
-Introduction (with great slow cooker tips for people who are new to the appliance...and the others)
-Soups and sauces (we loved the seafood laksa -expensive but well worth it- and the bolognese cooked that way was a winner too)
-On the side (aromatic aubergine with feta and spinach was surprisingly tasty as were slow-cooked courgettes and slow-cooked fennel with tomatoes, olives and crispy crumbs, next on the list: spicy braised aubergines with prunes...)
-Roasts and braises (the take on jerk chicken was lovely, spicy pork in stout very nice)
-Bakes(we tried chicken, pork, apple and walnut terrine (yum) but there are also recipes for fish pie, steak and kidney pudding, wild mushroom risotto, turkey meatballs with tomato rice pilaf...)
-Stews (a great selection from Lancashire hotpot, paprika goulash to Greek octopus stew, mixed grain jambalaya(loved it!), Carribean fish stew...)
-Curries and tagines ( more exotic recipes -mostly curries as you can guess- buttered chicken and tomato curry was superb)
-Puddings and treats (a lot of fruit based desserts such as poached figs with blackberries, Jamaican coconut bananas(yum!), spiced apple terrine and honeyed yogurt but also spiced carrot cake- very tasty and moist cooked that way- chocolate saucy pudding, treacle sponge, lemon curd and rich maple creme caramel...)
-Stocks

So a great book if you want to give slow-cooking a try with a lovely selection of both British and international-style recipes, thumbs up Antony!

Another good book worth checking out is Genevieve Taylor's "Stew!", I bought both books over a short period ^^ and I am quite happy to say that they nicely complement each other.

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet
by Pierre Dukan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for meat lovers but..., 29 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Great diet for meat lovers! However if you are not a devoted carnivore you might find this diet difficult to stick to.
What follows reflects my own experience and opinion of the diet, I am not too interested in the for or against Dukan battle.
First I'd like to say that Dukan is not the same as Atkins as some people suggest as Atkins allows/encourages fat meats, Dukan on the contrary forbids them, Dukan is a kind of very low fat Atkins + oat bran.
The diet is well planned in 4 phases, each phase being less restrictive than the preceding one, you definitely have to read the book fully before you start -if only to know what you can look forward to in the next phase!
I stuck to phase 1 (Attack)for 5 days and absolutely hated it as of day 3. Contrary to others I did not find the oat bran galette palatable at all, it is quite filling Ok but tasty, I don't think so. However my main problem was the lack of vegetables. Don't take me wrong, I am a carnivore but feeding on meat, eggs and fish only did not agree with me, I felt clogged, sluggish, weak -I am rather active- and bored, very very bored with the diet, actually longing to become a vegetarian! Still I stuck to it because it was a short term effort.
Weight loss 1.5kg and mostly water, yeah right!
Then started on phase 2 (cruise) which you are supposed to stick to until you reach your target weight. In this phase you alternate protein only days with veg/protein days. Stuck to it for about another week and finally gave up because I found it difficult to fit in so many protein only days with children -back home after a week away- asking me why they should eat their vegetables when I did not. So pressure got me off tracks and quite happily so in a way as I hated protein only days anyway. Ok call it an excuse if you wish but really I was so relieved -both mentally and physically- to get back to protein/veg meals every day that it did not feel like a failure but a victory over something which did not agree with me at all. So some weight did come off (as it does with other diets anyway) but this diet was not for me. However if I had been a devoted carnivore, I would have loved it and it would have been a great way to lose weight as it is true you do not go hungry and the diet is well planned to help you reach your target weight and stay there provided you respect a few rules. Obviously if you go wild again you will put everything back on- again like any other diet.
So my conclusion:
Bad points: difficult to stick to unless you are really a devoted meat/egg/fish lover ( boredom, sluggishness, possible constipation in phase 1). The very low fat approach makes it healthier than Atkins but to what extent? Our body also needs fats and unless we eat fatty fish on a regular basis I suspect this might not be as healthy as it seems in the long run (+don't we need a variety of fats even if it is in moderation?)
Good points: I was not impressed by the weight loss in phase 1or even the first 2 weeks, however one great point was that the short time I was on the diet weaned me off sweet cravings and I did not miss alcohol at all. The other good point is that I now absolutely love my veg to a point I would never have anticipated -the power of frustration? So the diet has actually set me on the right track for a much healthier diet: sort of low carb (one cake a week ;-), low fat to a -reasonable- point, little alcohol and regular exercise which I was on before anyway: I liked the fact that Dukan 'prescribed' walking as apart of his diet as I have been a convert for quite some time. I will also keep the idea of oat bran with yogurt as a healthy snack or breakfast and possibly one protein day a week when/if ever I feel up to it as he advises for phase 3 (stabilisation).
So not a bad experience after all even if this diet as a whole is not for me. Hope this helps some people to make up their minds as to whether or not they want to give this diet a try, good luck !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7