Profile for eeksqueak > Reviews

eeksqueak (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
by Ingrid Law

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing up the magical way, 17 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Savvy (Hardcover)
A rites of passage novel with a difference. Mibs's brother Rocket can control electricity, zipping and zapping all over the place. Her brother Fish creates storms and hurricanes. Her mum is just perfect. And now Mibs is turning 13 - her own savvy birthday. What will her special power turn out to be?

Blending a rites-of-passage theme with a road trip, a family crisis and a dash of the supernatural, this book stirs a range of ingredients into its bubbling pot. There are some surprises along the way - and some predictable moments. The book isn't faultless, and it has the odd moment that doesn't quite ring true, or feels clumsy or contrived. But it's also full of invention and and lyrical language. Sweet, quirky, original and artfully naive, this book has so much to enjoy that the odd false note hardly matters.

Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan
by Carlos Castaneda

3.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom or weird cultish brainwashing?, 13 Jun. 2008
PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK so I've just posted as a 3 star review.

I was interested in reading it but have been reading a little about the author's life on Wikipedia which put me off big time.

It sounds as if he ran something scarily like a cult in which he kept everyone in close confines and asked them to erase their personal history.

The day after his death three of his female associates known as 'witches' disappeared and are thought to have committed suicide. His adopted daughter also vanished and her remains were found in the desert a few years back.

This sounds pretty scary to me and I am no longer so keen to find out what this guy has to say. Once you read the background info the whole thing seems a little dark.

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac Mini
Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac Mini

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could fit Mac Mini better, 1 Feb. 2008
I just bought this and so far it's OK, didn't have any problem connecting the cables to my old-style mac mini. But my mac mini slides around when stood on top of the hub so I've had to blu-tac it down!

It's a shame it's not a slightly better fit for the mac mini style-wise because the idea is lovely. I've got a Lacie external hard drive built for the mac mini which is a perfect match: it has specially shaped casing to fit the mac mini's feet or to stop it from slipping if placed on top, and it even matches the silvery colour. It's a shame this isn't an equally good match.

I daren't look round the back of my computer now, it's such a thicket of cables!

Morphy Richards 73121 POD Bagless Compact Cylinder Cleaner
Morphy Richards 73121 POD Bagless Compact Cylinder Cleaner

1.0 out of 5 stars Indescribably dreadful - the worst hoover in the world?, 17 Dec. 2007
Had this hoover for over a year and a half. It was awful! Didn't pick up a thing on our carpet - it seemed to lack suction entirely and left crumbs of dirt and hairs everywhere. It's the worst vacuum I have ever used in my life. Like the reviewer of the Morphy Richards 73195 Big Pod, I basically ended up crouching on the floor picking up most of the dirt by hand. Bits of hoovering that should have taken a few minutes took ages and ages to do and I hated every painful moment of it! Anyway I have now bought an Electrolux Powerlite Z3318 which cost only £31 and has done in minutes the cleaning that this piece of rubbish failed to do over months of agonising effort! Goodbye and Good Riddance, Morphy Richards Bagless Pod!

Electrolux Z3318 Powerlite Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - Blue Metallic 1800w
Electrolux Z3318 Powerlite Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - Blue Metallic 1800w

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lifesaver, and so cheap too!, 17 Dec. 2007
After nearly two years of misery using an awful Morphy Richards pod cleaner that utterly failed to vacuum up a thing, I was desperate for a new hoover but uh oh! No money. I thought I was doomed to a filthy floor forever when I found this affordable little gem on Amazon. Bought it, got it home and in a single swift vacuum it returned my disgusting carpet to pristine condition. It took up all the hairs, the fluff, the crumbs, all the annoying little specks of dirt - everything. Haven't tried it on wood flooring but it certainly does the business on my carpet - great suction, very easy to manouevre and nice and compact. The only drawback is that it is quite noisy but hey! It cleans like a demon! And for £31 what a bargain!!

Page: 1 | 2