Profile for kathy 23 > Reviews

Content by kathy 23

kathy 23 (Herefordshire, UK)

Cuckoo
Cuckoo
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever storytelling, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was a brilliant book. The characters seem so obvious and clear cut at the beginning but Rose's gradual disintegration from organised homemaker to woman on the verge of being sectioned is written brilliantly. Polly is also far more complex than she first appears.
I think the irritating "product placement" is actually completely key to the plot - the whole point is that Rose had a miserable childhood, with no toys, no treats and few, if any, new clothes. As the book starts she is enjoying the fact that she has come so far and that she has a Galaxy car, a Barbour jacket etc. Polly seems to be very envious of her friend and willing to do anything to either ruin her successful life or take it over for herself. However we do discover that she is not, or has not always been, completely bad. I thought the drama of the ending was fitting, and the epilogue just sent a shiver down my spine. The point is, there never is any "closure" for these two is there?
I was also completely engrossed by "Tarnished", which I read before "Cuckoo". The characters in this book live in a very different place, in more ways than one, to the country idyll in "Cuckoo", but again they are well drawn and all too believable. Looking forward to reading more by this author.

Secret Lives
Secret Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Secret Lives (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a real page turner that kept me up late at night. It dealt with tricky subject matter and this may have put me off if I had known beforehand. Once you get to know the characters, you just want to find out what has happened and what will happen next. I would recommend this;it is one of Diane Chamberlain's back catalogue and I found it less predictable and more gripping than many of her more recent books.

S SONIC Sonic The Hedgehog SOFT TOY 14 inch 35cm AQ plush
S SONIC Sonic The Hedgehog SOFT TOY 14 inch 35cm AQ plush
Offered by IN THE JUNGLE LTD
Price: 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever sonic toy!, 7 July 2012
This is a very good toy for children aged around 7-8 years.By Erin aged 8 This toy has been very popular and good value for money.

The Sand Horse
The Sand Horse
by Ann Turnbull
Price: 5.65

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Book, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Sand Horse (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. I first heard the story on Jackanory and it stayed with me for years. I finally found it in a bookshop and have read it to hundreds of children ( I am an infant teacher). My daughter loves it too.It never fails to bring a tear to my eye and a hush to the classroom.