Profile for I readalot > Reviews

Content by I readalot

I readalot "Jane" (Lancs UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Betron Bluetooth Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable 40mm Speaker For iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung, Nokia and MP3 Players
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what it says it is., 2 July 2015
Just what I wanted, small enough for a pocket but with big performance.

Elizabeth's Women: The Hidden Story of the Virgin Queen
Elizabeth's Women: The Hidden Story of the Virgin Queen
by Tracy Borman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chapter for me was the one on Mary, 16 April 2015
This is a different view of Elizabeth and, as usual with this author, VERY readable. The best chapter for me was the one on Mary, Queen of Scots. I'm usually aware of some author bias, and maybe Tracey has a liking for Elizabeth, but the clear, concise detail in one chapter is what I would really recommend to any student of the period. Excellent read. Her research is great and it shows in the bibliography.

iQualTech Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Pill-shape Design w/ Handsfree Mic + High Quality 2x5 Watt Speakers & NFC
Offered by iQualTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 April 2015
Fantastic sound for fantastic value. Classical music sounds great.

Bead Embroidery (Essential Stitch Guide) (Essential Stitch Guides)
Bead Embroidery (Essential Stitch Guide) (Essential Stitch Guides)
by Shelley Cox
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING USE OF MATERIALS, 29 Jun. 2014
Although I think this book is not really up to RHS standard I do like it as it is an interesting change from the goldwork I'm usually interested in and does give me a sense of how I could be imaginative with beads. It doesn't, however, have quite enough somehow. I'd have liked more examples and any thoughts about projects that are different, e.g. embellishing. The ring bind production is always good with these RHS guides: you can leave the page open and play with materials without having to crack the spine. All in all I think every one of these guides is worth adding to an embroiderers collection.

Midnight Fugue (Dalziel & Pascoe, Book 22)
Midnight Fugue (Dalziel & Pascoe, Book 22)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great writer, 19 Jan. 2014
and I have loved all of the Dalziel and Pascoe series. The plots are big and various, the characters are wll known after a while and Hill keeps them from being either boring. because of course people are always themselves and so how can a big, fat, bad-mouthed policeman be anything other than himself, or repetitive, because Hill invariably has a setting that interests. One of those writers whose passing is mourned as a great loss.

Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn
Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know what to expect, 19 Jan. 2014
and so I read this book with increasing surprise. As a historical novel it works if you aren't bothered about being expected to believe in reincarnation but I think calling it the Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn is a bit of a tease. I think that was because she is of such interest it was a hook to hang the pIot on. I've read better in the genre but I still finished it. However it was one of those books where I asked myself at the end 'why did I bother?'

Historic Doubts on the Life and Reign of King Richard the Third
Historic Doubts on the Life and Reign of King Richard the Third

5.0 out of 5 stars Given the recent discovery of Richard's bones this is worth a read., 19 Jan. 2014
First: it was written in the 18th century so Walpole assumed that anyone reading it would have been able to read Latin and so he doesn't translate the many quotes he gives. If you start with the idea that you are probably not going to get translations the book is still a very interesting and thoughtful reflection on the life of Richard III. What Walpole does that is so helpful is he goes back to original texts and contemporary writing. He shows how many of the books written about the period just repeated earlier writers and so perpetuated untruths as fact. Interesting from the perspective of a learned man in 18th C hoping that what he writes will be seen to be dispassionate about one of the great mysteries of history.

Goldwork: Techniques, Projects and Pure Inspiration
Goldwork: Techniques, Projects and Pure Inspiration
by Hazel Everett

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book on the subject, 19 Jan. 2014
IT really does what it says on the cover. I love the projects: e.g. a whole panel of the same leaf worked in all the different techniques just looks amazing. If your interest is in what you can do with metal threads etc. then this is the book that you will return to again and again. For techniques: Helen has produced simple to understand instructions: nothing left out. And it has an excellent index so that you can quickly refer to something if you want a bit of support.

The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles
The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles
by Rosemary Sutcliff

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my grandson, 19 Jan. 2014
He is 10 and just beginning to enjoy reading a good story. We watched the film made recently and he was so interested he went back to the book to find out more about the Romans. Now he just wants to go to Hadrian's Wall!!

Half Blood Blues
Half Blood Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Really unusual book, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Half Blood Blues (Kindle Edition)
Set in the years between the wars and afterwards this book about African Americans musicians in Berlin and Paris was a real page turner. The plot: who did what and to whom, keeps your interest, the characters are well drawn and the period too. I really enjoyed this and recommend it strongly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3