Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam

Adam

Page: 1 | 2
The European Union: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
The European Union: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Price: 4.12

4.0 out of 5 stars A good insight into the EU, 26 July 2014
A concise and easy read, well worth a look.

Flash Boys
Flash Boys
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a great read!!, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Flash Boys (Kindle Edition)
This book was amazing. Really well written and very informative. The dishonesty and self interest on Wall Street is just unbelievable. This book follows the story of people who saw the injustice and wanted to put things write for the sake of their customers. A few people can make a difference for both evil and good. I highly recommend this book.

The Railway Man
The Railway Man
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Personal and honest story., 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Railway Man (Kindle Edition)
It reads as an honest and personal portrayal. Documented life stories such as these are an asset to future generations on the folly of war and the terrible things humans do to each other when others are viewed as less than them.

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and easy to read., 10 July 2014
Brilliantly written, you dont need to be a scientist to understand and grasp the information in this book. I found this book to be really informative; I definitely have a better understanding of the workings of viruses, bacteria and species cross infection.

It informs without the drama and fear factor of some other books on this subject I have read. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone interested in this subject!!

Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace (Psychology)
by Margaret Thaler Singer
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It could happen to any of us!, 16 April 2014
It could happen to any of us! that is what I took away from this book.

I thought of people who get caught up in cults, as being weak minded or at the time somehow desperate and becoming ensnared. However, this book helped me to realise that this thinking is very wrong. Cults and cult leaders are skilful manipulators and any one of us could find ourselves ensnared in a cult or cult like thinking and behaviour.

Very informative, a good read.

Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices
Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices
Price: 5.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly argued and mostly irrelevant book., 16 April 2014
I was hoping that this book would educate me on the 'pagan' foundations of key Christian beliefs and customs. The book starts off in this direction, but then quickly diverts to focus on topics such as; should we meet in churches?, should we have paid priests? should we sing pre-set hymns? etc. Topics such as the origins of; the Virgin Mary, Immaculate Conception, death and raising of Christ, Easter, Christmas and the Trinity are not mentioned at all.

The authors dont focus on the pagan foundations of Christian belief; rather they focus almost entirely on how the early Christian's organised and worshipped, claiming that any evolution in worship practice beyond their strict interpretation of what is in the bible is clearly wrong. The authors completely ignore historical context. They also claim that Jesus is the founder of His 'Church' - yet quote the writings of the Apostle Paul extensively to make their argument about how Christians should worship. Paul, a man who had not met Jesus. According to the authors, Paul has the right to modify and direct Christians on matters of worship (as per Biblical text), but no person since Paul can hold such a right. An arbitrary selection on behalf of the authors. Who is to say that Emperor Constantine, a Christian convert in the same way as Apostle Paul - was not in fact directed by Jesus to assist in modifying and founding His 'church'.

I found this to be a poorly argued, insignificant work - I wouldn't recommend reading this book.

Samsung RV511 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 480M 2.66GHz, 6Gb, 640Gb, DVDRW, WLAN, Win 7 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop, 16 April 2014
It is now April 2014, I have had this laptop for over 3 years. It has never let me down!

Longitude
Longitude
by Dava Sobel
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of human invention, told with passion., 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Longitude (Paperback)
This book may be only 175 pages - yet I found it to be an informative, inspiring and a fun read. For me, it told an amazing story of human invention and human dedication to overcoming problems of the day. This was a time when human invention stirred the sole and the work of just a few dedicated and extraordinary men changed the world for the better.

The passion of the author for the subject matter is clearly evident in the writing and brings the story to life.

Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values
Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values
by Sam Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Science can have lots to say about morality!, 23 Jan 2011
The author makes an interesting argument. Science obviously has lots to say and reveal about morality - the problem is that we have not been allowed or willing to listen, or we didn't have the tools to find and then answer the questions.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't about bashing religion, rather it was about science and its role in revealing human morality and values. The approach was refreshing and while it was not a long or difficult read, it still made me think and reflect.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to explore the topic of morality and how it has and is developing in our societies.

The Case of the Pope: Vatican Accountability for Human Rights Abuse
The Case of the Pope: Vatican Accountability for Human Rights Abuse
by Geoffrey Robertson QC
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 5 Nov 2010
A startling and eye opening book. Anyone who believes that the abuse of children is wrong should read this book. What we are letting the Catholic Church get away with is a disgrace to human society - this book informs and educates.

Page: 1 | 2