Profile for B. Eaton > Reviews

Information Systems Management in Practice
Information Systems Management in Practice
by Barbara C. McNurlin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible of MIS, 27 Jan 2003
This was the recommended reading material for MIS when I was at Uni a few years ago and it still reads very well (if you like that sort of thing). Although I must confess to being someone that thought that the special feature about the making of The Phantom Menace that appears on the DVD edition was an insightful analysis of project management (really! it gave me a great respect for George Lucas!)
It dispels many of the myths that still abound; much of the emphasis of the book is on IT as strategic tool rather than a cost saving one. Neither does it pretend that everything is rosy in the garden, particularly where emotive issues such as downsizing (mass sackings) and outsourcing (getting you to apply for your current job with a different company for less money) are concerned. There are numerous case studies illustrating what at first seem like dry facets of commerce but end up being quite rivetting snippets of how successful businesses became such.
The only other thing is that the price tag is around 3 times what I paid a few years ago, but if you are an IT decision maker (in which case you should have read this book already) then the cost will be just a minor expense.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 14.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A master of her craft, 27 Mar 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It was sheer chance that I ever heard of Beth Neilsen Chapman and I still took a while to actually buy the CD but I'm very glad that I did. She's written songs for Faith Hill and Mary Chapin Carpenter (as half the UK population says: who?) among others, but her own work is nothing short of amazing. To be honest I only bought this for about three songs (Life Holds on, Happy Girl, and Beyond the blue) finding the rest a little too slow for my tastes. But it wasn't long before I was crying to 'Emily' and getting caught up in the rapturous love of 'All I Have'. Everyone will like this for different reasons but there's bound to be at least one song on this that will really touch you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7