Profile for JoLuJa > Reviews

Goose (Paper Aeroplanes)
Goose (Paper Aeroplanes)
by Dawn O'Porter

3.0 out of 5 stars If you've read the 1st one, it's a must., 18 Aug 2014
I actually feel a bit mean about what I am going to say about this book because I love Dawn, she is so warm and friendly and funny to all of her twitter followers and I really loved the first book. However, I feel like this book was a little bit flat. I didn’t feel the empathy for the characters that I felt in the first book. It almost felt like the book was written in a rush. That said, I would love to read a short story catching up with both Renée and Flo NOW in 2014. I want to know if they are still friends, do they both still live in Guernsey or not?

For me, the stories weren’t intertwined enough to grip me. I felt like i was following 2 completely different stories. I didn’t actually care what happened to Renée, I started to dislike her…..a lot! Maybe this was what Dawn wanted because just when you started to think “what a dick”, WHOSH something happens which throws you. I didn’t expect that to happen and I actually didn’t care too much about Renée and what would happen to her, i felt like she was the cog that moved Flo’s story on at that point and it made you want a happy ending for Flo.

Maybe it was because it had been 2years since i read Paper Aeroplanes or maybe because I am a little older than I think Dawn’s target audience is but it’s not a book i would go out of my way to recommend. If you have read the first book, read this one. If you haven’t read the first one, read it and then read this one.

Do make sure you have tissues handy though because it did make me cry towards the end!

A Place of Greater Safety
A Place of Greater Safety
by Hilary Mantel

4.0 out of 5 stars An epic journey through the revolution, 15 July 2014
I am not one for Historical fiction books so I was excited to read this and see how I got on. I debated whether to order this on Kindle or as a paperback and I decided to stick to my rule that any books for Uni will always be purchased as physical books. When the book arrived I was gobsmacked at the size of it – 872 pages! It took me about 5 weeks to actually make a start on the reading – partly down to having exams and partly because of the size of it.

i had read many reviews on the book – mainly saying stick with it! – and so I started on what would become a 6 week endurance trip! I started off not knowing a thing about the French revolution other than it was something that happened in France a few hundred years ago, involved a King called Louis and had something to do with lots of people getting their heads cut off!

The first couple of hundred pages are really just setting the scene and introducing the characters. I found that with some of the characters I didn’t really see why Hilary Mantel spent so much time introducing them, but then later in the book I wished I had paid a bit more attention to who they were. I found it hard to get my groundings with the book and the story in the beginning – I was waiting for the main event, the Revolution. What happened was actually very subtle and very clever. The Revolution is drip fed into the story. It isn’t a build up and build up to one massive event, you read and then find that the revolution has crept up on you.

I was impressed at the influence the women seemed to have on the story and the respect they were given as wives of the key figures – very different to women in England at the time. The male characters were interesting! I found it difficult that sometimes they were referred to as their christian names and then others as their surnames but when you get to around page 300 you have learnt that Desmoulins is also Camille, Robespierre is also Max and Georges/Georges-Jaques is also Danton.

The perspective of the story changes continually – again it is very subtle. In one paragraph you have a narrator telling you what is happening and then in the next the story is told from the perspective of Camille, Max, Georges or someone else and you don’t always know whose eyes you are seeing the story through until a few sentences in. Character wise, I warmed to Max – I started off disliking him and finding him very cold but towards the end I liked his integrity, although his allegiance to Camille did annoy me. Georges started off as a favourite of mine but then I saw his true, two-faced colours and his sleazy treatment of women and towards the end I despised him and wanted them to hurry up and cut his head off. Camille I always found to be snakey and untrustworthy.

Throughout the book, I had to keep reminding myself that this actually happened and that Hilary Mantel had based the story on factual evidence. There was one paragraph where they gang raped a woman, cut her head off, ripped her heart out and drank her blood. Nice!

Once you can get over the size of the book, if size is an issue for you (!!), it is an enjoyable read. I do wish i had bought it on Kindle then I may have enjoyed it better without physically being able to see how big it was. A few reviews I read did say that once you had got past half way and had less left to read than you had already read it became easier – I disagree as instead I found myself trying to race to the end and getting frustrated that I couldn’t get there. I tried reading a chapter at a time but some of the chapters were 50 pages long!

Overall, I did enjoy the book and I now know what happened in the French revolution. I avoided googling to find out what happened so the end was a surprise (ish) to me – you won’t be surprised to know that some people lose their heads at the end!

The Teashop on the Corner
The Teashop on the Corner
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, gut-wrenchingly uplifting. Friendship at it's best, 15 July 2014
I am sat typing this with my cheeks still damp from the last hour of my life which has been spent sobbing my heart out at the last 100 or so pages of this book. WOW! Milly, you have done it again.

The story is so heartwarming and lovely - it's about a group of random people who meet and become friends under the most random of circumstances. YES you can see many things coming fro early on in the book and yes, there are some surprises along the way and, of course, as with all Milly Johnson's books, there is an element of magic involved.

I loved the characters - I loved Carla, Molly, Leni, Ryan, Shaun, Paviter and Will so much, I really hope they pop up again in a future book.

It was exactly what you would expect from Milly Johnson - but brilliantererer! Every time i finish one of Milly's books I say "this is my favourite one so far"! This one is definitely the one which has made me cry the most.

You're the One That I Want
You're the One That I Want

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, well written, 1 Jun 2014
I pre-ordered this book a while before it was released having enjoyed Giovanna Fletcher's first book "Billie & Me". I follow Gi on twitter and i love how she interacts with her readers and you really see her conceive, grow and "give birth to" her books (at the same time as growing a human inside her!)

I thought the book would be a light holiday read but actually it was very thought provoking and to echo the thoughts of another reviewer, you feel like you are part of their gang. Gi writes the characters when they are younger very well and it brought back warm childhood memories for me reading it. It took me a while to realise that bits of Robert's wedding speech were in between certain chapters but once i did, they were an enjoyable addition.

I won't spoil any of it for anyone but it did keep me on the edge of my seat - there were so many possible twists but in the end i am glad that Gi "chose her love story and stuck to it". I had seen some retweets on twitter of her followers saying they were either team Rob or Team Ben and i have to say i flitted between the two, even being team Maddy at one point. In the end, i decided i was team tripod! :-) I loved the few racy bits - not too 50 shades and not omitted either. perfect. I also liked the added bits about the onesies and i think Gi reflected a bit of her and Tom's friendship/relationship in her writing. Like most people, i cried - but not at the end like i expected!

I can't wait for the next book. Fully recommended.

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, moving, heart wrenching and heart warming., 14 May 2014
I had never heard of this book until about 6months ago and then we had all of the hype around the film. I have recently read some Toni Morrison and Alice Walker as part of my uni degree and we have spoken at length about texts from within a culture group and what voice the stories give them etc.

My husband was keen to watch the film but, as an avid reader, i always insist on reading the book before the film. I bought this for 37p which is such a bargain! I sat down to read this at 8.30 last night and couldn't put it down until 12.30am! It moved me. There are parts that make you want to cry but i was too sad to cry! I was horrified that this type of thing could actually happen, did happen! I had to keep reminding myself this was a person's true experiences. It's like when you first see Schindler's List - the horror of what you see on screen is magnified by the fact that you know this actually represents something that truly happened.

I love that the book doesn't go too much into what happened after he got home and I really felt there was an almost rushed, detached was of telling the story - like he wanted to share his story (and the plight of his race, he stood alone but shoulder to shoulder with others) but he wanted to just tell it, let it go and get away from it.

I feel an attachment to Solomon, his bravery, his resilience and his love. I am looking forward to watching the film but i feel like i too need to now distance myself from the book before i can take that next step.

Yankee Candle Housewarmer Jar (A Child's Wish) - Large (22oz)
Yankee Candle Housewarmer Jar (A Child's Wish) - Large (22oz)
Offered by Save £££'s

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 5 Feb 2014
I love this fragrance, and the colour matches my living room too. Best price i have seen for these candles.

Marware MicroShell Folio Cover Lightweight for Kindle Fire, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Feb 2014
Fantastic case, bought for my son's Kindle fire. Hard wearing and it protects the kindle too. Worth the money if you are buying a kindle fire.

The Color Purple
The Color Purple
by Alice Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
Really lovely story about friendship, love and selfhood - and sisterhood.

Hard to read in places and you find yourself willing Celie to find her voice. As soon as she learns to love her body, she finds her voice and her selfhood.

Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix Bridge Camera - Black (16.1MP, Super Telephoto 60x Optical Zoom, 20mm Ultra Wide Angle Lens)
Offered by L&J Photo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 5 Feb 2014
What a fabulous camera. I was lucky to win a £250 amazon voucher in a school raffle and have always wanted one of these cameras. I was recommended this one. I already have a panasonic lumix compact digital so was happy to stick with the make i know.

The Zoom on it is amazing! the effects are brilliant - i had fun taking photos in the woods and using the high impact and monochrome effects. The intelligent auto is a brilliant feature for just pointing and shooting. I used it in a museum too and it took brilliant backlit photos of things behind glass.

My only 2 grumbles would be:
1. I wish it had come with a bag as i had to pay £15 for one in Currys.
2. I wish it had come with a memory card - that was another £15 in top.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 9:49 AM GMT

LeapFrog Explorer Game: Disney-Pixars Monsters University (for LeapPad and Leapster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Feb 2014
Fantastic game, my son loved it. Kept him entertained for a good few hours! Worth buying, especially if your child is a monsters inc fan

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5